Post subject: R&B (no, not the music!)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's my idea of a Legacy update to Black & Blue

Roan Fel
Thrawn
Mas
Stormtrooper x5 (or Raxus Prime Troopers)
Ugnaught x6

15 activations, 150 points.

That number of activations pretty much guarantees that Roan Fel and Thrawn will get to activate last against just about all armies except for low-cost swarms or San Hill squads. You also have PLENTY of cheap fodder in order to bodyguard damage onto, without destroying your activation advantage too badly.

Obviously, other options include dropping a ST and Ugo for a Probe Droid. Can also drop 2 Stormtroopers and 4 Ugos and add an Imperial Knight in. You lose a lot of activations, but gain another Double Attacker with some decent HP for Bodyguarding, AND Fel can now get the Synergy bonus. Even this situation still beats the number of activations a Vader JH B&B build would have, though it's one less than a LV build.

Biggest weaknesses for this build:
- Lord Vader B&B could still be frustrating, especially if you base Vader, and then lose initiative. An end of turn swap with Fel could land 90 on Vader, and then winning init, only need to hit 2 more attacks to finish him off. But one lost init, and LV could wipe out Fel unless he makes a successful block save, or Vader misses an attacks. Not terribly good odds.
- San Hill or Dodonna builds will make it really tough to get the end of round swap to happen, so Roan won't be able to get his Opportunist Triple off very often. This will rely heavily on swapping in to a place where some other piece can Bodyguard some of the damage, and hope that Fel can hit enough times to kill a Boba or similar in just the one swap. Fel's Block/Gauntlets will also be mostly useless against these squads.
- MTB builds will devastate this squad, as they capitalize on massive damage at the beginning of a round. Fel will absolutely have to depend on Bodyguards in order to survive these types of onslaughts after a Swap and Opportunist Attack.

So.....is this viable in the new meta?

Post subject: Re: R&B (no, not the music!)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Good thorough analysis and even more important A GREAT NAME!!!

nice job

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'd use Ozzel in there. This nearly guarantee's the out-activation. I had actually thought of the same thing only with 2 less uggos and 1 less Stormie for Ozzel.

Definately going to be a toughie to face.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The only problem i see with using Ozzel is that it makes it tough to keep Fel alive. You either have to swap him out right away, or let your opponent pound on him twice. He won't live long in that kind of situation unless you're able to do a really good job of Bodyguarding him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
The only problem i see with using Ozzel is that it makes it tough to keep Fel alive. You either have to swap him out right away, or let your opponent pound on him twice. He won't live long in that kind of situation unless you're able to do a really good job of Bodyguarding him.

Well if you run into San, Dodanna or Ozzel then your squad is nearly an auto loss. Especially so against Dodanna. 90 damage guaranteed is better then being outactivate and doing 60 and then letting the Emperor be royally owned.

I think that this will perform very well under the right circumstances. Good job.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Well if you run into San, Dodanna or Ozzel then your squad is nearly an auto loss. Especially so against Dodanna. 90 damage guaranteed is better then being outactivate and doing 60 and then letting the Emperor be royally owned.

True, I just always end up having a hard time when I do something like that. I swap in and do a hefty amount of damage to something, then swap out and let them kill a Stormie. So, now, they've got 5 points, and all I've got is a wounded enemy. Then what often happens, is they either play cat-and-mouse with me to basically stall and still win, or I take too many losses trying to get in again and finish off that key piece. One of the things that seems effective about B&B is the ability to Swap, Attack, then Attack, Swap. Without that 2nd round of damage, it substantially slows down the power-output of a squad like this.

I definitely see how it would work out best that way against an opposing San/Dodonna/Ozzel squad, but then how do you win against a LV or JH B&B squad where it will take you at least 2 swaps to get the kill on Vader? Besides, an opposing B&B player is going to be smart enough to never leave any pieces within 12 square range of my Stormies. And then, to top it all off, still have to worry about the possibilities of losing initiative against another B&B. That would really ruin your day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There's not much you can do against Dodonna, even if you have Ozzel, but running Ozzel in this squad against a squad without San or Ozzel is an auto-loss.

