logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New Hoopdie squad?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:12 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

STSparks played this squad at our venue on Sunday. He lost in the final round due to a Disintegration on the Landspeeder in the first round, first attack by Boba BH.

Luke's Landspeeder
Han Scoundrel
Lando DS
Dodonna
Lobot
Ugo

His reinforcements (against me anyways) were a Human Bodyguard and 3 Ugos. He played it very much like any other Dodonna or San Hill squad. The 3 solid attackers worked very well, even though he didn't have a piece like Princess Leia or the Bothan Noble for the extra attacks. The Landspeeder's a tough beast to take down with as many HP as it has as well.

Post subject: Re: New Hoopdie squad?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I was checking out the "current top squads" thread in the DCI/Meta section and came across this squad. I guess I missed it when you posted it originally. My only question is do you Lobo (or anyone) feel that you would be better served by adding Princess Leia or a Both Noble to give two extra shots a round, or do you like the all mobile build the way it is? I sat here for 10 minutes and debated it with myself and could not convince myself one way or the other. I was looking around for ideas on what to play this saturday since its my LGS's first 150 DCI and thought this might be something that would do very well in my Han/Mara/Kararn-dominated local environment. Also, since I've never played 150 DCI, what map would you suggest for this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, if you go back and find the Tourney Report I did for this (should be from mid-April, I think 4/13), then you'll see I was running a somewhat similar build with Luke's Snowspeeder, Han Scoundrel, Dodonna, Bothan Noble, etc. It was a tough, close game, but the Landspeeder's massive HP, Lightsaber vs. my Snowspeeder, and Deflect made it a total beast to deal with. You'd have to drop Lando to get the Bothan Noble in there, or drop Lando AND the Ugo to squeeze in Leia. While it does give you another 10-20 damage per round, it forces you to leave a piece exposed in order to pull that off. In todays meta, I'm not sure you can take that chance. Leaving something exposed is usually asking to get pounded if you lose init. Luckily, with the Landspeeder's Deflect, you can often survive that, but it's much tougher when it's a barrage from Boba BH, a la the game I referenced where Sparks lost his Landspeeder in the first round to a Boba + 2x Bothan Nobles. The Mobile Attacking should allow you to stay completely out of LOS for at least the first few rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:12 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah that is basically the debate that I had with myself last night. I guess I'd have to playtest a few different builds and see what exact build I liked the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:03 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Last Gencon was pre-MTB, so a squad with no initiative control had a decent chance of winning at least one critical initiative. I very frequently started the round winning init and with the landspeeder having LOS to something worth shooting - and was able to twin it via Leia, then take the Landspeeder's turn, shoot it and move away.

I would agree with Lobo that this is much harder to pull off these days - hence, the squads with multiple big mobile shooters. Personally I want to try pairing the landspeeder with Fett Merc in 150. Both are capable of acting independently and are very hard to kill - though for different reasons. I'm just not sure what the proper support is - 45 points left to play with, that will buy you a lot of fun toys with the Rebels.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My local meta has gone in the direction that you can never count on init control. All I see is Han GH at my local venue, so I have been looking for a squad that can be an effective counter to it. I really don't want to resort to busting out my own Han GH squad, so I have been looking around for ideas that I feel will compete. I think this has a good shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think this squad, or the Snowspeeder equivalents do quite well in the current NTMTO environment. Han Scoundrel is still a decent piece even without the Cunning bonus. And with the Snow/Landspeeder doing most of your heavy shooting, I often ended up using Han to shoot at lesser targets anyways, at least in the first couple rounds. Use the Land/Snowspeeder with it's large mobility to harass the main targets, and use Han to pick off the stuff that gets in the way. When you do win init, and can get off a nice Cunning/Twin, then go for it. Otherwise, don't be too picky.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah that is basically how I saw this squad playing out, Lobo. I'm going to pick off lower priority targets with Lando and Han while the speeder harasses the big shooters on the opposing side except on the rounds that I win init.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

play-tested this tonight against a push squad and a Francor/Nom Vong squad. I beat the push pretty easily, and beat the vong by time, but we played both games out until it was a clear winner and the vong actually beat me after we went past the hour time limit. I'm impressed with this overall now that I played it and I think its very strong. I may change it up a bit when I play it tomorrow and get some disruptive or force sense in there since I have a feeling I'll see Vong and Imp SS at least in tomorrow's tournament. Not sure how I'll tweak it yet, but I'll post what I played here and maybe do a write up of the tourney :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:19 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

went 4-0 and took 1st at a 7 player 150 DCI event today. took home easy wins against a SAK squad, a wookiee swarm squad, a Republic Jedi and Sevs build, and a Francor/Nom build. I'm working on a tourney report right now and should have it at before I go to bed. I was very impressed with how well this squad handled itself. I played on Bespin and got my map 3/4 times but lost side all three times and got stuck with the landing pad each time. I still managed to pull off 4 pretty easy wins anyway, however.