logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Storm Commandos/Nyna
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

My piece that I've never used before for my next squad is the Storm Commando. This is my first quick thrown together squad using them. I'm very open to ideas on things to change.

37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
18 Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel
51 Storm Commando x3
8 Mas Amedda
12 Gran Raider x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 12 activations)

Post subject: Re: Storm Commandos/Nyna
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

noghri commando's make excellent super stealth swap fodder, they can do 80 dmg. It will give you a nice balance of melee v non-melee.

How you add on is up to you. you can remove Lando and an SC giving you 35. Add in the Noghri and have 12 to work with (wicket and a gran)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:50 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Cunning Attack is key. The ability to fire off 2 shots at +13 for 30 damage is pretty good, but you only get that if you get your cunning Bonus (+9 for 20 is not near as good). I say that to say this: Tarkin could be a wonderful asset to this squad because of the ability to use 3 activations to get all of your SC shots off early in the round. 180 damage is a lot to throw out there.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:01 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

you're the second person to reccomend the noghri so I guess I'll be trying out three pieces I've never used in the squad now. Also went with Wicket/Gran for those last 12 points. I usually skip Wicket because he dies too fast for me, but I'm willing to give him another shot with SS to help him out.

Squad as it now stands:
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
23 Noghri Commando
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
34 Storm Commando x2
8 Mas Amedda
8 Wicket
16 Gran Raider x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 13 activations)

Any advice on map? Last week 2 out of 3 people i faced didn't have a map so there's a chance I'll have auto-win on map choice in a game or two this time too.

Eit to respond to LS: I'm not too sure about Tarkin. I've played cunning squads with three cunning shooters before and I rarely had targets available for them all at the start of a round. I usually just picked whichever two of them had the best options and left the third for later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Cunning Attack is key. The ability to fire off 2 shots at +13 for 30 damage is pretty good, but you only get that if you get your cunning Bonus (+9 for 20 is not near as good). I say that to say this: Tarkin could be a wonderful asset to this squad because of the ability to use 3 activations to get all of your SC shots off early in the round. 180 damage is a lot to throw out there.

it will be tough to set up Tarkin and the 3 SCs against anyone who is paying attention or really worth their salt.
What tarkin does allow you to do is get the attack/swap/attack off much easier so you will get a strong phase much more frequently.

He also allows you to put together a move swap attack mid round which is big for phases where your swap fodder or the piece your swapping are likely to get killed before you get to unleash your dmg.

But i agree, Tarkin GM is a very cool fig for swap armies its just tough to fit him in in 150 without some seriuos thought as to where your main dmg will come from.

In this build i think you'd have to lose Wicket and a gran or something.

homer_sapien wrote:
Any advice on map? Last week 2 out of 3 people i faced didn't have a map so there's a chance I'll have auto-win on map choice in a game or two this time too.

Both the deathstar and tatooine are good maps for SS with a lot of central low cover and open gambit otherwise. They both are shooter maps so your SCs should have good reign until you need to unleash the noghri.

Tatooine is tougher with the central storage room which melee teams will try and control but then the deathstar has the reactor shaft which people will use for advancement cover.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Death Star is my usual go to map when I don't have a reason to go for something else so I'll probably stick with it since I'm comfortable from either side.