SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Evo Ownage
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1447
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Roque Saber [ Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Evo Ownage

Piett 20
FSO 16
Evo Trooper x4 52
Mas 8
Uggie Demo 3
=99 points, 8 activations

This squad took down Vader, IC in 3 hits. Two of the shots happened to be crits, but lets not look at that right now......... Anyway, Piett gives Recon and Oppurtunist to the Evos, who shoot for 40 dmg and +11 at activated enemies. The FSO gives them 24 defense in cover and the ug helps with doors or meatshield. It works very well even against Bane since he cant block their super powered shots. What do you think of it?

Author:  masterjudge [ Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

This squad doesn't look half bad. It could give some trouble to an inexperienced Bane or Exar player. However, against a solid accurate shooter it will go down fast. The opportunist and cover will definitely help against weaker shooters, though.
So overall, I think this squad has some serious potential. It would be better at 150 with some more door and activation control.

Author:  Engineer [ Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

So you have 4 +11 attackers for 40 each on activated figures. How do you even get to shoot at Darth Bane in 100 DCI? Bane should have 6x Ugo along to absorb one entire turn on shots. Piett gets based and then is defeated. Bane needs nothing to hit an Evo trooper he has based.

I think your two crits were very lucky and timely. Most likely it will not happen again.

Author:  Roque Saber [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a variation of this squad that uses DTs instead

Piett
Darktrooper x3
FSO
RHM

IT has 40 dmg DTs who can dm gcharacters even if they miss. With so few CE's its not hard to keep them all within 6. The RHM gives them a dmg boost whenever they attack becuase of heavy weapon. Do you think this would work better or not as well as the Evo squad? I know there is no door control, but on most maps it is not necessary becuase you just need a patch of cover.

Author:  thejumpingflea [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Roque Saber wrote:
I have a variation of this squad that uses DTs instead

Piett
Darktrooper x3
FSO
RHM

IT has 40 dmg DTs who can dm gcharacters even if they miss. With so few CE's its not hard to keep them all within 6. The RHM gives them a dmg boost whenever they attack becuase of heavy weapon. Do you think this would work better or not as well as the Evo squad? I know there is no door control, but on most maps it is not necessary becuase you just need a patch of cover.


That is even worse to try and pull off. No squad will have any issue taking out 60 HP worth of attackers. (20 HP each? That is nothing!)

A couple JWM's or any other Jedi or any mobile shooters or any stealth shooters will take you out rather easily.

Piett works best with normal Storms and Vader at 100 IMHO.

Author:  Roque Saber [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

BUt, how will they hit? Most JEdi will be dead before they get to them(think bespin) and shooters wont be able to hit them unless they get a lucky shot

Author:  SirStevee [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think relying on troopers with heavy weapon is just not a good idea. Never mind 20 hp or whatever. They cannot retreat and deal damage. That's a big disadvantage. I love darktroopers, but I think they work best with stormies, vader, and piett en masse.


The first squad is deadly. I'd watch out for mobile shooters or charcters with evade, because that halves the power output.

Author:  thejumpingflea [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Roque Saber wrote:
BUt, how will they hit? Most JEdi will be dead before they get to them(think bespin) and shooters wont be able to hit them unless they get a lucky shot


I will play you with 3x JWM anytime you'd like on VASSAL. I think that you'd be surprised how easy it is to base a DT w/o it getting a shot off.

Author:  Roque Saber [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

K, ill play you. Ill look for you when im online

Author:  Aeimnestus [ Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I really like the Evo squad! Great job!

Author:  Engineer [ Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:42 am ]
Post subject: 

thejumpingflea wrote:
Roque Saber wrote:
BUt, how will they hit? Most JEdi will be dead before they get to them(think bespin) and shooters wont be able to hit them unless they get a lucky shot


I will play you with 3x JWM anytime you'd like on VASSAL. I think that you'd be surprised how easy it is to base a DT w/o it getting a shot off.

I like the Vassal challenge.

Author:  Roque Saber [ Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Duh duh duh............... Just to let you know JumpingFlea, i've already beaten 3 squads with Jedi with this squad.

Author:  thejumpingflea [ Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Roque Saber wrote:
Duh duh duh............... Just to let you know JumpingFlea, i've already beaten 3 squads with Jedi with this squad.


Who were you playing and what were the squads?

Against 3x JWM each JWM only needs to walk up to a DT to kill it.

They have 90 HP so even if you can hit every attack and I fail every deflect (The chances of this are LOW) then you are limited to killing 1 per turn.

R2 can tow a JWM into a range of 18 to kill a DT, possibly get in a sweep. I just cannot see the DT's low attack and insanely low defense beat a 3X JWM squad.

(Don't get me wrong though, I like the build a lot, it just won't beat many meta squads enough to ever be viable in a competitive scene.)

Author:  jstrong2 [ Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  EVO ownage

well, I haven't played with it yet, but I'd like to try a variation:

Piett
Evo Trooper x4
Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Stormtrooper
Uggie

9 Activations, Evo's and stormie activate as late as possible.

Obviously not tournament worthy, but fun to try to pull off!

Author:  Roque Saber [ Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would drop ozzel and sormie and ug for a FSO

Author:  LoboStele [ Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 am ]
Post subject: 

The biggest problem with the Darktrooper build is the fact that with Heavy Weapon, you have to position yourself at the end of a round, and then hope your opponent doesn't move before you get to attack again. On top that, any smart opponent will make you go first, or if he has to go first, he will move his characters out of LOS of the Darktroopers. And since they can't move and shoot at the same time, you will rarely get a shot off.

Not to mention the fact that 3 JWMs sitting in gambit at the center of the map will spell immediate doom for the Darktroopers. You'll be forced to advance, and as soon as you get close enough, they pounce on you.

The idea with Ozzel is certainly interesting, but I think you'll find it will work better in 150/200 point builds.

Author:  masterjudge [ Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: EVO ownage

jstrong2 wrote:
well, I haven't played with it yet, but I'd like to try a variation:

Piett
Evo Trooper x4
Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Stormtrooper
Uggie

9 Activations, Evo's and stormie activate as late as possible.

Obviously not tournament worthy, but fun to try to pull off!

This looks interesting. It would be hard to pull off correctly, though.
Does Peitt's opportunist stack with deceptive?

Author:  LoboStele [ Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EVO ownage

masterjudge wrote:
Does Peitt's opportunist stack with deceptive?


Absolutely. Opportunist and Deceptive are two different Named abilities, so they definitely stack. Makes for some neat new combos.

Author:  Engineer [ Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EVO ownage

LoboStele wrote:
Opportunist and Deceptive are two different Named abilities, so they definitely stack. Makes for some neat new combos.

I think the Evo Trooper has replaced both the Elite Stormtrooper and Elite Snowtrooper just like the Raxius trooper has replaced the Stormtrooper.

I'm still not sure if swarms (even with thrawn to protect them from all those new force powers) are still playable at 100 points.

Author:  adder [ Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: EVO ownage

Engineer wrote:
I'm still not sure if swarms (even with thrawn to protect them from all those new force powers) are still playable at 100 points.


So true, Force Repulse is just too prevalent. Some might replace turn, but the two-activation damage potential of swarms make it easy to get a killer Repulse off.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/