54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
27 Lobot
25 Han in Stormtrooper Armor
25 Jaina Solo
09 General Dodonna
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Default reinforcements: MTB, Ugnaught x4

I have to win 10 rounds or less.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: A 150 I am tinkering with
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:17 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I like it. The only thing I wish you could do with it is a good shooter... which is why I lean toward using Han, GH. You could roll the dice (literally!) and try to kill the MTB with katarn's grenades in the last few rounds... maybe if you get him up there a few rounds before you have to kill him, the opponent will do the honors for you anyway. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm 
General
General

So using Dodonna, you activate last and charge Kyle and Jaina adjacent to your opponent, then you win init and pound on them. Interesting. 10 rounds seems like enough for most 150 games. It's not like you're playing a Mobile shooter squad that your opponent can just wait out. You'll have Kyle in their face by the 3rd round for sure.

Does Kyle provide enough damage output without a good shooter backing him up? Jaina *should* be able to get off one 60 damage Double Cunning Attack if everything works well, but she'll most likely die soon after that. The brunt of damage output is going to be on Kyle's shoulders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

shinja wrote:
The brunt of damage output is going to be on Kyle's shoulders.

That's my one concern, yeah. I think with renewal I'd be using grip and lightning a lot to allow him to retreat away from other melee figs and then close on them when they've been softened up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Except that Kyle doesn't have Renewal. This is defnitely something I want to tinker with as well once I get Kyle. Although, it will be very much dependent on how quickly your opponent plays. There were a couple games at the GenCon championships where we did play 10 rounds or so. Technically, as long as nobody else gets killed along the way, you'd have 11 rounds, and still be left with the MTB and one other pieces.

I would say though, if I faced a squad like this, I'd be very tempted to turtle and touch activate a LOT. Who cares if I don't get any gambit, as after the 4th round, I'd be getting points from the MTB every time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LoboStele wrote:
Except that Kyle doesn't have Renewal. This is defnitely something I want to tinker with as well once I get Kyle. Although, it will be very much dependent on how quickly your opponent plays. There were a couple games at the GenCon championships where we did play 10 rounds or so. Technically, as long as nobody else gets killed along the way, you'd have 11 rounds, and still be left with the MTB and one other pieces.

I would say though, if I faced a squad like this, I'd be very tempted to turtle and touch activate a LOT. Who cares if I don't get any gambit, as after the 4th round, I'd be getting points from the MTB every time.

Yeah I got carried away and was thinking about him with the 200 point game squad I played last weekend and forgot that Boris isn't using Luke. Even with his 4 force points, I would still be tempted to use them on lightnings and grips for guaranteed damage... but it all depends on what I am facing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I don't think that 10 rounds or less will be an issue due to the constraints of time, but if you could squeeze in a few more activations to fodder kill I would. Can I ask Why Kyle instead of Mara?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Can I ask Why Kyle instead of Mara?

Because Kyle kicks butt ;)
He can also use nades against SS bomb squads. Most SS squads include at least 1 Kel-Dor BH now. Disruptive can be a big advantage.

Looks like a fun squad to play, definately would make your opponent scared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:15 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

While I understand the advantage of using Kyle instead of Mara, there is a 9 point difference (3 extra rounds of initiative fodder) and Mara deals double the damage per round, because you always have initiative. Of course Kyle is a little bit better if you choose to not bring in the MTB and switch your strategy to out activating your opponent, which this squad has the option to do.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I agree with Lobo on this. If I had to play vs this, Id be very tempted to turtle and just wait you out. Make you come to me or make a mistake.

"If at first you don't succeed, before you try again, stop to figure out what you did wrong." -Leo Rosten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:12 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

LoboStele wrote:

I think this might work. On Mustafar walk into the above rooms and take a nap with the door closed.

For casual play the "tempo" figs are okay, for DCI, I think they are a poor choice of units to be created.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well with Kyle you could always run the MTB adjacent to some enemy figure and nade it early, or on Mustafar run it into the gambit zone, that is almost a guaranteed way of getting a figure killed.

ImageImage