I had an idea for how to use Katarn, but I am not sure if it will work well:

Kyle Katarn, JBM 54
Deliah Blue 33
Lobot 27
Jan Dodonna 9
Kel Dor BH x2 (26)
----------------
149 Pts 5+ activations

in most cases Lobot brings in max activations for exploiting with Dodonna. Blue and the Kel Dors shoot down field while you close on each other. Then when the opportunity presents itself move the Kel Dors into possition adjacent to their big units at the end of the round and then huck a grenade with Katarn after init the next round. there's a good chance their big piece is going to get hit with at least 40 damage.

I've also pondered dropping Blue for a BBSV and another Kel Dor for when the Kel Dors are trying to survive pre-grenade.

I also thought about dropping Blue for activations for an MTB engine, but that defeats the purpose of using Katarn, but in the end that might be a better tactic without Katarn.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Kyle "Collateral Damage" Katarn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:12 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL, BOOM 80 damage in your face! At first I was thinking "Wow, 2 Kel-Dors is a lot of points in a 150 point squad" but now I see your purpose.

In a really competitive environment, I would probably be tempted to drop one of the Kel-Dors for activations, and then use Lobot to bring in another one if you decide you want it. Then you could also do MTB and MORE activations if you'd rather that, and you would have either Kyle's Grenades for trying to kill the MTB, or the other Kel-Dor. Although, if you run the 2 Kel-Dors with the MTB, then you wouldn't even have to use Kyle's Grenades in order to do the 80 damage boom on somebody. :P

Not a bad idea overall though. Other than the Kel-Dors, Kyle will have a rough time against shooter heavy squads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:01 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LoboStele wrote:
LOL, BOOM 80 damage in your face! At first I was thinking "Wow, 2 Kel-Dors is a lot of points in a 150 point squad" but now I see your purpose.

In a really competitive environment, I would probably be tempted to drop one of the Kel-Dors for activations, and then use Lobot to bring in another one if you decide you want it. Then you could also do MTB and MORE activations if you'd rather that, and you would have either Kyle's Grenades for trying to kill the MTB, or the other Kel-Dor. Although, if you run the 2 Kel-Dors with the MTB, then you wouldn't even have to use Kyle's Grenades in order to do the 80 damage boom on somebody. :P

Not a bad idea overall though. Other than the Kel-Dors, Kyle will have a rough time against shooter heavy squads.

Yeah this was more of a "Cool but not quite competitive" idea. using an MTB kind of takes the fun out of Katarn's grenades, but that will probably be the superior option. More or less I'm trying to find something at 150 to use Katarn with. Do you (or anyone) have any better ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Interesting squad. Kyle can even detonate the bounty hunters if you really wanted to. I think it looks great.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sweet squad; I like the interactions with Kyle and the Kel Dor BH. Should be a difficult squad to play against. ~DSBoom

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!