logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Swiss Army Knifier
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Or would that be Knivier? Either way, I'm sure it's been looked at before, but I was playing around with the Czerka Scientist and the Imperials, and noticed how well the she complimented the Storm Commandos. So I wanted to try and fit her into a 150 SAK variant. This is what I came up with:

Thrawn 37
Mas 8
Nyna 18
Tarkin 11
Storm Commando x3 51
Czerka Scientist 13
Human Bodyguard 11

Total: 149

You guys know how it works. If you can keep the Czerka hidden and within 6 (with a BG for extra protection), your nearby SCs get a super stealthed quad attack at +13 for 30 (40 vs. stealth). Now, though there is a potential for 12 shots to start off a round here, I have no honest allusions of feasibly getting off all 12 shots in one phase. That's not the point. The point is just having the Czerka nearby to a few SC backfield to opperate as a solid threat while you position for a devastating base/shoot/swap/shoot. It certainly gives your opponent more to consider while they advance. Either way, once they advance on you, they can be in for a world of pain. Just the potential of 8 if not 12 attacks can become very real if they have no other way of dealing with SS other than to move all the way up the field.

Obviously, the limited activations hurts you when setting up for a next round volley, and a lot rides on good map choice. But taking into consideration the normal problems that plague SAK (fragility, force sense, disruptive, NTMTO, to name a few), what suggestions can you guys contribute to this build? I look forward to the feedback.

Post subject: Re: Swiss Army Knifier
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:48 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

why 3 SCs? I don't think that even with Tarkin/Thrawn you'd ever get three un activated targets. I'd drop the last SC and either grab some more activations, like swap fodder. Or even mr Lando, DS for a late round oppor shot.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 am 

Ruhk wrote:
why 3 SCs? I don't think that even with Tarkin/Thrawn you'd ever get three un activated targets. I'd drop the last SC and either grab some more activations, like swap fodder. Or even mr Lando, DS for a late round oppor shot.

The third one was partially in there as back-up and partially as a late round shooter, not as a first phase threat. I thought it couldn't hurt to have a third SC if one fell early, given other options at that point range do to their versatility. But remember, even without cunning, you're still getting 4 shots at 20 damage each with careful shot. Even though the shots are only at +9 (only 3 less than Lando with Opportunist), they will outdamage Lando while only hitting 2 out of 4 of their shots.

But I do like your idea of dropping the last SC for more activations/swap fodder, since admittedly it's not integral to the overall build. That lack of activations is the one weakness that has been bugging me and your suggestion is certainly something I will play around with. Thanks Ruhk.

What would you guys suggest for activations if I drop the last SC? I'd have 18 points to play with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:58 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Options:
6x Ugos
3x Grans and a Caamasi

Something else I thought of. Drop the Czerka (another 13), and use Lobot. In the odd case where extra attacks are not needed (I can't think of one.. but you never know)

Thrawn 37
Mas 8
Nyna 18
Tarkin 11
Storm Commando x2 34
Human Bodyguard 11
Lobot 27
Gran Raider 4

Preferred Reinforce:
Czerka Scientist 13
Gran Raider 4
Uggy 3

leaves you with 12 activations in all, but with Nyna, Tarkin, Thrawn and Mas, it might be too many non tech pieces. Something to consider I suppose.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I think you have too much beef and not enough bun.

Replace that SC with swap figs (and stealthy door openers). 2x Ugo are a must to compete on some 150 maps.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Engineer wrote:
I think you have too much beef and not enough bun.

Replace that SC with swap figs (and stealthy door openers). 2x Ugo are a must to compete on some 150 maps.

I disagree. Satchel Charge is a must, and Storm commando's have that. You cant get off 3 cunnings anyway, if you really need a door blown you could use a Storm Commando.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:09 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

if you really need door control that bad, replace the SC with all ugs. Otherwise, i would keep them in there.

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison