logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Help me pick my first squad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:38 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I've just gotten into this, been throwing together random squads. I want something that's fluffy (i.e. mostly fits the background) but isn't going to get totally killed every time I go up against whatever Boba Fett power combo somebody else just discovered.

The things I like most about star wars are stormtroopers, wookies, and republic commandos. So I built one squad of each. Please rip 'em to shreds and let me know which one you think is best, I'm going to hit ebay and order some more singles this week.

--Mas stormtroopers, por favor--
This one's based on the idea that Mas Amedda gets the officer's +3 attack spread around the board, with the shadow troopers also getting +4 if they don't move.
14 Stormtrooper Officer
39 Shadow Stormtrooper x3
24 Heavy Stormtrooper x2
8 Mas Amedda
15 Stormtrooper x3
(100pts. 10 activations)

--Wall-to-wall Walking Carpets--
I tried to pack as many non-melee wookies into this army as I could. I could drop the scouts for kashyyyk troopers if they're better.

18 Clone Commander Gree
42 Wookiee Freedom Fighter x3
30 Wookiee Scout x3
18 Wookiee Commando x2
(100pts. 9 activations)

--Delta Squad, let's take 'em down from here--
I couldn't even come up with a good name for this squad. I just liked the game a lot. Also, I'm jumping on the ugnaught demo bandwagon.

30 Republic Commando Training Sergeant
19 Republic Commando - Boss
16 Republic Commando - Fixer
16 Republic Commando - Scorch
16 Republic Commando - Sev
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(100pts. 6 activations)

Post subject: Re: Help me pick my first squad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It really depends on what your local play scene looks like.

Typically, that Stormtrooper squad will get annihilated. The Heavy Stormtroopers pack a decent punch, but they can't move and shoot at the same time, which really hurts them. On top of that, their attack bonus, even with the Officer, just isn't that high, so they won't even hit things all that often. The Shadow Stormtroopers will have a slightly better chance, because of their Stealth ability, but if you have problems with other guys playing some form of Boba Fett all the time, then those SSTs will get picked off because of Accurate Shot. If you're really interested in doing stuff with the Imperials, then you need to get some of the more powerful commanders like Admiral Piett, Grand Admiral Thrawn, or Darth Vader Imperial Commander. All of those are great for the troopers. Also, I really like the Evo Troopers, as they are a bit beefier, and can really pack a nice punch in terms of damage.

The Wookiee squad is definitely a good one. The WFF are still one of the best non-Uniques in the game. The Wookiee Scouts are all THAT great, but the cool thing about Wookiees is their HP, so that's definitely a bonus over the Kashyyyk Troopers (though their Mobile Attack helps survivability a lot). I think this is probably the best of the three you posted.

The RC squad is one of my favorites, as the Commandos are tough to kill with the RCTS, and Scorch's Grenades 30 is awesome. You'll suffer a little from their relatively low attack value (unless you burn activations for the combine fire), and low total damage output though. Unfortunately, the RCs and RCTS work a lot better in larger point games (like 200 or higher) where you can use a couple other commanders to help boost them further.

And as for Ugnaughts....you may have heard people refer to 'door control' and that's where Ugnaughts come in. With pieces like R2-D2, T3-M4, and Lobot, the Override special ability can really ruin your day if you don't have anyone with Override or Satchel Charge on your squad to counter it. Fixer's Door Gimmick is helpful too, but it can't do anything against a door that is locked closed by Override. Also, Ugnaughts happen to be one of the cheapest pieces in the game at 3 points, which makes them extremely valuable in terms of filling out the last bits of your squad. I often times will end up running between 3 and 5 Ugos in most of my squads. The extra activations can also help you by allowing you to activate those Ugos instead of having to move your big pieces right away, and then it lets you react to what your opponent does, instead of move first, and let him react to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:44 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I bought a crapload (that;s an actual unit of measure, up there with the rod and the hogshead) of minis this month but I haven't played any games yet. I'll need all the help I can get.

Just a general question about armies...seems like clones and rebel troopers are kind of overpriced vs. stormies and droids. Am I right about this? I know there are commander effects and other buffs but the bad guys have those too. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dead Horse wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I bought a crapload (that;s an actual unit of measure, up there with the rod and the hogshead) of minis this month but I haven't played any games yet. I'll need all the help I can get.

Just a general question about armies...seems like clones and rebel troopers are kind of overpriced vs. stormies and droids. Am I right about this? I know there are commander effects and other buffs but the bad guys have those too. Am I missing something?

The designers for the game have said in the past that they intentionally made the Stormtroopers a little undercosted. As the main unit of the Empire, they wanted to give some extra incentive to play those. The Rebel and Republic factions really should be more about the individual hero characters (Luke, Han, Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc.), so those factions are designed for those to be better.

The clone troopers in particular have got the shaft for the most part, at least up until this next set coming out. The generic Battle Droids are definitely cheap, but they suffer in both Defense and Attack compared to any of the other scrub units. Some of the other Droid units seem a little cheap as well, but the biggest drawback to the Droid armies is that they have to stay close to their commanders because most of them have a Range of 6 for their Commander Effects, and no way to boost that range like Mas Amedda does for the Republic/Imperials. However, the Droids will be getting a good boost in the CW set, so those will likely rise back towards the top of the competitive pile.

Every faction has a specific design in mind, and each faction has it's strengths and weaknesses. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:44 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I like the Republic Commando team the best. However, I would ditch the boss, and go with another scorch instead, for the grenades 30. Personally, my favorite build of it is the RCTS, Captain Tarpals(lets your units use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 a turn, thats 2 grenades 30 from each char every turn.), and then you can do a few different combos of 3 Republic Commandos. Id say minimum 2 scorches, maybe make all 3 scorches. or have 2 plus a fixer for a little door control, or a sev for some long range accurate.

Very good team if you ask me... just keep your RCTS HIDDEN!!!!