Damned if you do damned if you don't IMO.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Why would you think it'd be an Auto-loss? Against a B&B squad with Ozzel I could see that, but against any squad that doesn't have init control, I would think you'd be fine. You should be able to either Swap in attack, then swap back out next turn, or you can stick around and do another 60 damage to hopefully finish off whatever key character you're working on. If you're able to finish off that character, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal for you to sit there and wait to swap out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Why would you think it'd be an Auto-loss? Against a B&B squad with Ozzel I could see that, but against any squad that doesn't have init control, I would think you'd be fine. You should be able to either Swap in attack, then swap back out next turn, or you can stick around and do another 60 damage to hopefully finish off whatever key character you're working on. If you're able to finish off that character, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal for you to sit there and wait to swap out.

LOL I was agreeing with you, I thought. If you put Ozzel in that squad, it will typically lose against a squad that doesn't have Ozzel, San, or Dodonna, because you can't swap in and out fast enough. Better to put Tarkin in there if you want tempo control IMO, but I still think you give up too many activations to do that.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

In my experience Tarkin (or to a lesser extent, Moff Veed) is not really tempo control, they are for one-time use only. Veed will make things a tad bit better for you since he's got 50 HP, and even Boba BH can't kill him in a single round without a Crit. But anytime you stick Tarkin or Veed out there, they get a giant target on their head as an easy 11 points, and then there goes your tempo control.

Though Tarkin would be decent in a build of this type in order to get 3 activations off when you want them (Fel, Thrawn, then either Stormie attack or activate Tarkin and move him to safety). So yeah, I'd be much more inclined to play GMTarkin before Ozzel in this build.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:54 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Does the amount of Disrputive not bother anyone with these static swap squads.

Your relagated to swapping outside the Disruptive bubble running in for a strike and then chancing init.

With an increase in initiative abilities that nerfs MT i don't think swapping beats is Thrawns deal anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

fingersandteeth wrote:

Your relagated to swapping outside the Disruptive bubble running in for a strike and then chancing init.

With an increase in initiative abilities that nerfs MT i don't think swapping beats is Thrawns deal anymore.

Kyle Katarn, most specifically. Heck, he will even get 20 off on Fel when you hit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithborg wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:

Kyle Katarn, most specifically. Heck, he will even get 20 off on Fel when you hit.

and Katarn's thermal detonators laugh at Roan Fel's guantlets, too :lol:
I think he's a great counter to B&B with Han, GH... and well he sould be:
http://darth.wikia.com/wiki/God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:26 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

B&B is still best with Lord Vader. The way I countered San Hill before was to carefully choose a target, and be sure to kill it on the first swap. You can't count on winning init, or going last anymore, so you need LV's utility. There is no way around it.

Shooter swaps are also improving, I look forward to swapping Cade around.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
B&B is still best with Lord Vader. The way I countered San Hill before was to carefully choose a target, and be sure to kill it on the first swap. You can't count on winning init, or going last anymore, so you need LV's utility. There is no way around it.

Shooter swaps are also improving, I look forward to swapping Cade around.

Lord Vader is great, no doubt; except against high defense characters. Seems like every time I play him I end up facing off against a Vader JH or Dooku/Tyrannus. Then he just gets the **** beat out of him.

Played a game last night when it came down to Boba BH vs. Lord Vader, and Vader missed 6 out of 10 attacks, only needing 4 of those to finish Boba off. Vader still ended up killing Boba, but only because I made a mistake with Boba. Even if that hadn't happened, I was way too far behind in Gambit.

My wife may not be as big a fan of this game as I am, but one thing I can say is she has the "Thrawn-swap" move down perfectly. I remember when the piece came out, she took right to it, and taught me more about how to make the play correctly than anyone else I've ever played against or watched (yes, even you Bill, her skill with it surpasses yours IMO, though not by much).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:

Just want to say I wish I had been thinking in these terms before I sat down to the 200 pt. tournament in Carbondale last weekend. I could have beat the snot out of Mr. Tortise if I had. :maul: