logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Sith viable in the new Meta?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK...so I was playing with things, and I found this:

Darth Krayt
Darth Talon
Ugo Demo x6

150 Points, 8 activations.

I know it's a bit light on activations, but what it lacks there, it makes up for in other ways. Talon is a beast when under Krayt's CE. And Krayt himself is a nasty sucker too. The squad has 300 total HP, which is pretty equivalent to most the other meta squads out there. However, just saying it has 300 total HP doesn't take into account Crab Armor and Bubble, which really put it at probably being closer to 400 HP, as long as Talon has time to build up some FPs.

Each piece has nice ranged damage with Lightning 1 and 2. Krayt has anti-swarm control with Lightning 2 and Sweep. It's going to be a little dependent on winning initiative in order to pull off Talon's Double/Twin.

I know it's exceptionally weak to B&B, as it has no counter for that, but I never see that at my local meta, and from what I've seen lately, it's slowly disappearing from the national level as well.

I think this can compete with some San/Dodonna builds, but will be very dependent on winning the crucial init after you've run Krayt and Talon up to engage the opponents shooters. If you win init, you can kill either Boba BH, or Aurra JH with just Talon and Krayt's two activations. Even less than that if you can manage to get off a lightning or two on the way.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Sith viable in the new Meta?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
What do you think?

You can't beat Vong with this build. I have tried 10 times. Talon desperately and I mean DESPERATELY needs Sith Rage to be perfectly balanced.

You pretty well laid out all of the other problems.

I would recommend dropping Krayt for Caedus at 150 and grab some more Ugs/Lobot while you're at it to up your activation count.

Caedus is a better counter to Vong, and Talon is great at beating just about everything else once she gets up to about 7 or 8 Force.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Don't have Caedus yet, but I'll have to try it when I do get him.

Yeah, vs. Vong was the one thing I thought of just a few minutes ago actually. Talon and Krayt together can't even kill two Vong JH's in one round, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Don't have Caedus yet, but I'll have to try it when I do get him.

Yeah, vs. Vong was the one thing I thought of just a few minutes ago actually. Talon and Krayt together can't even kill two Vong JH's in one round, lol.

I have an extra for trade. :shock:

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Actually, funny thing, I got a Caedus that night in the prize support boosters we opened. :D Thanks though.

So, the new build would look like:

Darth Caedus
Darth Talon
Lobot
Gran
Ugo

Still probably not top tier, as even with Lobot's reinforcements, I think this would have a tough time against B&B or San Hill. Maybe not too bad though. If you can get the jump and win init against San Hill, you could kill either Boba or Aurra using Flow Walk and a follow-up of regular activations from both Caedus and Talon. Certainly should be fun to play. Probably a good Tier 2 squad at least. I think I'll wait to see how much Vong are going to get played locally first though. Last week there were 3 Vong squads, and they all would have been frustrating to beat with this squad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Actually, funny thing, I got a Caedus that night in the prize support boosters we opened. :D Thanks though.

So, the new build would look like:

Darth Caedus
Darth Talon
Lobot
Gran
Ugo

Still probably not top tier, as even with Lobot's reinforcements, I think this would have a tough time against B&B or San Hill. Maybe not too bad though. If you can get the jump and win init against San Hill, you could kill either Boba or Aurra using Flow Walk and a follow-up of regular activations from both Caedus and Talon. Certainly should be fun to play. Probably a good Tier 2 squad at least. I think I'll wait to see how much Vong are going to get played locally first though. Last week there were 3 Vong squads, and they all would have been frustrating to beat with this squad.

I put this together last night on vassal, for fun:

Talon
Caedus
Lando Dashing Scoundrel
Ugnaught x5

It's similar to something my friend played and won with at E-Con in the 150 event (though to be fair there were only four of us. It was a tough squad, don't get me wrong, but it's also hard to gauge viability levels in only 2 rounds).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Caedus has got to be a better fit vs Krayt when paired with Talon. I've run a variant of the Krayt/Talon squad a few times and the loss of loner caused waaaay to many mis-fires on her attacks. I wasn't rolling particularly well, but she needs to reliably hit other beats to be worth over 50 points.

She and was tied up by Kyle with 8-9 FP from Luke and it got ugly quick. After Krayt wiped the floor with Mara, Jedi he came over to try to give her a round of 4 attacks. I had forgotten one thing.....Disruptive on a 140 point character is sick.... :atat:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

punxnbutter wrote:
Caedus has got to be a better fit vs Krayt when paired with Talon. I've run a variant of the Krayt/Talon squad a few times and the loss of loner caused waaaay to many mis-fires on her attacks. I wasn't rolling particularly well, but she needs to reliably hit other beats to be worth over 50 points.

She and was tied up by Kyle with 8-9 FP from Luke and it got ugly quick. After Krayt wiped the floor with Mara, Jedi he came over to try to give her a round of 4 attacks. I had forgotten one thing.....Disruptive on a 140 point character is sick.... :atat:

I compare the Krayt + Talon combo to the argument in favor of using combined fire.

Do you want to make four attacks at +11 or 2 attacks at +15?

Unless you are just shooting low defense scrubs, you're going to want that higher attack value. Sometimes even then, you may wish you had combined...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:17 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boris wrote:
punxnbutter wrote:

I compare the Krayt + Talon combo to the argument in favor of using combined fire.

Do you want to make four attacks at +11 or 2 attacks at +15?

Unless you are just shooting low defense scrubs, you're going to want that higher attack value. Sometimes even then, you may wish you had combined...

I always try to get a low cost ranged scrub into squads for combining fire just to make shots that much easier to make. I usually combine fire on shots I need to have even if they are only needing 4-6 to hit just to lower the chance of a miss, just to make sure I hit. I'll almost always take the better chance to do some damage than a lower chance to do damage but potential for more damage dealt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:29 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

are u sure you're allowed to combine fire on melee attacks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

kylr2themoon wrote:
are u sure you're allowed to combine fire on melee attacks.

You totally missed the point. What he said was that the Krayt + Talon combo has a low attack value and although they have a good amount of attacks, they will miss a lot. Think about Darth Maul CoTS, Quad attack, but +13 doesn't Hack it, wouldn't you rather have someone like Shaak Ti for a similar cost? only 2 attacks but easily has an attack value boosted to over 15 most of the time.

ImageImage