logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: My first even Tourney.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well since this area has gone dead and no one plays anymore, ive found a place in the next county that does play Star Wars. Only its DCI 150 and ive never played anything but fun before.

I want to take a squad that works really well and hopefully will get me in the top 3. I understand how all the squads work and I dont want to take a Boba BH or B&B squad because of the cheese factor. (trying to make friends on my first visit!)

So I wanted to make a rebel squad I guess with some of the new FU minis. Does anyone have a killer squad idea?

I was looking at maybe Vader's App redemed and Luke Hoth Pilot, both because of their force push 4. And an golan battery cos theyre cool.

Any ideas would be great.

Also I dont own the following figures to add to this squad: Boba Merc, New Rancor, Maris Brood, Shaak Ti, Rebel on Taunton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:53 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Use my TFU release event squad, with some modifications.

VAR 48
Luke HPU 28
Golan 26
Yoda of Dag 36
Ugo X4 or R2 + Ugo

It should work well, place you at or near the top, and not face any "cheese" issues so that you can make friends rather than appear as a jerk your first time out.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:28 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thats great bill just what im looking for. Now you'll have to walk me thru a few things here.

Would you light tutor VAR or Luke?

Would you keep Yoda up amongst them or seperate them. If so would yoda go with luke due to his low HP?

As they cant use yodas fp's to add to theirs would you just use them for failed saves?

With yoda's renewal you can have one of them force pushing ever other turn. Is that right? And would it be something that you would do eveyother turn?

Thanks for this Bill. I normally would go on to SWShoebox and have a look at yours and a few others squads but theres no FU yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:18 pm 

I would probably let Yoda and the VAR take point. Let Luke hang back. Since you have the Golan collecting gambit, all your pushers need to do early is protect it. No need to get too close. Build fps when not pushing (but I would probably push every round that I could). Since you get gambit every round with the Golan, its on your opponent to rush you.

I would light tutor the VAR. Luke can shoot when he doesnt have the fps for push, the VAR cannot. I would try to set up stuns with Yoda when they do close in on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:32 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
It should work well, place you at or near the top, and not face any "cheese" issues so that you can make friends rather than appear as a jerk your first time out.

play this on Mustafar and its about as cheese as you can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ok great, so youre saying generally, let your opponent come to you?

Also what would you pick between 4 ugs or r2 and ugs?

Is this going to stand up against nom bombs and thrawn squads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:55 pm 

fingersandteeth wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Good point. Play it on a melee map with no pits. Rancor pit would probably be my choice I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Good point. Play it on a melee map with no pits. Rancor pit would probably be my choice I guess.

i guess there is no money involved so there might not be any need to play a squad like this on mustafar.

But at the moment, these are the squads and maps of the meta. Might be interesting to see if it really can win with the strategy. Your not really gonna be pushing any thrawn squads into any pits and boba squads will be hard to push into pits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

That's a good suggestion. I like the squad, and it should do well. Against B&B, I'm not sure, however. Even LV and stormies can kill luke and VA, redeemed, within the force bubble. All the squad has to do is advance within the bubble, and they will kill your strategy.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:04 pm 

SirStevee wrote:
That's a good suggestion. I like the squad, and it should do well. Against B&B, I'm not sure, however. Even LV and stormies can kill luke and VA, redeemed, within the force bubble. All the squad has to do is advance within the bubble, and they will kill your strategy.

You have several characters who can kill thrawn. All he has to do is kill thrawn and it kills their strategy.

Just remember, he asked for something that used those minis, wouldnt be looked at as cheesey, and would give him a chance to win. I dont know if its the best out there, its not bad. I am not going to debate whether or not it can win against all comers however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:28 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Good point. And the squad you posted meets the standard of what he was looking for. I also recomend CRUbLs ( or however it was spelled )

the squad isn't cheesey, because it has some weakness that can be exploited, but at the same time it is very powerful, provided you win that one initative.

Mara, jedi 45 pts.
Talon Kardde 24 pts.
Han in Stormie Armor 25 pts.
Lobot 27 pts.
Jaina Solo 25 pts.
ugnaught 3 pts.

So basically win intative, then mara slices and dices. It's good, and isn't extremly competative. ( also made by billiv15 )

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:55 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks Billiv for the squad and map choice.

I turned up with the squad and rancor map and took 2nd.

What I didnt know if that the guy running it was a hardcore player and won GENCON Reading this year with the squad that he used on me that day.

CRUBLS. My god is Mara tough. I only go 1 force push on her the whole game due to her stealth and han letting her run 12 then attack!

i got slaughtered with Mara. im gonna try out some crubls myslef tonight. But it seems that the Vader squad could take her out with the lightsaber throw.

Im hooked on the tourney scene now and will always go back, but i have to feeling that this guy will run the same squad again. So any anti crubls squads you can think of would be great, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:11 am 

jawa_scum wrote:

What I didnt know if that the guy running it was a hardcore player and won GENCON Reading this year with the squad that he used on me that day.

CRUBLS. My god is Mara tough. I only go 1 force push on her the whole game due to her stealth and han letting her run 12 then attack!

Glad you enjoyed it. There are a number of ways to beat Mara and Crubls.

But just so you know, this guy didnt win Gencon with Crubls. Dr. Divot won Gencon with Broken Boba. Crubls didnt finish high at all (4-3) was I think the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:34 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Are you talking about GENCON Reading in the UK? As this guy said he won it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm 

jawa_scum wrote:
Are you talking about GENCON Reading in the UK? As this guy said he won it!

UK duh should have figured that one out without you saying since you live in the UK.... No you are probably correct. I dont believe Ive ever seen any results posted from it. Minor brain fart there :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:16 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

SirStevee wrote:
Good point. And the squad you posted meets the standard of what he was looking for. I also recomend CRUbLs ( or however it was spelled )

the squad isn't cheesey, because it has some weakness that can be exploited, but at the same time it is very powerful, provided you win that one initative.
( also made by billiv15 )

So what are the main weaknesses of Crubls. I played this team last night and kicked ass. Han is the weak link but stealth is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 am 

jawa_scum wrote:
SirStevee wrote:

( also made by billiv15 )

So what are the main weaknesses of Crubls. I played this team last night and kicked ass. Han is the weak link but stealth is great!

Its initiative dependent. And now it can run an MTB and potentially overcome that major drawback at the expense of Talon (disruptive and scrub killing). So now, it struggles against swarms of non-uniques and against squads who can play keep away for enough rounds to make the MTB a detriment. For example, Exar and Thrawn swap squads. Careful placement of the swap fodder around the board will allow either to stay away and kill enough to take Crubls down. It also struggles still against San shooter squads on their maps. Crubls wins on its map.

All in all its a top tier squad - won Gencon UK (apparently :) and the French National Championship).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:25 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

And what is the crubls map?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:30 am 

I like Munnalist.