logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Bombad Gungan versus Crack Shot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I was playing a game yesterday against a Mandalorian squad using the new Mandalorian Crusaders. I had Jar Jar Binks in my squad. Confusion ensued as does happen so often when this menace is around. :)

Does Crack Shot negate Bombad Gungan? Here are the two abilities in question:

Bombad Gungan (Whenever an enemy targets him, this character must attempt a save of 11. On a success, the attack is redirected to another character of your choice within 6 squares. If no other character is within 6 squares, the attack is negated.)

Crack Shot [Whenever this character combines fire against a target within 6 squares, damage from the attack cannot be prevented or redirected]

I realize the damage from Crack Shot can't be redirected, but Bombad Gungan happens before you even make the attack and do damage. We played it as Bombad Gungan still works against Crack Shot. The way I saw it was that the key word in Crack Shot is damage. Bombad Gungan doesn't redirect damage. It just redirects attacks from the attacker to another target within 6 squares and LOS. Energy shield from the Gungan Shield bearer redirects the damage back to the attacker. Evade negates damage not attacks. I'm no rules expert by any means, so I'd like to get confirmation if Crack Shot doesn't work on Bombad Gungan or if it does.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get around Bombad Gungan is for a mini to have Indiscriminate.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Bombad Gungan versus Crack Shot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Based on the precedence set by the interaction of Bombad Gungan and Overwhelming Force I would say Crack wins.

From the FAQ

Q: Would Overwhelming Force prevent Bombad Gungan from being used?

A: Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

As I see it, Bombad wins. Crack does not prevent the attack from being redirected, unlike Overwhelming Force. The damage still cannot be negated of course, wherever it ends up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I can tell you the intention. Whether that is the ruling is not a guarantee.

The wording of Crack Shot states that damage from the attack cannot be prevented or redirected, whereas Bombad Gungan states that the attack itself can be redirected to a different character. What this means is that damage dealt by a character with Crack Shot cannot be applied to a different character through things like Bodyguard, nor can it be prevented with things like Soresu Style Mastery or Lightsaber Deflect. But the target of the attack can be changed with things like Bombad Gungan or Draw Fire.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

swinefeld wrote:
As I see it, Bombad wins. Crack does not prevent the attack from being redirected, unlike Overwhelming Force. The damage still cannot be negated of course, wherever it ends up.

A slight difference. Crack Shot says "damage", whereas Overwhelming Force says "attacks". Bombad can redirect the attack.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yep.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg