logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

and remember that this is a rule of TILE WARS that has rarely come up, but might more often now:

If for some reason 2 tiles cannot fit together with at least 2 squares of access, a new tile must be used by both players, chosen randomly by the judge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 pm 
General
General

Simple is best, to be sure! :)

Incidentally, the new tile sets ("Alien Starship Tiles" and a reprint/expansion of my first tile set, newly dubbed "Railway Station Tiles") will be available on my website within the next couple of weeks. I look forward to seeing if you folks find some new playable options in those sets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
Simple is best, to be sure! :)

Incidentally, the new tile sets ("Alien Starship Tiles" and a reprint/expansion of my first tile set, newly dubbed "Railway Station Tiles") will be available on my website within the next couple of weeks. I look forward to seeing if you folks find some new playable options in those sets.

Are they not already up there? I've already made a few of them officially legal!

(Click name to download)

Mining Track
Biogell Chamber
Command Pod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

From the TILE WARS hall of Fame thread - moved here for discussion

thereisnotry wrote:
Hey, something just occurred to me as I was thinking of the low-activation disruptive squads (Kyle, Nym, Mara). You know what could be fun? Allowing the use of Epic characters in Tile Wars. :shock:

The activations would obviously be really low for a lot of the squads, but I'm not sure it would matter too much, since some regular low-activation squads have worked in this format already.

I'd like to play the epic versions of Darth Bane or Mara Jade or TPM or Mace Windu or Darth Maul in this format. There are some cool new Epic pieces on the way that would be lots of fun in TW too.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the tangent...now back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

it could be fun to add them in, but i am not sure howmuch it would change it. Tile wars already allows you to play pieces and squads that are not normally competitive. I think if you add in the Epics it might make some of those squads disappear. Granted you will have less activations but you will have to either have high damage characters to take an epic down, or alot of activating abilities (sith sorcery, jolt, and the like). Now that being said i am not against playtesting of it. IF it gets playtested and seems to be balanced than i am fine with it. I would think however there would have to be an errata for mara like with diplomat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I agree totally: this would need some extensive playtesting. Some squads would have a very hard time taking down an epic, while other squads would probably have an easier time than against other squads. The question is whether things would be balanced or not. Regardless, adding epics to the pool of characters would certainly bring a significant change.

For clarification, I'm not necessarily suggesting that epics should be added to TW play across the board. If things are well-balanced that way, then I think it would be a good thing. But I don't think any of us would want to shoe-horn the TW meta. I'm thinking of the epics more as an optional variant rather than the new standard. If epics take a more regular role than that, then that's cool too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
I'm thinking of the epics more as an optional variant rather than the new standard.

+1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

ok, well that makes alot of snese. If it werent the Standard than it isnt an issue to me. If it becomes the standard after playtesting is done that is fine too, i would just like to see peoples fidning on the mattter. I intend to try it out and test it also, but it will have to wait for another day for me. Too manty projects going on at once. ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I actually really love the idea of Epics in Tile Wars, but also agree that it would need to be tested heavily and should probably exist as a separate format. We have Dynamic Duos and Epic Duos, why not have Tile Wars and Epic Tile Wars? Heck, maybe Epic Tile Wars could even be a 300 point squad and require the use of an Epic piece.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
Heck, maybe Epic Tile Wars could even be a 300 point squad and require the use of an Epic piece.

That's a pretty good idea. Most of the epics are 130-150-ish, which leaves very little room for the rest of the squad. Raising the cap to 300 (or even just 250) for that format would go a long way to encourage creative squad builds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:54 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thereisnotry wrote:
Echo wrote:
Heck, maybe Epic Tile Wars could even be a 300 point squad and require the use of an Epic piece.

That's a pretty good idea. Most of the epics are 130-150-ish, which leaves very little room for the rest of the squad. Raising the cap to 300 (or even just 250) for that format would go a long way to encourage creative squad builds.

hmmm... sounds plausible to me. It could lead to some fun squads, and if everyone has an epic it wouldnt be too overpowering.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:16 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Here are some starter 200pt builds (epic piece listed in bold) that I came up with quickly today:

Lord Hoth
Mira
Ponda Baba, GC (or Ug x2, Mouse x3)
A BG for Hoth so that he keeps Niman Mastery as long as possible. Mira doing a FA with splash in TW...that's gonna get messy. She triggers Impulsive JH when she dies.

