Imperial Dignitaries

--Purple People Eaters--
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
8 Wicket
(150pts. 7+ activations)

Well as of this moment this is my favorite Vong squad at 150. Nom gives the Shaper SS making it a hard to get target, while the VJH's can take out just about anything. Reserves vary from Bombs, to Lando DS, to other fodder. Nom is not to be overlooked as he shoots at a +15 for 30 damage of non-deflectable damage.

Whadd'ya think?

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject: Re: Purple People Eaters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wicket with SS is amazing, it looks like YVJHs are the new JWM. I would probably downgrade one of them for an Elite Warrior and two uggys for extra door control and the option of bringing in an MTB through Lobot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:08 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
Wicket with SS is amazing, it looks like YVJHs are the new JWM. I would probably downgrade one of them for an Elite Warrior and two uggys for extra door control and the option of bringing in an MTB through Lobot.

The Elite Warrior is a HUGE downgrade IMHO. You lose 20 HP, 1 Def, 2 Attack, Vonduun CA 6, and Jedi Hunter. To me the Elite Warrior is nearly never worth it. (Unless you make a Subaltern build...)

Those VJH's are more durable than any other piece for it's points IMHO. Combine that with the Shaper and you have a tank that can dish it as well.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So I have made an alteration to this squad and I feel it may be a top squad. The only question is do I use the Shaper or Yomin?

--Purple People Eaters--
34 Nom Anor
80 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x4
19 Yomin Carr
8 Wicket
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 10 activations)

4 VJH's is very difficult to tear through. With a SS Wicket and Yomin they will have a slew of abilities to abuse as they engage the opponent. Nom is a solid shooter and gives Yomin/Wicket SS.

For any of you Viking fans out there you will respect the name. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yomin makes for a nice piece in these builds because it gives you the option for some decent damage from 6 squares away if you can't reach the opponent for a normal attack. Sure, the JH's already have Thud Bug, but the Spit Poison gives you the added damage if they are already activated as well. I don't know though, with 4 JHs, that's a LOT of extra damage from the Shaper's bonus per round.

The biggest thing I hate about either the Shaper or Yomin is how close they have to stay to the action. It's SO easy for something with Flight or Wall-Climber to get past your JH's and assassinate that key support piece. Last time I played an evening of serious 150 pt competition, I was using the SAK w/ 2 Storm Commandos and the Noghri Commando, and I used a Raxus Prime Trooper to EASILY slip past the JH's and use the Noghri to kill the opponent's Shaper. At that point, it was super easy to finish off the rest of the squad, as I just moved or swapped around the SCs to keep them out of range from the JHs. Pieces with Flight, like Luke's Snowspeeder, will do that job even easier, and without any initiative control, that speeder may sneak in there and then back out again without any damage.

Thinking about it though, these Vong squads might just be a perfect counter to the San Hill builds though. A key problem with San squads is in pure damage output per round. Aurra JH will rarely hurt the JHs from range, doing only 10 damage per hit, which will usually get absorbed by the Crab Armor. The Tyranus variants will suffer too without being able to use Lightning or any of Tyranus' abilities, which are what make him dangerous. Aurra would have to do all the work, but she'd get shredded in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:03 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Your squad definitely can find a place in the meta, what will hurt it is cannon builds, On of my favorite 150 pt squads is this:
50/050 Han Solo GH,
27/077 Lobot
52/129 4x Kel Dor Bounty Hunters
09/138 General Dodonna
12/150 4x ugnaught Demolitionists

I think that you can see where this is going, but MTB for reinforcements with 4 more ugs.

Detonate a Kel-Dor next to a VJH, then your first activation is a Han Greater Mobile attack. And that means 1 toasted Jedi Hunter. <30+20+20=70, that includes a successful save on all crab armor saves>

Squads like this one will give you plenty of headaches.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I would probably choose the Shaper over Yomin, even though Yomin does give you more range the Shaper is better against the mirror match. With Yomin, if your opponent is lucky, your YVJHs won't damage them at all, but with the Shaper it's at least 10 damage. Of course, if you face a lot of B&B Yomin would probably be better than the Shaper because of Spit Poison, but the YVJHs can handle any big beefs well enough that they don't necessarily need Spit Poison.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I like the first variant better. Absent flight it means giving up 40 damage for AoA if they try to break off for a Shaper kill. Spit poison is only 20 damage while trying to get into twin range for what is probably another 2 attacks (80 damage) Beside the fact that Yomin's CE can be disrupted....

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!