logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Bounty Hunters: Black Sun/Mandalorian (My first squad)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm brand new to SWM. I won a starter kit last week at a rpg gameday, and was immediately hooked. But so far all I've bought are 4 Bounty Hunter boosters that were on sale ($5 ea!) at my FLGS. I'm hoping to play in a local tourn this weekend with 'em, so here's what I built:

Mandalorian Warrior 14
Nym 48
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Aqualish Assassin 7
Quarren Bounty Hunter 11

Thoughts?

Carl

Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunters: Black Sun/Mandalorian (My first squad)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:49 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks for the welcome and feedback.

I was looking for any synergy I could find in what I've got. A squad of grenade-hurling Black Suns seemed to be it!

Fool wrote:
But, without knowing what else you have, I can't really tell you what else you could do - aside form posting a list of your minis, that's all I can offer you.

Well, as long as you're asking... :)

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid 45
Princess Leia, Hoth Command 19
Rebel Captain 21
Rebel Heavy Trooper 11
Aqualish Assassin 7
Ayy Vida 19
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Corellian Pirate 10
Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop bike 10
Dark Hellion Swoop Gang Member 5
Defel Spy 14
Human Blaster-for-Hire 5
Klatooinian Hunter 11
Mustafarian Soldier 12
Nym 48
Quarren Bounty Hunter 11
Tusken Raider Sniper 8
Weequay Leader 13
Young Krayt Dragon 50
Zuckuss 22
Basilisk War Droid 51
Mandalorian Soldier 16
Mandalorian Supercommando 23
Mandalorian Warrior 14
Darth Vader 47 (starter kit)
Obi Wan Kenobi 38 (starter kit)
Elite Stormtrooper 11
Heavy Stormtrooper 12

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:16 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Fool wrote:
Not a lot to work with.

Yeah, I am anticipating a bit of baptism by fire! :lol:

I think I like the Leia & BBSV combo you suggest for starters. It'll require a lot of movement and evasion, but that suits me...

Hopefully, if I lose the first round, I'll have a chance to play a pickup game or two and try out some other variations.

Thanks again.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Is it a typical tournament? If so, you will will probably go through about 2-4 rds (depending on the size). If its just a fun, single-elimination, it may be entertaining to learn.

As for pieces, I wouldn't underestmate Ayy Vida with the Bith BSV. For a naked Twi'lek, she's quite deadly for her points. If you can borrow Ithorian Commander (They are not hard to come by) to boost her and the Aqualish. It could get a bit more damaging. Then you can pepper in a few support attackers like the Defel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:55 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Markedman247 wrote:
Is it a typical tournament? If so, you will will probably go through about 2-4 rds (depending on the size). If its just a fun, single-elimination, it may be entertaining to learn.

Yep, I think it's exactly as you describe; the shop holds them every weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, actually.

Markedman247 wrote:
As for pieces, I wouldn't underestmate Ayy Vida with the Bith BSV. For a naked Twi'lek, she's quite deadly for her points.

I discounted her because I was trying to avoid melee pieces, but on second look, you're sure right about the value!

Markedman247 wrote:
If you can borrow Ithorian Commander (They are not hard to come by) to boost her and the Aqualish...

Borrow? OK, noob protocol question: Is that legal, feasible, and/or socially acceptable?

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:13 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

CarlZog wrote:
Markedman247 wrote:
If you can borrow Ithorian Commander (They are not hard to come by) to boost her and the Aqualish...

Borrow? OK, noob protocol question: Is that legal, feasible, and/or socially acceptable?

Carl

Legal? Yes, as long as you have the actual miniature, then it can be played. The "card" can be any means of getting the accurate information. Some people who played Warhammer and other miniature games, have a tendency to have full stats on sheets of paper as quick reference.

Feasible? Depends on who has extras. If the people at the store only bring their squads and no reinforcements or only particular reinforcement, then it may be problematic. However, if someone, like the person I learned from, brought his minis for people to barrow, then it is more feasible.

Socially acceptable? I don't know but I constantly mug old ladies for mini money :) Kidding... or am i??? But if you mean "If I ask, will I be made fun of?" No more so than anyone over the age of 18 bringing Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter to a game full of 8 year olds who think Ewoks are neat.

People forget miniatures all the time and people loan their stuff all the time. Its part of being a community for SWM. I can't speak for your store, your players, your coordinators, your shop owners, etc, but I can say that so far, as long as the game is played fairly and your teams are legal (by points and by miniatures), there should be no problem.

I hope that answers your question. You can raise this in the DCI/Tournament questions section for probably more input.

MM247