logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Kota ICBM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:45 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

After Gencon, wanted to play something less serious with the some new pieces. Came up with a Kota Bomb squad using the Panaka I won in league. Again, not very competetive, but certainly fun:

General Kota 55
Captain Panaka 23
Mas Amedda 8
Mynock x2 10
Gran Raider 4
Qui-gon, Jedi Master 35
R2, Astro 9
Ugnaught x2 6

Total 150

Pretty straight forward. Probably played on the starship map (easier to get to opposing pieces). Build up force points with Kota while either sending out Qui-gon to harass the opponent, or just simply stalling while gaining gambit. Towards the end of the round, R2 flies a mynock 12 into a safe area (like the gambit turbolift on the hardback). Then the mynock flies another 12 into thick enemy territory (has flight and no savage) and Panaka swaps in Kota, dropping in the precisely aimed nuke (ICBM). Kota then goes BOOM with his Force Repulse 5 hitting as many pieces as possible. If you can catch opposing figs near a pit, even better. Also, if you want to do more damage, or you simply need more time to build up force points, you can have Kota attack someone after the first swap, and then go boom the next round, or vice-versa. This is helped by Qui-gon's Anticipation to re-roll your initiative roll to try and go first if you want to get a bomb off before you swap out and keep Kota safe.

Either way, after Kota does his thing, you swap him out for Qui-gon. Qui-Gon harrasses and kills scrubs until your opponent is forced to reluctantly kill him (and remember, he has master speed so he could be at the tail end of a swap to move a potential 43 squares to get into the heart of your opponent’s figs, or just track them down all the easier). When Qui-gon finally bites it, Kota should have a enough force points to pull off a few more bombs, and you should have at least equalized the activations allowing you to swap in at the end of a round, do the bomb, and then do another one at the beginning of the next round.

Obviously this isn't the easiest thing to pull off and you kind of have to tread water between bombs (and I just realized how light on swap fodder it is), but it's very fun if you pull it off. Dies against Vong and Force cancels, but can get around Disruptive with nice placement (and push it away for when you want to swap out). Against some of the popular squads (Snowspeeder, Mara NR) could potentially rout if back to back bombs are pulled off. Let me know what you think or what could improve it.

Post subject: Re: Kota ICBM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:34 pm 
General
General

It looks tricky, but doable. I have a more stationary Kota squad in 200. Yours almost seems easier to pull off. Plus, I love anything with Kota.

{11111111011][7777777777777777777777777777777
<(HHHHHQXX)=(77777777777777777777777777777777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Looks good, Ace. I've been tinkering around with a Kota/Panaka squad too. I'm wondering if Juhani might work pretty well with them too. She get's the CE from Kota, and Force Cloak would let her advance against shooters to set up a Kota bomb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

It does seem tricky, but it's powerful. As far as activations, the only problem is that you only have 10, and some can be killed off easily. That would make winning and using the bomb more difficult. Other than that, I love it.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:16 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I played against a similar squad this week. He had a Camaasi Noble as swap fodder, very effective and near immune to AoO's.