logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: San Hill
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This topic strictly to help out the thread that Luke_Skywalker started in the DCI/Meta gaming section, and to give one central place to discuss the traditional San Hill squad.

This is the squad that placed in the semi-finals at GenCon '07

10 San Hill
62 Boba Fett, BH
41 Aurra Sing, JH
27 Lobot
9 Ugo Demo x3

149 points, 7+ activations. Reinforcements are typically Ugos or Grans, but could include a Bodyguard, Lando DS, cheap scrub shooters, etc. depending on the opponent's squad. Basic idea is to utilize Mobile Attack and Aurra's high Defense to force your opponent to come to you.

EDIT: Adding in one that seems to be a very competitive post-LOTF build:

49 Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side
41 Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
27 Lobot
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
10 San Hill
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Typical reinforcements with Lobot are the Muun Tactics Broker and 4 Ugnaught Demolitionists. This gives you between 8 and 10 total rounds of initiative control, and works against anything except for squads with Han GH or Han Rogue, as your opponent would be very unwise to play an MTB of their own and give you 20 points of Reserves every round. Tyranus having nearly a guaranteed chance to use Force Lightning 4 and the 75% chance of activating a key opponent's figure, followed up by Aurra's Twin makes for a nice amount of damage. Tyranus is also a beautiful anti-melee piece. The Kel Dor is the exit strategy for the MTB, but makes for a great scrub killer in the meantime.

Post subject: Re: San Hill
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Would you still play this 2 sets later? What changes would you make?

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

At this point, I haven't found any reason to change this, and I don't think it's really any less potent then it was after A&E. There are now different squads you might face, and while in terms of Tempo control you might've only seen mirror squads in the past, now you'll see the Dodonna variants at least. The fact that the Dodonna squads largely work with Force-using characters makes Aurra still a very good piece in this build, but the toughest matchups probably being the Han GH, Boba BH, Dodonna builds, which have no Force Users at all, and double Evade.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

It still nerf's the mtb, but I wonder if the New Count Dooku would be of value in this squad. When I have played it I have rarely taken shots with Aurra until I could have engaged in melee. It seems that with as much as San hill sets forth a sort of Camp around game that being able to renew and build up force points on him might make him a more effective piece than Aurra, I don't know for sure, but I think that the prospect requires some consideration.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:20 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
It still nerf's the mtb, but I wonder if the New Count Dooku would be of value in this squad. When I have played it I have rarely taken shots with Aurra until I could have engaged in melee. It seems that with as much as San hill sets forth a sort of Camp around game that being able to renew and build up force points on him might make him a more effective piece than Aurra, I don't know for sure, but I think that the prospect requires some consideration.

I was thinking the same thnx Dooku gives a lot of survivability against Jedi. Thequestion for San Hill now a days is how will it cope with Vong JH? I will ponder this and post a squad later tonight.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:04 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

What about adding in some high-damage shooters like Deliah Blue and Jariah Syn in place of Boba, BH to do more damage to the YVJHs? Lobot would then bring in 2 Twilek Bodyguards to soak up some of the damage from the YVJHs and act as a sort of meat shield.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Luke_Skywalker wrote:

The problem with adding the new Tyranus is that the point numbers don't add up very well.
Boba, BH
Tyranus, LotDS
San Hill
Lobot = 148

... so as you can see it really limits what you can do with Lobot... you'd have to downgrade Fett to his Enforcer version or to someone like Deliah Blue and Lando to maximize the activation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, there's a similar NR build that only has 4 base activations, but it has different tricks.

I think Tyrannus definitely adds something different to the squad, but he'll have just as much trouble against the YVJH's as Aurra will, IMO, and he suffers a LOT against non-Melee Jedi like Mara JJ. I haven't played with him at all outside of sealed event, but I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed. I think he'll be a GREAT addition in 200 point Sep squads, and could possibly be used in 150 points, but not in a traditional San Hill build.

IMO, Boba Enforcer, Deliah, and Jariah just don't have enough of a reliable attack rating to consistently hit targets. That's why Boba BH is important to the squad, so that you make sure you are pretty much always doing damage to your opponent. Also, each of those only have 1 attack, further reducing their damage output compared to Boba.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think you'd agree Lobo that a max of 10 activations is really not enough for San to deal with all the possible squads you might face. That's mostly why I don't think Tyranus, LotDS works with 150 San. That mixed with what you said (and what I was getting at but didn't articulate in my previous post) that the mix of lesser shooters is actually a net loss for the squad all considered, is why Tyranus should only be added to San squads at the 200 point level. As much as I would love to use him at 150, I would be very reluctant to use him in a competitive squad at the 150 point level.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

What about a reworked version of this squad with Deliah and Lando taking the place of Aurra Sing. Something like this:

Boba Fett BH 62
Deliah Blue 95
Lobot 122
San Hill 132
Lando DS 150.

of course if you do that then we are back to limiting Lobot's Capabilities, and in fact he can only bring in the ugnaughts. Still I'd hesitate to say that it is less powerful than the other version, especially since everyone in this squad can mobile to stay out of trouble. Deliah's Accurate shot would allow you to focus your damage a bit more, though Aurra's staying power would be missed. It also brings to mind the question of Why San Hill with this build though, this exact thing could be done with Dodonna, and then if you need 2 activations in a given round, you can have it.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'd be worried about rushing (Jedi) swarms with that build, which was (is) always one of the difficult matchups for San. Aurra gave you the option to put a meatshield in there to soak up some of the damage those swarms dished out and give it right back for the most part. Taking her out and not replacing her with something capable of slowing down the rushing swarm will only make your job tougher, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Darth Ruthven wrote:
I'd be worried about rushing (Jedi) swarms with that build, which was (is) always one of the difficult matchups for San. Aurra gave you the option to put a meatshield in there to soak up some of the damage those swarms dished out and give it right back for the most part. Taking her out and not replacing her with something capable of slowing down the rushing swarm will only make your job tougher, IMO.

