SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

Can a Lancers path change mid flight?
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12328
Page 1 of 1

Author:  TimmerB123 [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Can a lancer's (or any character with flight) path change mid flight? I know you have to declare a landing spot, but can you go a different way to reach that spot if you like? In fact, do you even have to declare the path? Could you simply count it out and declare the landing spot, then go any path you wanted (within the legal number of squares) to get to that landing spot?

Author:  Echo [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

I'm like 90% sure that you can, as long as you can still reach your landing spot. The definition of Strafe does not require a path, just a legal landing area.

Author:  LESHIPPY [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

I agree with Echo. I am pretty sure they can change their path as long as they land in the same legal squares.

Author:  jedispyder [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Glossary Text for Strafe:
"Some characters with Flight also have Strafe Attack. This character can move up to double speed and attack each enemy whose space it enters instead of using the targeting rules. Roll each attack just before this character enters that enemy’s space. This character cannot attack any enemy twice in the same turn using Strafe Attack, and it cannot move directly back into a space it has just left. A character with Strafe Attack can still make a normal attack on the turn it moves, as long as it moves its speed or less. Prior to using Strafe Attack, this character must designate a legal space to end its move in. Other characters cannot enter this space while this character is using Strafe Attack. "

Only requirement is to designate where you are going to stop, not the path that gets you there. As long as you can still make it to that path, it's all good.

Now, I'm wondering what will happen if Rout comes into play. Such as you are not-so-smart and run a commander up and place it adjacent to some Mandos. You have your Lancer do Strafe and when it kills a Mando, that Mando gets a Death Shot off on the commander adjacent to it (instead of on the Lancer) and kills the commander. Now all enemy characters within 6 squares have to do Rout, which is they have to move 6 squares away from the now dead commander. At that point, the Lancer now cannot legally end in his predesignated landing spot. What does he do? Does he create a new landing spot with the amount of movement he has left?

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

The glossary text you put explains that itself in the last sentence. "Other characters cannot enter this space while this character is using Strafe Attack. "

Id assume theyd not be able to enter the landing area, even if that means there is no possible way for them to move 6 squares.

Author:  jedispyder [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying anyone moves into his "landing spot", I'm saying the Lancer now can't make it to the landing spot. As in the Lancer has moved 20 of 24 squares. His landing spot is simply 4 squares away. Yet when Rout occurs and he is moved to a new square, his designated landing spot is now 10 squares away, so with his remaining 4 squares of movement he cannot get to his predesignated landing spot.

Author:  Echo [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

But... what if someone DOES move into the landing spot? The simplest way to handle it is to just not let that be legal, but I don't know of any reason currently why it isn't.

Author:  Echo [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Disregard that, I read the glossary entry wrong (I read "...this space..." as "...this character's space...", which not only doesn't make a lot of sense but totally changes the meaning). Disturbed1 quoted the exact part that I was looking for. :oops:

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Lol. So I inadvertently answered it, nice. And yes, I did misread it. As for rout, I think your probably right. He will probably have to choose a new landing place, IF he cant use the old one (If the lancer wasnt going to use full movement, then the same square might be an option.).

Author:  swinefeld [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

New rule:

If at any time while making a Strafe attack, the distance between the Lancer and its designated landing area is greater than it's remaining movement, it is immediately defeated. :P

Seriously though, I have to think there is nothing that covers this at present.

The chance of it happening is miniscule, but I think it invalidates further strafing at the point that the Lancer can no longer reach the designated landing space, and so it should end its movement wherever Rout puts it. Kind of like Yobuck getting hit by Snare Rifle or Clamp in mid-gallop. :twisted:

lol

Author:  Sithborg [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Echo wrote:
But... what if someone DOES move into the landing spot? The simplest way to handle it is to just not let that be legal, but I don't know of any reason currently why it isn't.


I would have to look it up, but I believe a new landing spot would have to be chosen, if possible.

Rout does add up the slight chance of not having a legal landing spot, only slightly. So, as Nickname says, if it isn't possible, the universe collapses.

Author:  Weeks [ Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Ive always thought the lancer moved and landed. SO you put him in the stopping point, then you roll attacks. Doing that eliminates the wierd Rout interaction. Im probably doing it wrong though.

Author:  jedispyder [ Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Weeks wrote:
Ive always thought the lancer moved and landed. SO you put him in the stopping point, then you roll attacks. Doing that eliminates the wierd Rout interaction. Im probably doing it wrong though.

Definitely wrong. According to the Glossary: "Roll each attack just before this character enters that enemy’s space." So you can't just say, "my Lancer starts here but ends here, so let me move him here and I attack everyone in the path."

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

jedispyder wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Ive always thought the lancer moved and landed. SO you put him in the stopping point, then you roll attacks. Doing that eliminates the wierd Rout interaction. Im probably doing it wrong though.

Definitely wrong. According to the Glossary: "Roll each attack just before this character enters that enemy’s space." So you can't just say, "my Lancer starts here but ends here, so let me move him here and I attack everyone in the path."


If thats how the glossary reads, wouldnt that mean that the lancer would get to hit a Jedi Seer before the Seer could make its attack of opportunity. This says before it enters the square, the jedi Seer goes off when you enter the square.

Author:  billiv15 [ Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Disturbed1 wrote:
jedispyder wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Ive always thought the lancer moved and landed. SO you put him in the stopping point, then you roll attacks. Doing that eliminates the wierd Rout interaction. Im probably doing it wrong though.

Definitely wrong. According to the Glossary: "Roll each attack just before this character enters that enemy’s space." So you can't just say, "my Lancer starts here but ends here, so let me move him here and I attack everyone in the path."


If thats how the glossary reads, wouldnt that mean that the lancer would get to hit a Jedi Seer before the Seer could make its attack of opportunity. This says before it enters the square, the jedi Seer goes off when you enter the square.


wrong square :) Jedi Reflexes goes off when you want to enter a square adjacent to him, not his own square :)

Author:  Disturbed1 [ Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can a Lancers path change mid flight?

Doh!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/