logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Hall of Fame Nominations 2010
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

It is that time of year again. It is time for the community to nominate the Hall of Fame Class of 2010. This process will go on until at least December.

The process is simple but let me remind everyone. Each member of the community will nominate 5 people for Induction in to the Hall of Fame. The members of the Hall of Fame then vote on the nominees the community gives to them.
The top 3 nominees get a community vote to go into the Hall of Fame thus reducing the number of votes they need for induction into the Hall of Fame. Each Hall of Fame member only has 3 votes.

Remember threads are up at SWM Gamers, Bloomilk and Wizards. You may only nominate 5. You may only do this once. Any nominations with more than 5 or less than 5 will be invalidated. Any user that does this multiple times will have their nominations invalidated. So please just pay attention when making your nominations.

This is an exciting opprtunity to honor some folks that have given so much to the game we all love.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame Nominations 2010
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Reserved for results!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:44 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

WedgeIkari- Wedge Smith(Top player in Texas and one of the best in the World)
Mtmagus- Matt Peterson(Top 16 in 5xGencons,3rd in both Regionals)
Knightswhosayni- Matt Hansen(Top 8 2008,Jedi Challege Champ 08/Runner up 09, and he even has me in his WOTC avatar)
Gren- Jari Tack(3x Top 5 finishes in the French or German Championship)
Chargers- Tim Allen (He was the one that built my Janesville Wi to where it is today when we started it was 30-40 years olds now it is mainly 14-17 year old times change. He has about 20-30 poeple that have started the game because of him. He has started a great Podcast too)

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

klecser
shinja
armoredgear7
cpreksta
mapmaker (Chris West)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:15 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

MtMagus - Matt Peterson - Placing at Gencon
2005 - 2nd
2006 - 3rd
2007 - 6th
2008 - 3rd
2009 - 14th

Not much more needs to be said :)

Shinja - Aaron Shockley - Bloomilk.com and top 8 at Gencon this year

Knightswhosayni - Matt Hansen - Top 8 at Gencon 2008, Jedi Challenge winner 08, runner up 09, all around great player and guy.

WedgeIkari - Wedge Smith - Best Texas player, Texas regional winner, top 16 at Gencon 2x - always a tough opponent, Ranked 4th I think in DCI?

IKillGungans - Padraig Neuendorf - Great player, proven over the years through Vassal, the boards and so on.

Man, I really wish I had more nominations lol. Good luck to everyone!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:16 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Thereisnotry
Ruhk
Lackey
Nivuahc
MapMaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:25 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Aaron Shockley (shinja, would auto induct if i could)
Tim Ballard (creation of tilewars, Jedi Challenge champ)
Ikillgungans (shout out to the germans, replace with French winner if no autoinduction?)
Matt Hansen (consistent displays at 2 gen cons)
Chris west (the map maker)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Okay here we go...

Shinja; Bloomilk, need I say more

The Hothies; they are still spreadin the love of SWM, just a bit more quietly these days

Mapmaker; Chris has become a constant presence and a great addition to the community and his maps have gotten better (other than that darn open gambit problem)

Nivuahc; Love coming from the ATL is hard core, and his site always has some great stuff on it.

Dvader831; Ray does a lot of work behind the scenes, oh and that Aurra, she Rocks, (he'll know what I'm talking about)

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

Last edited by dalsiandon on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I would like to nominate:

Chris West (Mapmaker)

Aaron Shockley (Shinja)

Tim Ballard (Timmerb123)
Tim is not only an accomplished player, he goes the extra mile in demonstrating good sportsmanship. He is also an innovator, creating 'Tile Wars'.

Micheal Fryda (Klecser)
Micheal's desire to see our game move forward translates into well written articles to benefit players who want a deeper understanding of the game, as well as his unselfish work as a judge.

Chuck Chauvin (Nivuahc)
I'd like to nominate Chuck for all of the work he puts in on the Atlanta site as well as the Sith Holo News network.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My nominees:

Dark Jedi 21 (Jason Alvey) has helped me run the Hoth battle the last three years, and was heavily involved in the playtesting for the Teth battle. Additionally, he is responsible for the very successful Coolecticon at which we had 25 participants from six separate states, and is an all-around ambassador of the game. For those looking to competitive results as an indicator of worthiness, Alvey finished 12th place at this year's GenCon, losing only to Deri Morgan (the champ) and Frank Baker (who finished 3rd). He also went top 8 at both regionals he attended.

Klecser (Mike Fryda) A big supporter of the game, and although admittedly controversial, often has the best interest of the community at heart.

Christopher West When WotC backed down from the idea of more maps, West broke out on his own to produce a pair of what are arguably the best maps printed in some time, with a promise of at least 2 more on the way. The guy took a lot of criticism and spun it into something positive, and for that deserves to be recognized.

Lady Hothie A former VCL and stalwart supporter of the game, Lady Hothie deserves a spot in the HoF, as does

Hothie for many of the same reasons as Dajuan.

So there you have it!

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

**Delete**

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Last edited by StriderRe80 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lackey - Bryan Creehan - One of our local bastions of the game, and a great competitive player as well. Placed in the top 8 in 2008 (couldn't come to GenCon in '09). A huge promoter of the local scene, and spends a fair amount of time on the forums as well. A lot of folks may not know this, but he's put in a ton of time with Fool to develop the SWM CE (RPG-style of playing minis), and the beautiful CE 'books' that you can download were mostly crafted by this guy. On top of all that, he's a top-level Gamemaster, and highly responsible for the local RPG scene, as well as pressing the RPG on the various websites. Finally, he's a GREAT customizer, and frequently gives away customs as prizes at our release events and such.

