SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16473
Page 1 of 1

Author:  TimmerB123 [ Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 am ]
Post subject:  Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

Adaptive Shields (Enemies without Melee Attack lose Twin Attack while attacking this character or an adjacent ally)

Advanced Destabilize Shields (Suppresses Shields abilities of enemies within 6 squares)


So what happens when you have a czerka Sheild tech within six of an enemy that is adjacent to an enemy (their ally) czerka Sheild tech, but the 2 techs are not within 6 of each other. Can you twin attack the enemy within 6?

C = your czerka sheild tech
E = enemy
S = enemy sheild tech
x = empty square

CxxxxxES

Can C attack E with twin?

Author:  urbanjedi [ Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

oops misread the question. Swine should be correct. I thought the other guy was shooting.

Author:  swinefeld [ Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

I think not. The target does not have a Shields ability, it is the (out of range) CST's ability affecting the attacker.

Author:  FlyingArrow [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

On a related note, what happens when two CSTs are within 6 of each other? Is Advanced Destabilize Shields a Shields ability? If so, it seems that they are 'simultaneously' within 6 of each other so on your turn, you turn off the opponent's Shield Technician (both Adaptive Shields and Advanced Destabilize Shields). Is that correct?

Author:  swinefeld [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

FlyingArrow wrote:
On a related note, what happens when two CSTs are within 6 of each other? Is Advanced Destabilize Shields a Shields ability? If so, it seems that they are 'simultaneously' within 6 of each other so on your turn, you turn off the opponent's Shield Technician (both Adaptive Shields and Advanced Destabilize Shields). Is that correct?


Ouch. I think it should be ruled that DS/ADS are *not* Shields abilities for their own purposes, but disruptive effects. So in the example they just cancel out each others Adaptive and any other Shields within range.

Seems like it could get messy otherwise. Confusing at least, and we don't need that.

Author:  Sithborg [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

Pretty much when you have an instance of two abilities that truly cancel each other out, the active player picks which one would have priority, or resolve first (IE, who ever is moving). This is similar to what I ruled for Force Light.

Author:  FlyingArrow [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

Force Light was what I had in mind, but looking more closely I don't know whether Advanced Destabilize Shields counts as a Shields ability.

Destabilize Shields and Shields go back to WotC, but the glossary entry for Destabilize Shields only affects the "Shields" ability by name.

I would assume that "Advanced Shields" would also be affected by Destabilize Shields and ADS, but I don't know where that ruling is.

"Adaptive Shields" is less obvious, but I would think it would also be suppressed. That should be in the glossary/errata/FAQ as necessary.

"Destabilize Shields" didn't suppress itself, so I would think that "Advanced Destabilize Shields" also would not suppress itself.

Author:  swinefeld [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

FlyingArrow wrote:
Force Light was what I had in mind, but looking more closely I don't know whether Advanced Destabilize Shields counts as a Shields ability.

Destabilize Shields and Shields go back to WotC, but the glossary entry for Destabilize Shields only affects the "Shields" ability by name.

I would assume that "Advanced Shields" would also be affected by Destabilize Shields and ADS, but I don't know where that ruling is.

"Adaptive Shields" is less obvious, but I would think it would also be suppressed. That should be in the glossary/errata/FAQ as necessary.

"Destabilize Shields" didn't suppress itself, so I would think that "Advanced Destabilize Shields" also would not suppress itself.


Probably because Bao Dur was never played, so it never came up. :P

What you described there is how I see it. It isn't an ability that has to be activated, it is an area effect. I don't see why my protected zone should get turned off because someone else moves into it, while they keep theirs. But whatever. <shrug>

Author:  FlyingArrow [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

Well that's what I get for checking the glossary but not the FAQ.

According to the FAQ, Destabilize Shields does suppress both Energy Shield and Molecular Shielding, neither of which have "Shields" in the name. So it appears that the precedent is that abilities with "Shield" in the name are suppressed. The ability is retained by the character but cannot be used.

It appears that "Adaptive Shields" and "Flak Shield" would both be suppressed. No idea about whether "Destabilize Shields" and "Advanced Destabilize Shields" suppress themselves/each other.

Author:  urbanjedi [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

Scott says they do a few posts ago and to handle it like Force Light or whatever in that the active player chooses which to apply first so would apply his so that yours wouldn't work and then when you are active it is the opposite.

Author:  FlyingArrow [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

urbanjedi wrote:
Scott says they do a few posts ago and to handle it like Force Light or whatever in that the active player chooses which to apply first so would apply his so that yours wouldn't work and then when you are active it is the opposite.


He didn't actually say the ability suppresses itself, so I didn't know if that was a ruling. He just said what happens whenever an ability suppresses itself. Since it goes back to a WotC ability, I would think it's whatever was ruled there. But as swinefeld said, it may never have been ruled since nobody played Bao Dur. But if what Sithborg said was a ruling that Destabilize Shields suppresses itself, sounds good.

Author:  swinefeld [ Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Advanced Destabilize Shields vs Adaptive Shields

The thing that bugs me is - you don't choose to apply it, just like you don't choose to apply disruptive. It requires no action, it is always on within range.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/