logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Gurneywars wrote:
The 1st reason I brought up the door tile issue was that not only did I bring a door tile but so did each of my opponents. So I feel that the door tiles are limiting the number of tiles being seen on their own.

The 2nd reason. What I was finding during most of the games was at least one round was used to see who could out activate who before opening of the last door door between opponents.(making the games go longer then they should) I also was finding was whoever opened the last remaining door first before end of round was the player who took the lost.(meaning if you didn't play the out activation game then open the door so you weren't taking 2 activations of killing versus one activation from start. If you opened the door any time before you were taking 2 activations of being shot up by the major guns from your opponent.)

Is it a major problem? No, I can live with the doors. I just saw a pattern at least in my games and thought maybe it should be discussed.

Is it worth considering? I believe so

There is also a third reason. This has to do more because of broken edifice then cell block.
Huge pieces. I would like to see more huge pieces in play. :D

Yes Tim I ran Lobot CLO for reserves and recon, but also ironically I had overrided a door open. :D

These are all very good points.

#1 - totally valid. I want tile variety as well as squad variety.

#2 - Also valid. First to open the last door does take 2 rounds of shots, vs only delivering 1 max. But diluting your squad isn't always beneficial. Deri won this thing with a 5 man squad. Not trying to invalidate your reasoning - I am just showing both sides. It is indeed worth discussing, which is why I brought it here.

#3 - I would like to have more huges too, but I don't think the format would allow for it. Huge friendly tiles basically mean wide open tiles, and that takes away much of the strategy. Broken Ediface is a problem because of the pillars, not the door. I have noted how it's a very strong tile in the past, and it is worth discussing.

I figured you would have overridden a door (why wouldn't you if you have override?) - but I was assuming that you ran CLObot MORE for recon and reserves. He's not a bad 15 point little piece for tile wars! Would you have run him if doors were outlawed? Maybe, maybe not. My only point was that override by itsself is not very useful in this format. You might as well have door gimmick (Atton Rand anyone?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:35 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I like Doors in TileWars because it increases the strategic options available.

I think Doors should be used sparringly but instances like the detention block, the new train tiles and the broken edifice are fine IMO.

As for Huges, well i'm not sure they are really conducive to an enviroment where you only have 35 squares to set up on. Even large figures are at a disadvantage where they take up 11% of your starting area, huges take up almost a quater of that. Not to mention it doesn't take much for either large or huge figs to get hampered by squeezing issues. there are probably formats of SWM that bring out the best in huges but the format with the least amount of space is probably not it, regardless of the entertainment value of seeing someone stick an ATST on a tile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Deri and I played a couple of games on the new tiles last night. We tested out 3 of the different train cars as well as the tile with the vertical door.

Here's (in general) what I found.

We went with the 45 minute rule. Game 1 finished in about 25 minutes. Game 2 took more like 35-38. So game 2 would have been a problem with a 30 minute rule. As much as I would love a 30 minute rule, it might be a little slim. I want the integrity of a kill 'em all format to remain in-tact. I want you to have to (AND fully be ABLE TO) kill an entire squad in the allotted time, while still being able to play strategic and smart, but not just hastily throwing figs at one another.

extra doors on the tiles do seem to add a little extra time. But that being said - I don't think it's a problem. You can still finish the game in time.

Guns do seem to get a little stronger with doors. Beatsticks might need an extra round to get to you, thus more damage potential for the guns.

All this being said - I don't think the tiles are necessarily abusable. There are good things and bad things about all of them. I am leaning more strongly in favor of making all 5 tiles that are "under consideration" legal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
General
General

That's good news, IMO!

I've got another big batch of tiles in the works, and would like to make them suitable for Tile Wars as well. However, they share a common element that might pose a problem if doors are found to be abusable. Specifically, almost all of them have 2-square-wide doors on the short sides. (I made sure they all have at least a 2-square-wide door for Tile Wars utility; some have 3-square-wide doors instead, and a few have no walls at all on those edges.)

