logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunters 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:53 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

One of my first Yuuzhan Vong squads, so might not be that great.

27 Lobot
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
11 Advance Agent, Officer
12 Advance Scout x2
18 Ugnaught Demolitionist x6
149pts. 14+ activations

Keep the Jedi Hunters near commanders. Lobot brings in an MTB and a Gonk, unless they have Never Tell Me The Odds, then wing it. Please tell me everything you have to say.

Whoops I already posted this i think, sorry

Post subject: Re: Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunters 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:57 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

you should try to fit Yomin Carr in he adds more damage potential to all your vong, and a ranged attack that does more then thud bug for 19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I don't think cunning is worth the points. Yomin has a much better CE. If your target is unactivated, use thud bug, if activated use spit posion. The Vong Jedi Hunters really benefit from the posion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I'm in agreement with the two previous posters, the Thud Bug ability (a staple of the Yuzzan Vong) is counter productive with cunning attack. Deny the activation.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gotta say that I finally got to play the Vong JH today and he is what everyone has been saying about him. You need AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. The problem with the AAO is even if you win initiative you more than likely will have to move the AAO to stay withing 6 of the JH that is going to use the cunning. I just don't see where an opponent will let you get off 2 cunnings. I think Yomin is a must. I played this today.

Shaper
Yomin
5 Vong JH
3 uggies

I lost every initiative, missed like 8 crab armor saves, and rolled 1 on my attacks 3 times, yet I totally crushed my opponent and they only had 1 force user. The ability for your squad to do the spit poison when you can't get withing 6 and twin for a possible 30 a shot is incredible. I really was hoping these guys would make me play with the Warmaster at 200, but after today there is no way I wouldn't just go to 7 JH and maybe the AAO or some filler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:47 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I've noticed every time I think about adding the Warmaster to a squad I end up adding 3 VJH instead. 3 of them just outclass him in almost every way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:47 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

homer_sapien wrote:
I've noticed every time I think about adding the Warmaster to a squad I end up adding 3 VJH instead. 3 of them just outclass him in almost every way.

You are right, but the higher the point value of the game goes the more useful he is, because momentum is a easy condition to meet for that extra +4/+10.

I think that the Warmaster has his place in these squads, if nothing else to take some shots on the approach that would bring down a Vong Jedi Hunter. 200 hp with basically DR 10 does not get eaten through in any kind of timely fashion.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:31 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

You are right, but the higher the point value of the game goes the more useful he is, because momentum is a easy condition to meet for that extra +4/+10.

I think that the Warmaster has his place in these squads, if nothing else to take some shots on the approach that would bring down a Vong Jedi Hunter. 200 hp with basically DR 10 does not get eaten through in any kind of timely fashion.

It really becomes a difficult choice, the Warmaster can be a real horse to lead your squad, used him with a shaper with some JHs and other stuff and he really did a lot, not to mention he stays alive for ever plus the JHs can do even more damage with him, I've always had good luck when using him, and should be considerd for any post legacy vong squad i think,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:38 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

yeah your right I do need to take out the cunning and put in Yomin Carr, that's what I started with in 100.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:30 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

I used to play the Warmaster as a damage sink and for his CE. Now I would much rather have Boba BH (or Merc). I would rather deal damage than take damage. An accurate shooter is also nice to make holes in your opponents lines of followers to allow your YV JH to base their commander figs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

You need a ranged gun (preferably mobile) to make these squads practical.

Deliah, Boba Enf, Lando, Nom and Sing all fit the bill its just coming up with the right combos to compliment your YVJH force.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:55 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

When faced with a decision among those 4 I usually like to go with Lando, because he costs 15 points less than the cheapest alternative, although his ranged accuracy is completely inferior.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:39 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Lando would be good, so should I take out the activation control and put him in with Yomin Carr?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:33 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Just don't lose all of your door control, many melee squads at this point level do well to use doors to their advantage.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:20 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I think I should put in some Ugg's or keep Lobot in, but still get Yomin Carr, this is what I've been thinking

27 Lobot
21 Shaper
60 Vong Huntersx3
18 Lando, DS
19 Yomin Carr
3 Ugg
148 points, 8+ activations

Reinforcements bring 6 Ugnauts and still do the same as before

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am relatively new to the world of timed competetive play. What I have noticed is that if you are trying to win in an hour I just don't see the Shaper brining anything useful to the party. The Vong JH's are mini tanks enough without them. They are most likely going after fodder early, so you are going to use spit poison or the twin for plenty of damage. Their big beat is most likely going to be a force user so the JH on them with the poison is enough for that. Honestly, most of the games I have played the big guys rarely matter and most of the points come from gambit and scrubs. In 150 it just makes more sense to use a couple of Vong JH with a big shooter or if you are going full Vong theme then use Nom to give one of the JH's stealth and add Wicket so they have to come to you. Bringing 9 uggies to the party with only activations as your motivation just isn't enough for me. It really comes down to your local meta, but I have found this to work the best for me at 150. Bringing in Gran's to blow up and park with SS on gambit and your opponent gets nothing for defeating them seems to work best for Lobot.

3 Vong JH
Yomin
Nom Anor
Wicket
Lobot

I just don't think the Vong are quite ready for 150 yet. Certainly viable, just not a no brainer and am dissapoint that the shaper didn't help as much as I thought she would. Oh well.