logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Newbie question on criticals and bonus damage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm wondering about damage, e.g. with Vadar using sith rage. It gives +10 Damage on attacks this turn. His Damage is 20, so if he gets a critical, does it do 60 or 50 damage?

Thanks,
--Winin

Post subject: Re: Newbie question on criticals and bonus damage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny enough the answer is right in the definition of Critical Hit in the Archives in the Game Terms section. This is followed by Damage and then damage.

The key to identifying damage is in the letters. If something grants damage like +10 damage because it is a lower case d that is how you know it it added later and does not change the base damage on the card. In your example the damage is a lower case d therefore Sith Rage is not included in critical so Vader crits you have +20 base then +10 for rage and finally +20 for multiplied critical hit for a total of +50 damage. Some cards, like the Vong Shaper and Genoharadan Assasin, have situations you can meet to amplify their base damage because they say +10 Damage with a capital D and can thus increase the critical hit damage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ahh, sorry. I poked around in there a bit, but didn't find the glossary of terms.

I looked some more and I'm still confused. On my cards, Sith Rage says "+10 Damage on all attacks this turn". Cunning Attack on one of my cards (the example used here under critical hit) says "This character gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round."

So it sounds like both of those should add the damage before doubling. But the critical hit example shows Cunning Attack being added after the doubling.

In the rule book that came with my starter pack, it just says "If the attack deals bonus damage (such as with the Cunning Attack special ability), then a critical hit doubles the base damage but not the bonus damage." Then it goes on to define Cunning Attack as "...+10 bonus to Damage...", which is different from what is on my card.

I'm new to collectible games, so I think I missed something. Did they change the rules after printing the cards? I guess it sounds like criticals double the Damage value printed on the card (a.k.a. base damage) and extra damage is applied after that? Or do I have to determine if a skill modifies the base damage? Is that where the D vs. d comes in (or +10 Damage vs +10 bonus to Damage)?

Thanks,
--Winin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope you have it right on. This hasn't been changed. Criticals have always double the base damage of the fig.

I was also saying funny as in criticals, Damage, and damage were all three in a row. Not funny that you didn't look there. :) That what the links are for to help you find them in the Archives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Boba52 wrote:
I was also saying funny as in criticals, Damage, and damage were all three in a row. Not funny that you didn't look there. :) That what the links are for to help you find them in the Archives.

Well, you are Boba Fett after all. I didn't want to get disintegrated or anything. ;)

Thanks guys, I think I have it now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fool wrote:
(Seems to me there MIGHT be another on in KOTOR).

GenoHaradan Assasin :boba: