logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Preparing for Legacy of the Force day
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So the rumor is the event is 100 point constructed but you can only use Legacy of the Force figures.

My first reaction was, WTF? Let's see, a set with non-unique Override, NO characters with Satchel Charge, and the cheapest Fringe figure is 8? points. (The OR has a piece cheaper than that in this set at 5 points, and the Rebel's Twilek Scout is 7.) Good luck getting that to even out to exactly 100 AND have enough activations to win. At least everyone is in the same boat.
There's no playing Republic at all, and probably not Separatists, either.

48 Elite Rebel Commando x3
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
12 Deena Shan
09 General Dodonna
07 Twilek Scout
11 points of filler

So the idea is to get a map with Gambit completely in a particular room and lock the doors down while you win. I know there are one or two that work for this, I just can't think of what they are.

Here's the other possibility I'm considering:

33 Antares Draco
66 Imperial Knight x3

It's only 4 activations, but I figured with it being LotF only, there will be a lot of Jedi running around. Those Cortosis gauntlets are sure to kick in at least once. ;)

Option 3:
76 Darth Krayt
24 Human Scout x2 (the ones with Opportunist +20)

The scouts have Double Attack at +9 for a total of 60 damage each. The downside is that there are only 3 characters in this squad. I could see downgrading Krayt to either Caedus or Talon, but I'm not sure what I would add for the remaining points.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Preparing for Legacy of the Force day
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There are so many rumors regarding this flying around right now that I don't have a clue what is actually going on.

Supposedly the two options are a Sealed/scenario event, or a Constructed event. I still haven't heard for sure whether the constructed for our area is LOTF only, or if it will be for all sets. Although, I do know that one of the nearby LGS is doing the scenario, and the other one is doing a 150 pt Constructed. So I have no clue whether a 100 point Constructed was another option or not.

For what's available in the set, I think your Rebel build is pretty decent. If you don't bring the ERCs in your squad, you definitely have to be able to play against them. Luke LOTLS will give your ERCs a headache though, since he can shoot them even when they are in cover, but they can't shoot back.

So, I'd probably be inclined to play a squad with Luke LOTLS, and ERCs. Maybe a Twi'lek in there to give Luke an Attack boost when possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
There are so many rumors regarding this flying around right now that I don't have a clue what is actually going on.

Supposedly the two options are a Sealed/scenario event, or a Constructed event. I still haven't heard for sure whether the constructed for our area is LOTF only, or if it will be for all sets. Although, I do know that one of the nearby LGS is doing the scenario, and the other one is doing a 150 pt Constructed. So I have no clue whether a 100 point Constructed was another option or not.

For what's available in the set, I think your Rebel build is pretty decent. If you don't bring the ERCs in your squad, you definitely have to be able to play against them. Luke LOTLS will give your ERCs a headache though, since he can shoot them even when they are in cover, but they can't shoot back.

So, I'd probably be inclined to play a squad with Luke LOTLS, and ERCs. Maybe a Twi'lek in there to give Luke an Attack boost when possible.

I looked at Luke but he is a scrub-killer and not much else.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

+9 attack is not too shabby in terms of shooters for the New Republic. He'll put out 40 damage a round, compared to possible 20 from the ERCs. Plus, the combination of Greater Mobile and Stealth means he's a real pain to kill.

I took 2nd at our Pre-release Proxy Sealed event with him. I only lost the event because my final opponent had an ERC and I had none, and he played gambit games with me. I was slaughtering him otherwise, and Luke was a decent part of that.

Luke may be mostly good for killing scrubs, but I think you'll see a decent number of scrubs in this set. Plus, if you throw in Luke with a Human Scout, then he has FPs you can re-roll attacks with, and be more certain about pulling off the Flanking Support shots.

I guess I just see the Triple Override squad as being exceptionally gimmicky. There are several maps that the ERCs wouldn't do you any good on (Mustafar, Starship, Coruscant, Muunilist, Rancor Pit) and I'm not convinced they'd be able to do enough damage before dying to be worth taking 3 of them.

'Course, I also know that I would just end up ticking off a lot of people all day with Override games, and that wouldn't be as much fun for anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
'Course, I also know that I would just end up ticking off a lot of people all day with Override games, and that wouldn't be as much fun for anybody.

Yeah, I probably would tick some people off if I did that, too, but I wanted to point out the flaw in the thinking here to make the release event a 100 pt. Legacy- constructed event.

Powergamers WILL emerge in certain venues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:06 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh absolutely. Might want to suggest to your Tourney Organizer at the LGS to switch up the build then. Or to restrict the build to LOTF figs, but allow Ugnaught Demos to be used in the squad as filler, that way everyone can have at least some form of protection against the Override (you let your Ugos get killed, then it's your fault :P).

I don't know 100% for certain, but it was my understanding that the 150 constructed event around here was going to be standard all-sets, and not restricted at all. I could be wrong though. Even so, at 150 points, I think I'll end up playing Imperial, New Republic or Vong if it's LOTF only. I'll take my chances with the Override. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I talked to my LGS owner yesterday about this and he still doesn't know what is going on??? I told him the DCI site shows he registered for 2 events. 1) a 100pt const tourney and 2) another sealed tourney. He said he had no idea how the constructed tourney showed up since he didn't do it(maybe wizards did it automatically???) and he is worried because he hasn't heard or not received any prize support from wizards for this event. So, basically he is going with the sealed tourney. So, I am pretty frustrated. Another sealed tourney is fine compared to the 100, but since I am only missing 5 people from the set(all whom I didn't plan on buying) I would be a alot happier if I could convince them to go at least 150 constructed, but then their would probably be less people. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:50 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

At my LGS we're doing 150 Constructed (Any Set) with maybe the scenarios after we're done...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The info is upon wizo's sw page.

the Official LOTF day format is a Constructed 150 tourny / sealed scenario play.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I just re-read the main page on wizos Fox is referring to. If you read it again closely you will notice the scenario expects you to bring a CONSTRUCTED squad to play. The 2 boosters are expected to supply ONLY the opposing force you are fighting. Really lame IMHO. So, basically all wizo options are constructed and they want you to buy 2 boosters to play the scenario...nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:13 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Place I'm going is doing 100 point DCI legal constructed all played on the new map. Its free to play and prizes will be promos and the maps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Boba52 wrote:
Yeah, I just re-read the main page on wizos Fox is referring to. If you read it again closely you will notice the scenario expects you to bring a CONSTRUCTED squad to play. The 2 boosters are expected to supply ONLY the opposing force you are fighting. Really lame IMHO. So, basically all wizo options are constructed and they want you to buy 2 boosters to play the scenario...nice.

We were discussing the scenario last night after we were done playing, and we all thought that if you have 2 people playing the scenario, and each person buys 2 boosters, you ought to be able to build a 100 point squad for you to play with, and then toss any pieces you aren't using into the pile of cards to be the 'Assaulting Forces'. As long as both players get semi-decent pulls in the boosters, it shouldn't be too hard to pull that off, I think. It does seem a bit odd though. It's obviously best designed to be played with a Constructed 200 points of 'Defenders' and then a 'constructed' deck of the 500 points for Sith/Imperial/Fringe Assaulting Forces.

I think we may try it out on Sunday after our 150 Constructed tourney, but I'm guessing it will probably be better if we try it some other time where we prepare ahead of time for it.