logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Force Unleashed mini-FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:39 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Copied this over from NickName's thread on the WotC forums.

I will add more to it as it becomes available (and when I'm at home to get it from the WotC site, or unless somebody else posts it for me).

---------------------------------
The Force Unleashed Mini-FAQ
---------------------------------

Commander Effects

Garm Bel Iblis
Q: Can a character extend the movement allowed from Garm's commander effect by spending a Force point to move 2 additional squares or using an ability like Master Speed?
A: No.

Q: Can Mobile Attack be used when taking advantage of Garm's commander effect?
A: Yes.

Q: Can a character replace its turn with something like Charging Fire, and then take advantage of the ability to use all its attacks?
A: No. Once you've replaced your turn, you don't have multiple attacks anymore.

Q: Garm's commander effect mentions working with Force powers, but I'm not sure which ones it works with. Are there any?
A: Not currently. The ability was left open-ended for potential future Force powers that grant additional attacks.

Q: Does Garm's commander effect work with Extra Attack granted by a Gonk Power Droid?
A: Yes, so long as you remain adjacent to the Gonk.

Revan
Q: Will Revan's commander effect be used in addition to something like Intuition or Surprise Move?

Q: Can a character using Revan's commander effect to move also spend Force Points to move 2 extra squares?
A: No. This is not the character's normal move taking place in its own turn.

Ugnaught Boss
Q: Does the Uggernaut gain Self-Destruct from his commander effect?
A: Yes. The Ugnaught ability makes this character count as a character whose name contains Ugnaught.

Special Abilities

Diplomat
Q: Diplomat is in effect if friendly or enemy characters have line of sight to a non-Diplomat?
A: If there is line of sight between the attacker and a non-Diplomat on an enemy (of the attacker) squad, then Diplomat is in effect and the character may not be targeted.

Emplacement
Q: On a map with an odd number of squares, can a character with Emplacement set up in the middle row?
A: No. The character's space must be completely on the same half of the map that contains the player's setup area.

Q: Can a character with Emplacement set up across a door?
A: No. The door is closed and thus considered a wall during setup.

Q: Can a character with Emplacement set up in a scoring area and score points (when using tournament or scenario rules that allow for it)?

Frozen in Carbonite
Q: If the selected Han Solo has an odd number for the cost, is the halved cost rounded up or down?
A: Up.

Q: Is it possible to change which Han Solo is placed on the board if there's a tactical reason to select a cheaper one?
A: No. The Han Solo that is "frozen" is selected along with the rest of your squad, must be revealed to your opponent during setup, and may not be changed.

Q: If the selected Han Solo is a large character like Han Solo on Tauntaun, how can you place it in the same space as Han Solo in Carbonite?
A: Place it as near as possible.

Q: Is there any way to move this character or change its position prior to "unfreezing" it?

Q: Can Light Spirit or Light Tutor be used on either Han Solo in Carbonite, or the Han that is not on the board?

Immediate Droid Reserves
Q: What happens if a character gets Immediate Reserves, but there are not enough adjacent spaces available to place them?
A: Place them as near as possible.

Q: What happens if a character gets Immediate Reserves but moves later in the round and is defeated prior to the player's first activation?
A: The reserves are not placed and no points are scored for them.

Mimetic Combat Processor
Q: Can the character with Mimetic Combat Processor change the selected character to copy after moving or even between attacks?
A: Yes. It may select it at any time during its turn as long as it doesn't interrupt an action in progress.

Reinforcements
Q: Garm Bel Iblis's Reinforcements lists two factions. Is it limited to the faction he's currently in (because of Affinity), or can both be used?
A: Both may be used regardless of which faction the squad is.

Splash
Q: The Junk Golem has Splash and Melee Attack. Does this really mean it can potentially damage itself every time it attacks?

Tactics Broker
Q: Can Tactics Broker be turned off if a player doesn't want to remove a character from play?
A: No. A character must be removed from play each round.

Q: When a character is removed from play, and counts as defeated, what happens with abilities like Avoid Defeat, or Self Destruct?
A: The character is removed from play, so it cannot take advantage of any effect that would prevent it from being defeated, however, other effects that trigger when a character is defeated, like Self-Destruct, would still occur.

Q: How does Tactics Broker interact with Never Tell Me The Odds?
A: Tactic Broker has no effect. Characters are not removed, and the initiative roll is not modified.