Darth Bane
Darth Zannah
Figrin D'an (or Ug x2, Gran)
Bane and Zannah will live a long time, and if you have Figrin, he can Draw Fire and Distract for a round.

TPM
General Weir
Storm Commando
11pts of filler
...imho, this one wouldn't be quite so powerful, since TPM will fall quickly to most strong TW squads. Another option would be to work in a Keldor-bomb or 2 with an entirely different build, since TPM's CE allows them to run 12 and then die/explode.

Darth Maul
Durge, JH
Human BG
Ug x2
With Durge Tripling and Maul Mobile-Quading, that's a lot of damage output. BG to keep Maul standing. Vong could be trouble, and death-shots will be painful if they have a high enough attack to overcome the Intimidation factor. Direct Damage will be a strong counter.

Mace Windu
Ferus Olin
Foul Moudama
10pts of filler (Ug x2, Gran)
Mace is a wrecking ball in TW, and with Ferus, he can have 100+ extra hp. Foul is there to lift Mace over a wall of scrubs to get to the important pieces.

Yoda
Aurra Sing (CS)
R2 Astromech
Ug x2
Mouse
R2 tows Yoda for either a first-round Throw 5 (likely with ASM), or else he tows Yoda after Yoda has activated his Shield (replaces turn). Aurra has GMA/Double/Accurate, to snipe at important targets. Yoda will take a long time to go down, and if he gets a good Throw 5 to start the game, it will be difficult for the opponent to catch up.

Luke Skywalker
Obiwan Kenobi (RS!!)
Salacious Crumb
Ugnaught
Salacious is there to be annoying and to trigger Luke's Impulsive Reprisal early. Obiwan is useful in TW with sweep, and his Force Spirit will help Luke. However, I'm thinking that Luke is simply too fragile for this format of TW. Another option would be to bring Ferus Olin and a Bothan Noble (Leia costs 1 too much). Ferus would have excellent damage output, and he would trigger Luke's Impulsive Reprisal when he died.

Darth Vader
Arica
Nightsister Sithwitch
I honestly don't know how to build around Vader for TW. His greatest asset is Overwhelming Force and LS Sweep or Dark Assault, but even that is (IMHO) sub-par for an epic fig. Vader's gonna get eaten alive by Vong, and also by many normal squads.

Tarentatek
Celeste Morne
Ugnaught
Mr.T is already a monster (lol) in TW with MR3 and 4 attacks, but Celeste just makes him stronger. This could be a really fun squad to play! Maybe not so much fun to play against, especially if you have a lot of pieces. However, deathshot squads will eat it alive because of Mr.T's low Defense.

Mara Jade
Jaden Korr
R2P0,GHs
Luke FS
Ug x3
Jaden is excellent for TW; one good FP5 can win the match (though he'll have to wait until Round 3). Luke FS will haunt Jaden, but he's really there for his Synergy bonus to Mara. The droids are a useful disruptive (and BG for Jaden/Mara) piece. I'd be interested to see how Spy works in TW.... :) Another option is to use Jaden and Ganner so that you can position Jaden more advantageously. I just tend to think that Disruptive is more valuable. Another option is to just run Luke JM, who is much better with her; however, I think there are better options.

Mandalore the First
Pre Viszla
DW Saboteur x2
DW Mercenary
With MandaFirst's high Def and armor, he could last a while, so he might do alright. He gives decent survivability to Pre, who already has Parry. The Saboteurs both have Trips, which means that Pre and Manda will only need 2s to hit, most of the time. The first piece to attack with is the DW Merc, who will just get shot to death to start off unless you can use him to base a couple pieces and explode for 20 with Pre's CE. The Saboteurs can survive longer with Cloaked, and you can explode them when the time is right.

