logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Force Power usage sequence
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I know that Sith Rage needs to be used immediately prior to an attack, and you need to declare you are spending a force point to move prior to moving, but are there other situations where force points specifically need to be spent to activate powers immediately prior to an event or at a certain time? (besides obvious situations like deflecting a blaster shot). Specifically, powers that can be activated only during a turn, is there a specific time that needs to happen (ie if a person can move and attack and has jedi mind trick, are they free to use that ability at any time during their turn?)

Post subject: Re: Force Power usage sequence
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I know you can only use it before or after movement not during. As for use during attacks, I'm not certain 100% so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:32 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

As long as you're not interrupting another series of action.

JMT, move 12, JMT

JMT, Move 6, JMT, Attack, JMT

JMT, Attack, JMT, Move 6, JMT

JMT, Full Attack, JMT

Note that what you can not do is:

JMT, Move 6, JMT, Move 6, JMT

JMT, Attack, JMT, Attack, JMT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:21 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

So, are there any force powers you could technically activate when "moving", or is basically just a restriction across the board that force powers can only be used when stationary (or to put it another way, you can only use a force power prior to moving, prior to attacking, or after moving)?

Also what about during AOOs? I didn't see anything in the FAQ that directly answered this (at least not that I could discern), so if a character is moving past his opponents and they take AOOs could that character use JMT then? I'm assuming not, but I wanted to be sure since assuming isn't always such a great idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedi Mind Trick cannot be be used on AOO. This is becasue it is an "on your turn" ability. The AOO is not happening on your turn it is happening on the opposing characters turn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I should have more clear there. The character with JMT is moving, thus triggering the AOOs. Granted this wouldn't happen much, but say O=Kavar and X=enemies

---------------
---XXX-------
--O---------

Say Kavar wants to move from the left to the right, triggering AOOs from all 3 enemies. Could Kavar potentially use JMT on the middle enemy, who he wants to activate, if that characters does an AOO? Kavar didn't begin his turn there, isn't directly attacking that character, nor is he ending his movement there. That would be the only time that enemy would be the legal target for the JMT. I figure that isn't legal, but I just wanted to make sure I fully understand how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:00 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

My understanding is that an attack of opportunity only allows you to make a regular attack. Any ability that says replaces attacks or instead of attacking can't be used. So you can't really use any force powers during an aoo. Is that right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:55 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

you could use sith rage or lightsaber precision, but you cannot use JMT. JMT is a zero time force power and cannot be used in the middle of your move (even if you have mobile or GMA). You can only use it before you start your move or after your movement phase is over. I believe it is in the FAQ under Force Stun but would have to go double check to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:48 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

You're correct, it's under Force stun (along with a whole host of other powers). So any force power that has "on this character's turn" is considered a zero time force power correct? And those powers can be used in between attacks (ie a character with triple attack, can attack once, use a zero time FP, and then continue to attack)? The FAQ seems to say that's possible, but in their example a character is defeated by the first attack (and I wanted to be absolutely sure that wasn't a requirement).

This is what the FAQ says: "Q: The following Force powers don't contain the phrase that they replace attacks or turns: Drain Life, Force Stun, Jedi Mind Trick, Sith Hatred, Sith Sorcery, Transfer Essence. (This applies to some abilities as well, like Targeting.) Does this mean I can use them in addition to my normal move and/or attack? Could I use them after moving but before attacking or vice versa? Could I use them between 2 attacks? (For example, attack and defeat one character, then use Transfer Essence to move to a different space and continue a triple attack on another target.)

A: Yes to all of the above."

Finally, could a zero time force power be used between twin attacks?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

No, because a Twin Attack is not it's own action, since it is inherently linked to the first attack.