Q: What happens if there are two characters with Tactic Broker in your squad?
A: Tactics Broker only takes effect once per round regardless of the number of characters in a squad with the ability.

Q: How does Tactics Broker interact with Recon or Anticipation?
A: Multiple rolls and rerolls still result in the selected final roll being considered a 1. Only in the case of a tie (that is, the player with Tactics Broker also rolling a 1) would the Tactics Broker ability be lost.

Force Powers

Force Corruption
Q: Can a character with Force Corruption use it on a character that's already corrupted just for the 20 damage, even though the enduring effect does not stack?

Force Repulse
Q: If a passenger uses Force Repulse, what happens to the transporting character or any other passengers?
A: They are not affected.

Force Push
Q: When a character is pushed, can I move it around obstacles or characters to get it further away?
A: Each square of movement must be further than the currently occupied space. You must move the enemy character if a space is available. Beyond that, you may control which space to move the character into.

Q: Can a character be pushed into a pit?
A: Yes. See the errata for pits for how to handle this situation.

Q: What happens if my character with Force Push 3 or 5 is adjacent to the target?
A: The character takes the damage and stunning effects, but does not move.

Q: If a passenger uses Force Push 3 or 5 and the transporting character is adjacent to the target, will it be pushed?

Lightsaber Throw 5
Q: Lightsaber Throw 5 says that cover is ignored when choosing a target. Does the target also lose the cover bonus to its Defense?

Q: If there are adjacent enemies, can Lightsaber Throw 5 still be used on distant enemies?
A: No. It only modifies the line of sight and cover portions of the targeting rules. You must still attack adjacent enemies if there are any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just a few things to note.

I'm really disappointed by the first question up there about Garm's CE. It doesn't seem to jive with how Force Points spent for extra movement typically works, but oh well, that's how it is. I'm glad to see the Mobile Attack works with it though. That's pretty sweet.

VERY happy to see the clarification on the Ugnaught Boss and the Uggernaut. I still don't think it was written on the card correctly then (since 'Uggernaut' is definitely NOT a name that contains 'Ughnaught'....anybody see any 'h's in there?). Still, makes it worth running the Ugo Boss in a sealed event if you happen to pull both.

The Han Carbonite one confuses me. This answer "the Han Solo that is "frozen" is selected along with the rest of your squad, must be revealed to your opponent during setup, and may not be changed" makes it sound like you have to choose a singular Han during squad construction, which isn't what most of us thought it was supposed to work. The 'may not be changed' part is what's getting me I think. Is it that you can't change which Han you are going to use once you've revealed the squad to your opponent, or you can't change the Han at all once you've constructed the squad. Basically, is Hansickle supposed to work like a piece with Reinforcements, or is it just like a normal squad building piece?

LOVE the clarification on Tactics Broker. Nom Bombs just got a HUGE....I mean ENORMOUS boost. The ability to set up a chain of Bombs and then off one of them with the Tactics broker. Wow....Grans and Advance Scouts just got crazy good.

And finally, I can't wait to see what the Errata is on Pits. My question though is will Repulse interact with Pits the same way. I'm thinking not, since the wording of the Repulse 2 ability says "pushed to a legal space". Still though, sounds like Force Push just got MUCH better, which might mean that Mustafar should see a lot less play, and there shouldn't be quite as much fuss about banning it. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:08 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

LoboStele wrote:
LOVE the clarification on Tactics Broker. Nom Bombs just got a HUGE....I mean ENORMOUS boost. The ability to set up a chain of Bombs and then off one of them with the Tactics broker. Wow....Grans and Advance Scouts just got crazy good.

Sweetness!! I can finally use all twelve of each of them that I have!

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yup....I knew there was a reason I had been collecting so many of the Scouts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

you still have to figure out a way to kill that disruptive piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

On the Uggernaut card, under the name, it says Ugnaught. So, the Boss' effect will come into play. I noticed this last night after missing it the day prior.

Maris Brood is gonna rock!
Melle, Double, Twin
Lightsaber Assualt
Force Push
Force Repulse

WOOHOO! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:16 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Who cares about Nom Bombs? Ugnaught Bombs are cheaper and can be used in any faction. Like maybe Separatists (San) or Rebels (Han + Ithorian) - I think you can get a stronger squad that way.

Rebels probably have better options for taking out Disruptive pieces - Accurate Shot, cheap Missiles 30 or Force Push 4, etc - but activation control for a bomb squad is awesome. I'm pretty sure a San Bomb squad could defeat a Nom Bomb squad.

