logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: NR 150, no MJJ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:38 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I posted this at the WotC site a while back, but I thought I'd bring it up here, hopefully getting some more feedback. I haven't seen anything similar around here, so...

(54) Kyle JBM
(27) Smug Han
(25) Jaina
(23) Wedge
(9) Dodonna
(12) 4x Uggie Demo

A solid 9 activations and 9 possible phases with Dodonna.

It's really a simple squad design. Evade makes Kyle a monster to kill, and it provides Jaina with some more defense. It's not dependent on winning initiative (only Jaina has cunning), and I am planning for the November rules change. Han can dish out quite a bit of damage at range, and Wedge is a nice scrub-killer. Thoughts? I believe the squad is pretty well maxed, personally. Any counters that come to mind?

Post subject: Re: NR 150, no MJJ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:08 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I think its that the first person to go after iniative is only going to activate one piece instead of two.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:08 am 

homer_sapien wrote:
I think its that the first person to go after iniative is only going to activate one piece instead of two.

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:40 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Just to make that as clear as possible... after initiative is determined, the player who goes first at the start of each round (that being the person who won init or the person he deferred to) will activate only one piece on his first activation phase. After that the activation goes back to normal and each player and they activate two pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd say its as close to Tier 1 as most squads like this will get (nothing I'd change either), but it'll be fairly finesse-dependent... Still, very nice job! This is as good as the New Republic is going to get without being initiative dependent :D

And props for forgoing Mara Jade, Jedi!! Haha

<Joruus> - (its VASSAL, so you'll crit or roll a 1)
*** 1d20B = 1 *** <Yodarulz>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:48 pm 

Darth_Jim wrote:
Thanks everyone. Now, back to squad, did you build this squad for the Wedge-Kyle combo, or to find a home for Han?

Both, really. I prefer to have disruptive and a tank in my squad, so Kyle is a personal favorite. Han is a nice, cheap shooter with pretty impressive damage output, and Wedge fixes his biggest weaknesses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I would drop Kyle for Mara, sorry. You need ranged damage output, and she delivers.

Kyle is too fragile at 54 points IMO.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I would drop Kyle for Mara, sorry. You need ranged damage output, and she delivers.

With Evade? I don't think so. He has Han and Wedge for ranged attacks, heck, I was thinking this would be a nice squad for you to run against that Mando squad you have had trouble with.

end of a round, charge Jaina out to base the Commander, a scout, or the Quartermaster possible, and Kyle after something, but more importantly, basing any mando and using disruptive. Han can fire away at the commanders once you are based. The Scouts won't do a whole lot, when they don't get twin, don't get the +4, and can't move. Sure, AoOs if they want to run, but if you set up right, that should allow you to end it long before they can take down Kyle and Jaina.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

With Evade? I don't think so. He has Han and Wedge for ranged attacks, heck, I was thinking this would be a nice squad for you to run against that Mando squad you have had trouble with.

end of a round, charge Jaina out to base the Commander, a scout, or the Quartermaster possible, and Kyle after something, but more importantly, basing any mando and using disruptive. Han can fire away at the commanders once you are based. The Scouts won't do a whole lot, when they don't get twin, don't get the +4, and can't move. Sure, AoOs if they want to run, but if you set up right, that should allow you to end it long before they can take down Kyle and Jaina.

I would probably cut them off with the Marauders. Parry the lightsaber attacks, and continue cutting up with Scouts.

And not just me. My wife has even better luck with this squad than I do (probably something to do with her being a better player, but don't tell her I said that - Bill, she was putting B&B stuff together before you even started talking about it on Wizos).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:59 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I personally like it. In fact, I've been trying to work with a NR squad without MJJ. I'm thinking for 200, take out an Ug and add in Boba Enforcer/Luke FS/Caamasi Noble...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:07 pm 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I would probably cut them off with the Marauders. Parry the lightsaber attacks, and continue cutting up with Scouts.

And not just me. My wife has even better luck with this squad than I do (probably something to do with her being a better player, but don't tell her I said that - Bill, she was putting B&B stuff together before you even started talking about it on Wizos).

Honestly, the Marauders shouldn't last that long... nor am I worried about them putting excessive damage on my pieces with disruptive in place. Han takes one out per shot (needing an 8 to hit). Kyle also has Grenades for situations like this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I really like this squad...that's because it's so much like my 200pt version (which adds MJJ and Wicket after dropping an Ug). Han Smuggler is very, very good with Wedge (and Dodonna), and Kyle IS a solid piece for his 54 pts, especially with evade and mobile attack (mobile grenades, zaps, grips and assaults). You won't be outactivated by many squads at all, and the ones that would outactivate you are swarms, which Kyle causes major headaches for anyway.

The only problem with the squad is that you lose a super-damage-dealer in Mara (Kyle's max is 60dmg, barring crits, and that's a big loss compared to Mara's 80/120). If anything, you could drop Kyle (and the very useful Disruptive!) for Mara and Wicket. Mara would be a mobile cunning shooter to complement Han's mobile opportunist...Jaina would wait and jockey for position while her partners suppress the enemy. The key with Mara in a squad like this is to be content to use her as a mobile SHOOTER until the action comes to her. In most cases, if Mara has full-HP and 2-3 FP (and therefore 2-3 assaults) in the mid-late stages of the game, you've won. Committing Mara early makes her less effective...try to play her more "male" (ie, non-committal! :D) than that. Anyway, that's how I play her in the 200pt version, and she's outstanding in that role.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 am 

There are other ways to play with two cunning attackers after the init change as well.

For example, if you have mara go after the big gun, jaina should run after a commander, czerka wicket, etc. Why? Because if you win init, you use Mara. Then your opponent will have to choose to either activate the commander (there by wasting one of his two activations) or give you cunning on it, almost surely killing it. The init rule will allow you to force your opponent into bad choices more than normal, two cunning attackers can and will still work. It will just play different.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29