Post subject: KOTOR Mini-Faq
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NickName wrote:
Knights of the Old Republic Mini-FAQ

Commander Effects

Captain Tarpals
Q: Can you use the same ability twice, and are Force powers allowed if you have a way to spend Force points more than once per turn?
A: Yes to both.

Q: How exactly are the two abilities resolved? Can I use one, move, then use the other?
A: You can't split them up. You use both at the point where you replace your attacks. Declare and resolve the first ability of your choice, then immediately declare and resolve the second.

Special Abilities

Bombad Gungan
Q: Does Bombad Gungan work any time you target including Missiles or Force Lightning, for example, or only when you make a targeted attack?
A: Any time you target.

Q: What exactly does it mean when the attack or ability is "redirected". Does the other character become the target?
A: No. It becomes a non-targeted attack on the selected character, so something like Draw Fire would no longer be possible after redirecting for example.

Q: Could Bombad Gungan be used to force a character to attack a character with a special abilty that makes it an illegal target, like a Cloaked character from a non-adjacent square, or an Order 66 character attacking Emperor Palatine Sith Lord?
A: Yes.

Q: Does Bombad Gungan allow you to attack a character you can't normally attack, like a character 6 squares away with a melee attack, or a Diplomat when you can see an enemy non-Diplomat?

Q: What about a similar situation with a character you can't normally affect, say a Droid when using Thud Bug, or a character with Force Immunity when using Force Lightning?
A: You still wouldn't be allowed to affect them even if you can redirect to them if there are additional limitations outside of those related to targeting.

Q: If Bombad Gungan forces a character to attack itself, and it has an ability like Momentum or Lightsaber, would the character count as adjacent to itself?
A: A character does not count as adjacent to itself.

Q: If a Melee Attack character attacks Jar Jar from an adjacent square, does it still count as adjacent when redirected to a character 6 away?
A: No. It wouldn't count as attacking an adjacent enemy for determining cover or for abilities like Mighty Swing or Momentum for example.

Q: Would Overwhelming Force prevent Bombad Gungan from being used?

Q: Is Bombad Gungan optional?
A: No.

Cortosis Gauntlet
Q: If a character with Cortosis Gauntlet gets a bonus on a save from something like Mettle or Karmic Luck, would the bonus be included in determining if Cortosis Gauntlet triggers?
A: Yes. If you have Cortosis Gauntlet 18 and a +4 bonus to the roll for some reason, a roll of 14 or greater would trigger Cortosis Gauntlet.

Destabilize Shields
Q: Does this ability suppress Energy Shield or Molecular Shielding?

Q: What exactly does "suppress" mean in game terms? Does the character lose the ability?
A: No. The character retains the ability, but the ability may not be used.

Djem So Style
Q: Djem So Style says you have to declare an ability like Lightsaber Riposte before make the save. Does this mean I can't use Djem So Style if I decide to use Riposte?
A: No. It just means you can't wait to see whether or not you make the Djem So save before deciding to Riposte or not. You will still make the Djem So Style save later in the sequence regardless of your choice with Riposte.

Q: If I make the save for Djem So Style but don't want to attack for some reason like the character having Self-Destruct or Cortosis Guantlet can I choose not to?
A: Yes. The attack is optional, similar to an attack of opportunity.

Energy Shield
Q: On a failed save the attacker takes the damage, but what about additional effects like Paralysis, or Disintegration?
A: The original target takes them since they were still hit by the attack.

Q: If an enemy piece is next to my character with Energy Shield, does that mean my attacks could be reflected back at my characters?

A: No. Energy Shield only works when an enemy of the character with Energy Shield attacks this character or an adjacent character. An opponent could gain some extra protection in such a case in a 3 player game, but never from the characters allied with the Energy Shield character.

Eternal Hatred
Q: On a successful Eternal Hatred save, do you get Force points back too and does the character count as activated?
A: No. The only thing that changes is that hit points are restored. The character's position, activation state, Force points, and any effects on the character (like Cortosis Guantlet) remain unchanged.

Melee Reach
Q: If a Melee Reach character also has an ability like Momentum or Charging Assault can it use them all from a square 2 squares away?
A: Yes. The character moved, and is attacking an adjacent enemy.

Poisoned Blade
Q: If a character with Poisoned Blade gets a critical hit, would you double the 10 Damage from the card, or the 20 Damage from the ability?
A: Poisoned Blade changes the base Damage to 20 when adjacent, so that would be doubled to 40.

Q: Is Poisoned Blade optional? Can the character make a nonmelee attack when adjacent if there's a tactical reason to do so?
A: No, it's not optional.

Q: Can other characters combine fire with a character when Poisoned Blade is in effect?
A: No. It's not clear in the rulebook, but a character making a melee attack is not allowed to combine fire even if it doesn't have the Melee Attack special ability. This will be clarified in a future version of the rules.

Rakghoul Disease
Q: Can a new Rakghoul be used immediately?
A: Yes. When placed, it does not count as having activated during the current round.

Post subject: Re: KOTOR Mini-Faq
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Can we get this updated a bit? Destabilize Shields now works against Energy Shield and Molecular Shielding.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Gemini1179 wrote:
Can we get this updated a bit? Destabilize Shields now works against Energy Shield and Molecular Shielding.

Oooh, sweet. That's great to hear. I end up missing so many changed rulings because I so rarely visit the WOTC site anymore. That's a great change though!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated as of 10/31/08 :wink:

I am also kinda waiting for NickName to flush through the main FAQ and when that is done I will post the whole dealio over here. I know he is working on that currently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated to reflect a clarification in the ruling involving Bombad and Diplomat characters.