logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Poison + overwhelming power
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Had an issue yesterday. Had a rakgoul with Celeste and a rancor keeper. The rac was based to reven with another rac close by. I triple on reven surprisingly all hit, including 1 crit. So 30+ poison, fails save and says he's gonna reroll. I say what happens about overwhelming power wouldn't reroling be avoiding damage wich then escalated to would he even get a save in the first place when I have poison on a guy with overwhelming power. We eventually decided to play with no save, you take the damage. Which means 100 damage to reven, with my next activation I see I have an opportunity to take out reven with a rakgoul and move to base reven, atk and hit thus killing and turning reven into a rakgoul.
But we couldn't help but wonder what that ruling would be. Do you get a poison save or an opportunity to reroll if I have overwhelming power. I kind of thought you would still get a save but could have tons of arguments against that. Tim (who was running the reven) disagreed and said although it would kill reven, that he believed no save would be made and poison must be taken. So just wanted to make sure as to what was right? Thanx

Post subject: Re: Poison + overwhelming power
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Overwhelming Power specifically affects damage from the attack.

Damage from Poison, though stacked with an attack, is technically from a Special Ability.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Overwhelming Power specifically affects damage from the attack.

Damage from Poison, though stacked with an attack, is technically from a Special Ability.

Oh, interesting. I knew it would be all or none, so you get a poison save and you can reroll it.

Hate to say it Jake, but I would have won that game. All I had to do was make 1 out of 8 poison saves to live. (4 attacks, plus 2 rerolls on each of the rakghouls turns.). Then Master Tactician would have let me win init, and Revan kills both Raks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This situation is unique too. Poison is the only ability I can think of that adds damage to an attack via a save.

Other abilities add damage with no save (cunning, roger roger, deceptive, etc.) with no way to separate it from the damage, thus you take all or none.

Other abilities that add a save don't add damage (paralysis, jolt, snare rifle) so overwhelming power doesn't effect them.

Interesting