It will also be fun to use a MTB with Mon Mothma or Anakin Skywalker Jedi Knight.

Force Repulse in a cart is going to be fun too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

soggybottomboy2469 wrote:
On the Uggernaut card, under the name, it says Ugnaught. So, the Boss' effect will come into play. I noticed this last night after missing it the day prior.

Yeah, I had seen this too, but since the Ugo Boss' CE says "characters whose name contains Ugnaught" it confused me. Just glad NickName set it striaght.

Yeah....I'll have to look at some of the other bomb options out there. Besides, if someone wants to put their disruptive piece out in the open to goof up my bombs, I'll gladly sick some AAs or Boba or something on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I see, thanks for posting this.

I love this site!

-b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:44 pm 
General
General

I can't stand this inconsistant BS. Why is it that a "trooper" is defined as someone with the word "trooper" in their name, but a "Mercenary" is someone with the Mercenary ability. Same with pilots. Why do they use the phrasing like "whose name contains ____" then claim that the UDB's CE affects somone with the word "Uggnaught" somewhere on the card? Just go back and errata all cards with the appropraite descriptors and make certain they're on all future cards. Like DDM.

i.e.
Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
(Luke Skywalker, Human, Pilot, Jedi)

Darth Vader, Unleashed
(Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, Human, Jedi)

etc
etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No problem. Happened to think just before I left for work to check the WotC forums to see if NickName had posted it yet. Sure enough he had, so I just copy/pasted it quick and emailed it to myself so I could post it here when I got to the office. :P

Now....anybody know if WotC has posted the Errata yet?? I'm really anxious to find out what is the change regarding pits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, Floor Rules/match results is DCI, completely separate from WotC. In the past, WotC has been pretty good about issuing the Errata for a new set. Heck, the set has been in print for a couple months now probably. They should know exactly what problems there are. I think the BH Errata they had up on Friday, because I know that we had the issue with trying to convince somebody at the release event that Komari Vosa was indeed a melee piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
The Han Carbonite one confuses me. This answer "the Han Solo that is "frozen" is selected along with the rest of your squad, must be revealed to your opponent during setup, and may not be changed" makes it sound like you have to choose a singular Han during squad construction, which isn't what most of us thought it was supposed to work. The 'may not be changed' part is what's getting me I think. Is it that you can't change which Han you are going to use once you've revealed the squad to your opponent, or you can't change the Han at all once you've constructed the squad. Basically, is Hansickle supposed to work like a piece with Reinforcements, or is it just like a normal squad building piece?

I still don't see why everyone thought you could alter Han's just by picking a different one when you pop him. Why would anyone think that?

When you play Hansickle, you have to declare it's point value - you can't just say that you're taking 23 points for it and then pop Han, Rogue out - that means that the Hansickle should have cost 15. You are saying that your mispriced a figure in your squad, and that means that your squad was illegal. To me it doesn't matter if it is over or under - it's still mispricing a figure and that's wrong.

If you want to design a squad to play in a 150 tourny that is only 100 points, more power to you. But you can't play that squad and, once you start playing, say "Oh, I'm 50 points under, let me add points to my squad" - that is ridiculous.

I always interpreted it as saying that you pick your Han when you design your squad, and I agree whole-heartedly that it should be that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:21 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Hansickle is just a way to get a cheap Han, but the choice of Han is set.

Hansickle is a dud piece. Good for senarios, but i'll be suprised if you can get it competitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:52 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I can't stand this inconsistant BS. Why is it that a "trooper" is defined as someone with the word "trooper" in their name, but a "Mercenary" is someone with the Mercenary ability. Same with pilots. Why do they use the phrasing like "whose name contains ____" then claim that the UDB's CE affects somone with the word "Uggnaught" somewhere on the card?

There's some internal concern about this situation as well. In this case the alternatives were leave the Uggernaught out of the list of affected characters and endure the griping and questions about the Ugnaught ability on his card, or FAQ it as listed and endure the compliants about inconsistancy. Pick your poison. I picked. Rob was okay with it (I think--but it's one that never got the final confirmation.) So blame me for now.

Quote:
Just go back and errata all cards with the appropraite descriptors and make certain they're on all future cards. Like DDM.

Seems unlikely, but never know I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'll pray for errata that fixes them... perhaps someday Nien will learn to fly again :)