Part of the reason that that was always such a problem was because of a difficulty to do damage to them on the approach. Instead of 2 20 damage shots per round this would produce 2x 30 damage shots per round. If you could get 2 rounds of firing off then instead of a full hp JWM, you might get a dead one or 2.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Part of the reason that that was always such a problem was because of a difficulty to do damage to them on the approach. Instead of 2 20 damage shots per round this would produce 2x 30 damage shots per round. If you could get 2 rounds of firing off then instead of a full hp JWM, you might get a dead one or 2.

It's possible. I guess we won't know until you play it and get back to us on how it did :) But since you're using all fringers I'd use Dodonna so you can move two to start a turn to get max damage with Blue and Fett if you wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
What about a reworked version of this squad with Deliah and Lando taking the place of Aurra Sing. Something like this:

Boba Fett BH 62
Deliah Blue 95
Lobot 122
San Hill 132
Lando DS 150.

Aurra is desperately needed as a damage sink, Jedi Hunter and swarm controller, if anything I would take out Boba for Deliah and Lando and throw in a bunch of filler for the mirror match or Dodonna squads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Darth Ruthven wrote:
Luke_Skywalker wrote:

It's possible. I guess we won't know until you play it and get back to us on how it did :) But since you're using all fringers I'd use Dodonna so you can move two to start a turn to get max damage with Blue and Fett if you wanted.

I was thinking that, and since it is completely fringe at that point there is no need to stay with San, Dodonna is better. If that is the only piece with a faction you have. I'll call it a New Republic squad to be funny.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, if you're going to run those different pieces, I would DEFINITELY play Dodona instead. Right now, that is the only thing that is holding San back at all, is that you're still forced to activate only one piece.

Of course, with 2 new Disruptive pieces in Han and Kyle, it shouldn't be too hard to play dirty tricks with your opponent and move San into the Disruptive bubble at the end of a round.

On switching out pieces from the current San builds....I'm just not sure. Last year I played around with the build where you swap out Boba BH for Boba Enforcer, Lando DS, and extra Ugos, but I just never felt like it had enough punch. Plus, the difference between Boba Enforcer's +15 single attack, and Boba BH's +18 Twin is actually quite huge. And to be completely honest with you guys, I never used Lando DS a single time during the Championships at GenCon. See if you can figure that one out. ;)

Aurra JH is still going to be more valuable than Deliah and Lando or any combination like that as well, IMO. She can dish out 80-120 damage with Blaster Barrage. Her high Defense makes her a MUCH better choice than most other pieces alone. The other problem with subbing in Deliah and Lando DS is that you actually LOSE overal activations. So, in a match against my squad in the first post, you're going to lose a good majority of the time, especially when my Aurra/Boba Combo can kill one of your pieces every round once the engagement starts, but it will take at least two rounds for you to kill either of mine, possibly more if you don't roll well enough (at best, Deliah still needs a 9, and Lando needs a 12 to hit Boba in cover, and it's 10 and 13 respectively to hit Aurra!).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Aurra's Defense is the same as Boba Fetts. And Aurra doesn't mobile. I was just thinking about it as an alternative, both Lando and Deliah have 2 defensive powers that Aurra lacks, Mobile attack and evade. While I agree that you do not have pieces to stall your opponents while you keep Boba Fett on the move, You gain more possibility for unanswered shots.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Aurra JH's is the same as Boba BH, but 1 better than Boba Enforcer. Besides, she has 30 more HP (which is a BIG difference....can't kill her in 1 turn like you can do with Mara Jedi or any of the Bobas). But survivability isn't the problem, it's damage ouput. In all the games I've played, by the time Aurra gets into the fray, Mobile Attack or Evade wouldn't help. She has the potential to do at least 60 damage per round, and often times, more like 80-120 depending on the available targets. Boba Enforcer can do a max of 20 damage each round, unless you get lucky enough to try the Missles 30 route and your opponent has lousy luck with saves.

And Lando DS will never be anywhere close to Aurra's potential in my book. It's entirely to easy to just base him and blow him away. Only has to fail one Evade save on long-distance shots and he'll be done for later on. And his +12 attack with Opportunist, while decent, stil has a tough time hitting more pieces, when they are a 22-24 in cover. It ends up being a 50/50 chance at the 30 damage at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:12 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

If there is to be a change made to the original build, I would drop Boba. His damage output is considerable, but for 62 points I can get a lot more than 40 dmg a round. You could fill in Dashing Lando and Deliah Blue, as has been mentioned before. Both have decent stats and damage output. the remaining 21 points you could spend on Pickpockets in case the opponent rushes you. Then you still have 3 melee pieces with Opportunist, that can attack at +12 for 20 dmg. They should be played defensively, of course, to make sure that Gregarious works on them (at least San should still be around ;) ). Alternatively you could use 3 Aquassassins to be more flexible on how to deploy your minis (or you can use a mix of both).

With this build you have 8 minis + Reinforcements and 6 of them can deal out damage quite well.

As has been pointed out, too, to lose Aurra would mean to lose San, too, since both, Ozzel and Dodonna, are better for themselves than San.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:00 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I too was doubtful of Fett, BH. I still would likely lean toward Lando & Enforcer in 150, but BH still isn't a bad option. It works.