The Madman - Bryan Moore - This is the guy responsible for getting me into the SWMs game. Actually, he's responsible for probably half of the local SWMs scene. He's a master trader on all the various forums, and never goes into it for what he can get out of it, but for how he can help you. All around nice guy, and incredible contributor to the forums as well.

Mapmaker - Chris West - This one is a no-brainer in my mind. I have SO much respect for Chris that he was able to take our, sometimes quite harsh, criticisms of his early maps, and truly churn out some beauties lately. My only disappointment is that WOTC is too short-sighted to realize the magnificence of his latest works. In some ways, Chris is as much responsible for the path that SWMs has followed over the years as Rob was, with the maps largely dictating the play styles competitively. So he's had a huge hand in shaping this game.

Shinja - Aaron Shockley - Bloomilk. Obviously. The site has grown into a great resource, and another option for people to hang out on the internet and chat about SWMs. I particually like the fact that it has tended to cater to a younger crowd than SWMGamers does, which is great, because we can then cover all the bases. ;) In addition, Aaron proved he hang with the best of them, by placing in the top 8 at GenCon this past year.

Dvader831 - Ray Becker - This is a guy who's name you might not see pop up as often as others, but the amount of behind the scenes stuff he is responsible for will stagger you. In a battle between who is the nicer guy, Ray and The Madman would really be a tight race in my book. Ray has humbly judged at GenCon rather than playing, and has done a fantastic job of it as well. I know he does a great job of rallying his local players, often being the chauffeur to bring them to other venues throughout the year. Finally, he's been an admin here at SWMGamers, and responsible for a lot of how things at our site here run. He helps keep the ship clean, and never looks for any recognition for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Dvader831 (Ray Becker) The nicest guy in SWM. Great customizer and has judged at Gencon for the past few years.

Mapmaker (Christopher West) No explanation needed.

Shinja (Aaron Shockley) Great player and creator of Bloomilk.com

Hothie for his work with the orphans project

Nivuahc (Chuck Chauvin) Great T.O. and judge and has started a great group in Atlanta. Also a part of the Sith Holonews Network.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Nevermind, only want mine in one place so I don't violate the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
The Madman - Bryan Moore - This is the guy responsible for getting me into the SWMs game. Actually, he's responsible for probably half of the local SWMs scene. He's a master trader on all the various forums, and never goes into it for what he can get out of it, but for how he can help you. All around nice guy, and incredible contributor to the forums as well.

He was also responsible for singlehandedly badgering DCI enough to get them to update the DCI Floor Rules on one occasion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Klecser (Mike Fryda)- Mike's contributions to this game since it's start has been massive and he is more than deserving of being in the Hall of Fame.

He has written many groundbreaking articles including those on gambit, a three part series on tactics published on the Atlanta gamers site, the dangers of Netdecking, and how to build your local community. These were just from this year and do not include the classics such as "Understanding Nom Bombs" and others. These were done on his own free time, at his own expense and is used by many, many members of the community.

He is also one of the few members of community who later went on to write officially for Wizards of the Coast. The series "Star Wars Miniature Strategy Showcase", that he co-created with myself, started on the message boards and then became a seven part series on the official web site. These articles sparked many interesting discussions and debates on the boards and in the community at large.

Klecser is a vocal member of the message boards that is willing to honestly debate issues and stand behind what he says. Currently he is one of two members that are Forum Guides and provides direction and help to old and new members.

Mike also works hard to create a strong local community and runs many of the tournaments in his area. Even when he is not taking the lead he is more than willing to help test out large scenarios such as the massive Battle of Hoth and other large scale community events.

This attention to fostering the game and good sportsmanship continues to the national level as well. At this years GenCon, Mike was co-head judge with Dean Miller of the SWM National Championship. He uses this impartial approach in the running of his high school's game club and brings this level of commitment to his job as well, as shown in recently being named Teacher of the Year.

These qualities and selfless hard work for improving the community are the exactly the traits someone should have to be part of the Hall of Fame.

Hothie & Lady Hothie (Doug & Dajuan) Our game has no better ambassadors than these two individuals.

Both of them truly "get" what this game is about and share that experience with as many people as possible. They work tirelessly to be sure that the true spirit of the game is understood and that spirit is having fun in the Star Wars universe.

Being Star Wars fans first and foremost, they see the game community as a segment of the larger Star Wars fan base. As members of our gaming community they see the game as being a way to connect to new people and share a hobby with old friends.

Anyone who has meet them on the numerous trips that they make across the country to play this game can tell you, they are simply the nicest people that you could ever have the good fortune to play against or talk Star Wars with.

My last two nominations need very little said about their work in the community or why they should be in the Hall of Fame.

Shinja (Aaron Shockley) I got to met Aaron at GenCon this year and he is one of the the most gracious players I have met in a long time. This generous spirit carries over into the work he has done in creating BlooMilk. It is easily one of the best fan created sites and the tools he has on it helps many players track their collections, trade and build squads.

Mapmaker (Christopher West) I also had the chance to meet and talk with Christopher at GenCon and he was very generous with his time. His work in both the products produced by WotC and by himself speak to his dedication to his craft and his desire to create maps that are not only the best visually but truly fills the needs of the players.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm 

NickName wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

He was also responsible for singlehandedly badgering DCI enough to get them to update the DCI Floor Rules on one occasion. :)

Haha, I remember that!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Shinja
Mapmaker
Dvader831
MtMagus
Lady Hothie

Last edited by empirejeff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Okay, spreadsheet updated to here. Strider, remember no votes count unless there are five nominations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

1. Chris West
2. Aaron Shockley
3. Ray Becker
4. Chuck Chauvin
5. The Hothies (technically, that's two, but I really think we should consider bringing them in under one nomination, plus I really don't want to have to pick one ;) )

I really don't see any reason to restate what others have already said about these fine individuals.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next