All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Is this squad good?
Total votes : 0

Post subject: 150 Point Kazdan Paratus Squad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:10 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This squad is built similar to my 100 point squad.

Jedi Weapon Master (Cost 26)
Ki-Adi Mundi (Cost 24)
R2-D2, Astromech Droid (Cost 9)
Kazdan Paratus (Cost 55)
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator (Cost 34)
=148 Points

How do you like the squad? Each person brings something interesting to squad. I KNOW the squad only has 5 activations, but reinforcements should be on the way. Kazdan Paratus has Immediate Droid Reserves 30 (If you roll exactly 5, 10, 15, or 20 for initiative, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique Droid characters from any faction to your squad, adjacent to this character, immediately before your first activation of the round). When you combine this with Recon (which Quinlan Vos has), you can roll imitative twice per round when Vos has a line of sight on an enemy. That equals a 40% chance of have some Immediate Reserves enter the field. R2-D2 serves many purposes; he is unique so he can give Vos his famous momentum if he is defeated and he has Override and Tow Cable. Ki-Adi Mundi (with Anticipation) allows you to reroll for initiative, with recon that could equal 4 initiative rolls in a round. The Jedi Weapon Master is a good character for his cost. Grant it, the squad will have to have some luck to pull it off- but with some luck this squad is really difficult to defeat.

Immediate Droid Reserves Ideas
Gonk Power Droid
BodyGuard Droid (60 Hp and Bodyguard could help keep Kazdan Paratus alive)
Super Battle Droid/Battle Droids
Destroyer Droid
A Dark Phrase Trooper
Dwarf Spider Droid
So what do you think?

http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:33 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, here's a couple of things to think about.

First of all, you are extremely unlikely to get Recon on the first round, and probably even on the 2nd round if your opponent plays smart. Yes, Vos is a good piece by himself, but if you manage to roll for Droid Reserves on the first round or two, it might be a lot better to just use some of those 30 points to bring in a Probe Droid. In fact, have you seen the Junk Golem's stats? They were leaked out last night. The Golem is 23 points, but has Rapport with Kazdan to make it 22. So a Probe and a Junk Golem is a perfect combination if Kazdan is in a good position to bring in a Huge piece.

Then on later rounds, you can bring in either the BDO or crab droids, or Dark Troopers. So, I think a better basic build would be:

Kazdan
Ki-Adi
JWM x2
R2
Gran
Ugo x2

Gets you a couple more activations. That way you can worry about bringing in heavy hitters for your droids instead of activations.

The other option to consider is Qui-Gon Jinn JM instead of Ki-Adi. Qui-Gon is a MUCH better piece all around, and easily worth the 11 point increase over Ki-Adi. And Qui-Gon's synergy with the JWMs is awesome. The trouble I'm having is figuring out what to do with the rest of the squad. You could do something like this:

Kazdan
Qui-Gon Jinn JM
Jedi Weapon Master
R2 Astromech

And that leaves you with 25 points, though I can't really figure out what to do with them. Best idea so far would be a Sev and 3 Ugos. Both of these ideas I've listed would give you 8 activations instead, which isn't to bad to start out with, and would quickly be 10-15 depending on what reinforcements you want to bring in.

The more I think about Kazdan, the more I'm thinking that squads with Kazdan will need to be run where you have one or two supporting Jedi to run point, and then you hope for good rolls and bring in a lot of power-hitting Droids. If you have Kazdan in there purely for extra activations, you're just going to get smothered, because you won't have enough in your squad otherwise for damage potential.

I'm also thinking that Kazdan may still be better suited for the Rebel faction, but I haven't really played around with everything yet. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:01 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Ki-Adi just doesn't really do it anymore. I would advise expanding it to 200 and switching Ki-Adi out for Qui-Gon, JM, then you can still have the awesome Reserves+Recon+Anticipation combo.

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:54 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I agree that the Junk Golem and Probe Droid should be the first set of Droid Reserves.

After that, I really like the Dwarf Spider Droid x2

Maybe an SBDCommander with and SBD and then load up on SBDs for any other Reserves.

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I see what you are saying with Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master.. I misread Ki-Adi Mundi Commander Effect.

Does this look Better?

Kazdan Paratus (Cost 55)
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator (Cost 34)
Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master (Cost 35)
R2-D2, Astromech Droid (Cost 9)
Naboo Soldier (Cost 5)
4 Ugnaught Demolitionist (Cost 3: 12 Total)
=150 points

I really don't want to chance a couple rounds without Recon (having a 20% chance of reserves); plus I like Quinlan Vos Stats. Qui-Gon Force Spirit can help either Quinlan Vos or Kazdan Paratus (both of which have some nice Force Powers) and Quinlan Vos (since Qui-Gon is defeat) would then have momentum. The Ugnaught Demolitionist are for activations and R2-D2 has override and Tow Cables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I like your 2nd squad a bit better than the first, you bring in the Golem or crab right away and you're in business.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Does it stand a chance? Opinons, thoughts..