logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 Point Squads
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

We had some discussion last week on the GOWK thread about 150 point squads, and Weeks wrote the below:

Quote:
Changing the championship to 150 only makes GOWK/Mace better. R2 tows mace into possition, mace kills 1 thing, game over. In 200 you can afford to spread your guys out and make mace attack 1 at a time. At 150 your pretty well committed to one fig being your main gun/beat with support spread around it, at 200 you can go with a few guys having that job.

The 150 meta is boring. 2007-2009 rebels are still top dogs in that format, Greg won the 150 at gencon with Lobbin Luke (the 2009 Championship squad). I really don't want to go back to that. At 200 the meta opens up to where you have a conceivable shot at winning with any faction. Heck, Sith made top 8 at gencon this year which has never happened before. Would Sith have any chance of doing that at 150? Probably not.

Keep it at 200.

I definitely agree with this - I think Rebels and Mace squads are both strong, but I was wondering if anyone else had ideas for what could work at 150 points. We have a 150 tournament coming up in a few weeks, and I was interested in other solid squad ideas outside Rebels and Mace.

Post subject: Re: 150 Point Squads
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Zannah and Jaq are a good squad base that I'd like to try. And don't underestimate the value of the new Sith Recruits, who can blow up with SD10 to allow you a free reroll. That makes Zannah even more annoying to play against, because she still has her double-bubble or fprrs after that free save reroll. It also gives Jaq a better chance to make his Avoid Defeat saves (1 fprr and 1 Recruit rr makes for a 50% chance of survival).

For OR, Satele and Jaq and Carth are good, though you'd probably have to drop Bastilla from the squad at 150. I don't play a lot of OR so maybe my opinion on this one isn't so helpful.

If you're not sure what you'll face, then I highly suggest Lobot, who gives you so many ways to counter a matchup that you might not have anticipated (Momaw for Poggle/Nom Bombs or bodyguards against Mace, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:35 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Here's a squad that I think would definitely beat Mace, but probably lose to Rebels:

--Maximum Firepower--
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
51 IG-86 Assassin Droid x3
16 Geonosian Overseer
10 San Hill
9 Battle Droid Officer
5 Salacious Crumb
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(150pts. 13 activations)

You could also build an interesting squad around Saba Sebatyne.

Saba Sebatyne
Mara Jade Jedi
Ganner
Luke Ghost
Dodonna
R7
Ugnaught

With OR maybe something like Satele Shan, Atton Rand, and Bastila. I think OR is pretty awful at 150 points, though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

For 150 I think new Grievous and HK-47 has potential. Trevor won the 150 v-set only with those two and poggle bombs. You can get San Hill + MTB in there which let's grievous setup for a big spinning blades. I used it and beat a GOWk/Mace squad at gencon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:47 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Weeks wrote:
For 150 I think new Grievous and HK-47 has potential. Trevor won the 150 v-set only with those two and poggle bombs. You can get San Hill + MTB in there which let's grievous setup for a big spinning blades. I used it and beat a GOWk/Mace squad at gencon.

Yes, and don't forget that crazy Spotter Droid with Intuition and Energy Shield and Improved Spotter 20. Those 3 pieces advance as a group until you're ready to use Spinning Blades; anyone who shoots at them has to make a save or else shoot themselves, and Grievous has a 25 Def (29 in cover) with HK's CE.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Or singularly miss all 6 attacks on spinning blades when you use it, which sort of sucks. Right Trevor :( lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

spryguy1981 wrote:
Or singularly miss all 6 attacks on spinning blades when you use it, which sort of sucks. Right Trevor :( lol

Yes, that was pretty disgusting, as well as game-changing.

Anyway, the combo of Spinning Blades and Twin and Wallclimber is pretty insane.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Thanks for the ideas! So, so far we have:

- Mace
- Lobbin' Luke 2009
- Grievous/HK-47
- IG-86 Double/Twin
- Saba Sebatyne
- Zannah/Jaq
- Satele/Jaq with or without Bastila

Any more? I have almost no Sep pieces, but Seps do seem viable as their tech scales better to 150 points than most other factions.

I like new Grievous a lot, but last time I used him, Kezzamachine's Rebel Yoda beat him up bad 1-on-1. According to my maths, ignoring Force Stun which didn't come into play, Grievous should be able to put about 75 on Yoda a round (hits roughly 3 attacks out of 4, Yoda has a 50% chance of defending one of them), and Yoda should put about 20 per round on Grievous (hits on both attacks, Grievous parries one). So it shouldn't even be a contest. Grievous also struggled with Zam Wesell - a non-Jedi with high defense is tough for him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 pm 

Would a Zam Wessel and Tarpals squad be any good? You could back her up with 60 autodamage Dr. Evazan, which seems quite strong at the lower cost level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

There are a lot of factors. I think the map list would be a bit more balanced this time around. Which eliminates some of the Snowspeeder/Yobuck/Lancer craziness.

Even then, the Rebels have such crazy potential with the new Han and Leia, that if it weren't for GOWK, the would be fairly nasty. Han, RH with Opportunist +20? Leia giving your Uniques +10 Dam? Craziness.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:59 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

greentime wrote:
Would a Zam Wessel and Tarpals squad be any good? You could back her up with 60 autodamage Dr. Evazan, which seems quite strong at the lower cost level.

We had a 100 point tournament recently - I played around with Tarpals/Zam/Evazan/Gungan Artillerist in testing and then someone else ran something similar at the tournament. I found that it's potentially really good - I lost to it at the tournament - but every time it played against Mace, R2 tows Mace up to Zam, and if he crits you've lost a big chunk of your squad. It might be workable at 150 with a bodyguard/Lobot or something though. Obviously Han based squads can beat Mace though, so maybe we're just not good enough at protecting our main pieces in New Zealand.

They were talking on SHNN on Thursday about the Mandalore the Vindicated/Mandalorian Training Sergeant/Pre Vizsla combo - I'm wondering if that would work at 150 points? Doesn't leave you a whole lot of room for other stuff, but three pieces with Parry, OK damage output, and spoiler abilities seems pretty handy.