Czulkang Lah
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
IMHO, this is probably the only option that cannot be improved upon over its Epic Duo squad. You could use some JHs instead, but I think that WM is just better because of his increased damage from Daddy, his Momentum given to Daddy, and his ability to cleave. It will take a lot to burn either one of these guys down, so it's definitely going to be tough to beat.

So my question is, how would squads like this fare vs the most powerful/popular regular 200pt TW squads? Death Shots would be serious trouble for some, assuming they can hit...and that means that most of those squads will start to include Traps, if they haven't already. What are the other top TW squads?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

It's going to have to be two formats. If you allow Epics...everyone (or near everyone) will bring an Epic...thus making it Epic Tile Wars anyway.

None of the Squads above hold water to "The Ganner"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
None of the Squads above hold water to "The Ganner"

So this is a TW squad you speak of? If not, I hope we'll be seeing him come August. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So - I made a boo-boo, and I am correcting that. I made a few tiles legal a bit too hastily, and they should not be. They are all fine and dandy when facing one direction, but (forehead slap), they can be spun around to be turned into bunkers of doom.

Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles:

Speeder Truck
Armored Truck

*Sorry - upon further inspection these tiles are no longer legal (4/24/12)

FREE DOWNLOADABLE tiles from Maps of Mastery:
(http://mapsofmastery.com/downloads.html)
<Click on the name to download the tile!>

Biogell Chamber
*Sorry - upon further inspection this tile is no longer legal (4/24/12)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Also - Congratulations to Ben Johnson of Missouri who on Friday night became the first ever official :emperor: (I will MAKE it legal!) TILE WARS Regional champion!!!

He beat me in the finals with his HK Assassin, Destroyer Mark II, Durge JH, Sora Bulq, Whorm Loathsom squad of nastiness.

Shut my Republic deathshot squad right down until I was decimated.

Nice squad build and perfectly played.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
Also - Congratulations to Ben Johnson of Missouri who on Friday night became the first ever official :emperor: (I will MAKE it legal!) TILE WARS Regional champion!!!

He beat me in the finals with his HK Assassin, Destroyer Mark II, Durge JH, Sora Bulq, Whorm Loathsom squad of nastiness.

Shut my Republic deathshot squad right down until I was decimated.

Nice squad build and perfectly played.

I really like that squad. :) I've found that disruptive is SO important in TW, and HK-A is probably the most cost-effective Disruptive piece available (other than Juno, and Rebels are weak in TW). Being able to boost HK-A with Whorm is just perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Whorms ce is for followers. HK -A is not a follower therefore doesnt gain twin from Mr Loathsome

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

From the GenCon 2012 catalogue:

Game ID: NMN1230206
Gaming Group
/ Company: SWM Gamers
Title: Star Wars Miniatures 200 Point Tile Wars
Short Description: 200 Point tournament using figures from all expansions. Players will bring one tournament tile along with their squad. Players place the tiles together and let the battle begin. Four rounds of Swiss.
Long Description: Tile Wars returns once again! This will be a 200 Point tournament using figures from all legal expansions. Instead of bringing a map, players will need to bring one tournament tile along with their squad. Then, the players will place the tiles together and let the battle begin on the small battlefield. Tournament will be four rounds of Swiss, with prizes awarded to players with zero or one loss. This will be the final part of this year's Sith Trials three tournament event, and the results will be added to the other two tournaments to determine this year's Sith Trials Champion.
Event Type: NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System: Star Wars Miniatures
Rules Edition: 2012 SWMPGA Floor
Minimum
Number of Players: 4
Maximum
Number of Players: 24
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (You've never played before)
Materials Provided: No, materials are not provided for this game. You must bring your own.
Start Date & Time: Saturday at 5:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
GM(s): Ray Becker
Web Address
for more information: swmgamers.com
Email Address
for more information: dvader831@gmail.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost: $14.00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

5:00pm on Saturday at GenCon!

TILE WARS World Championship!

This will also be the last leg of the Sith Trials, and will determine who the overall winner will be!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next