logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Is this a top squad at 150 post-KotoR?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

55 Master Kota
28 Gran Raider x7
23 Captain Panaka
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
09 R2, Astromech
08 Mas Amedda
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Its 14 activations at 149 points. The idea is to keep the Gran alive while Kota builds up Force points. I got the idea from Dean, and this is what I came up with. It's kind of a 1-trick pony, and I can really see adding a back up shooter or mid-cost Jedi to make it really mean.

EDIT - I changed the title of the thread...

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Is this the best squad at 150 now?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hmm...I'm gonna say no.

Kota can only do 50 damage with Repulse, and his attack stinks in general. One character with Force Defense (say the Loda squad Matt ran at GenCon) and you'd be done for. Also, Kota may have a great defense, but think of this in relation to the Vader JH B&B squads. Vader has the same Defense, but also has Block, Deflect, AND Dark Armor, and yet he is no where near the top of the meta any more. Way too easy to bring down Kota and then you're squad is done for.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:19 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I tend to avoid 1-trick pony squads, to easy to make a mistake and get slaughtered. Basically if someone like Boba BH put his mind to it, he could chase down Kota until he somehow gets LoS and begin blasting away. If Panaka gets defeated first, your squad really can't hold his own. Also, if you're mainly planning on sending out the Gran's in hope of getting availablility for a Swap someone with Accurate can easily take them down. Han GH or Boba Merc can take 2 down each activate if they have LoS. And as Aaron said, if you're facing someone with Force Defense you're screwed...

Don't get me wrong, it definitely has good synergy. I just don't think it can hold up to some squads...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

No its not Dennis :)

Other than the obvious counters of Force Defense and Immunity,

Repulse is 50 dmg and movement. So to do it again another round, you will have to swap again to be really effective. Even then, at most you have done 100 dmg, Kota and Panaka are exposed to the point that one of them should die, and you have probably killed nothing more than a couple of ugos.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
No its not Dennis :)

Other than the obvious counters of Force Defense and Immunity,

Repulse is 50 dmg and movement. So to do it again another round, you will have to swap again to be really effective. Even then, at most you have done 100 dmg, Kota and Panaka are exposed to the point that one of them should die, and you have probably killed nothing more than a couple of ugos.

I guess I'm thinking about the overabundance of cloaked Mando Scouts I'm expecting to see.

They are tough to deal with.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Against Loda squads, or against the speedy cannon, this squad will have trouble.

Even aginst mandos, other squad will do it better.

I like the squad, but I'm not too convinced.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:59 pm 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I guess I'm thinking about the overabundance of cloaked Mando Scouts I'm expecting to see.

Against Mando Scouts, this is a great idea!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Against Mando Scouts, this is a great idea!

Hahaha....true!! Hmm...I may need to consider this idea for our EPIC games this week then (I'm sure I'll see more Mando Scouts than I want to, even with the 16 character limit :roll: ). Repulse 5 is an insta-kill for a Mando Scout within 5 squares, so that's not a bad idea at all. Would certainly be worth sacrificing R2 astromech for in the right situations as well. Hmm....

As we've been saying so far here, I'm not sure it's really viable at 150 points, as you really need a 2nd piece that can do damage to help you hold your own against the other big beasts. At 200 points though, I could definitely see some potential here, perhaps with Maris Brood or one of the other characters with the Repulse ability.

Post subject: Re: Is this a top squad at 150 post-KotoR?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:06 pm 

At 200 add Boba Merc. You get flight and a possible 18 square swap range, as well as his back up. Now, a 120 hp monster, isn't such a big deal if Boba can hit it a couple of times on the way in.

Plus you can use Kota's CE which makes Boba a major threat, even when you don't have cunning.

Edit - Don't know why I didn't think about this before, but you also have Mas in there, so Panaka never has to get near the swap like I was saying. That helps some, but Kota will still go down to easily as the only threat. At 200, I really like the idea. I would also throw R2 in there for some crazy swapping, running madness.

Think about it. R2 tows Boba at the end of a round, Boba intuits away from R2, Panaka swaps in Kota, and R2 is safe from the repulse. If you pull it off carefully, Kota could be adjacent to R2 at the end of that first round as well, which could put Boba, back in position, to be towed into a nice cunning double, or to set up a second Kota strike (assuming you have the fps to pull it off.) Ok, now I'm off to the 200 board to post my idea :)