You see, its a set of starship-themed cards where each tile is a different interior compartment on a capital ship or freighter. The product goal is to allow players to use the tiles to build a huge variety of different deck plans for big spacefaring vessels. (Anything larger than a starfighter, basically.) So...most of these compartments need doors on each side so that they aren't exposed to vacuum if someone puts it on the outside edge of their vehicle.

The question here is: will terrain cards whose short ends feature 2-square-wide doors be functional in Tile Wars, or is that a deal-breaker for you guys based on your playtesting? Let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That's easily solved by deeming that doors on the connecting edges of tiles are considered to be opened. I think having more tiles is nothing but a good thing and the tiles you describe sound pretty danged awesome, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The only trick with doors on the short edges would be in how they match up to tiles like Broken Edifice. There are several WOTC tiles with 3 pillars (in the 1, 3, 5 squares) across the short edges. These won't line up with a 2 square wide door. 3 square wide doors should work though, if it's in squares 2, 3, 4.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:18 am 
General
General

In my new tiles with 3-square-wide doors, the doors are indeed in the middle of the short end of the card (squares 2-3-4 to use your notation). The 2-square-wide doors are always in either the 2-3 position, or the 3-4 position. Never right on the corners.

Now, the long side of the tiles almost always feature single-square doors in the second and sixth square, or a 3-square-wide door in the 3-4-5 position.

I made this fairly uniform so that the doors almost always line up when they need to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Since we don't have any tiles like this - it hasn't come up.

Chuck's idea is interesting (doors on the edge count as open) - but I try to avoid "new" rules whenever possible.

Hmmm - closed doors act as walls, but anyone (on either side) could start a figure next to the door and then it starts open.

that aside - Aaron brings up a good point - that lining up these tiles with other tiles could make a non-match. I guess we do have rules in place already to deal with that. That might make it interesting actually - someone brings broken ediface, and someone brings one of these new tiles - they can't match up so neither gets their tile. Judge brings over 2 new tiles for them. (And if I were judging, I would choose a WIDE OPEN tile with no doors. Have fun fellas!)

Chris - do the new tiles have one side with a three square wide door, and one with a two square wide door on the same tile?

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm 
General
General

TimmerB123 wrote:
Chris - do the new tiles have one side with a three square wide door, and one with a two square wide door on the same tile?

There are a lot of different door combos, but I don't think any like that. Most of them that have a 2-square door on one short side also have a 2-square door on the other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

There are a lot of different door combos, but I don't think any like that. Most of them that have a 2-square door on one short side also have a 2-square door on the other.

Oh, OK. The reason I asked is because you can always turn the Tile 180 degrees if it doesn't match up. But if it's the same on both sides that won't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NEW Tiles from Chrostpher West (aka Mapmaker)!

Check them out here: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/tutorials.html

They are FREE to download, so anyone who has a printer and internet access can have them. They are meant to go with the Desert Sanctum map (convieniently available to order also on his site.) The tiles can be added to the maps to vary certain elements, or used separately for TILE WARS! I recommend getting the map and downloading the Tiles!

So - about the tiles: What do you think?

First off they look great. As far as being used for TILE WARS, I personally don't think they're abusable. I think the campsite could have specific strategic value in TILE WARS.

As always - I want to hear what other TILE WARS players think about these tiles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I think they look usable. Campsite will probably be a favorite because 3/5 squares are blocked off leading to get use of GMA pieces like Dash/Rex/Cad. It also swings both ways where your opponent can hide behind the walls in the corner and swing around.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sure, both look great for Tile Wars. The Campsite is definitely a good one, but people are going to end up not getting to use it in the direction they want a lot of times, as a few of the more popular tiles have the 3 pillars across one edge. Thus, lining up the 3/5 side of campsite with one of those 3 pillar tiles will leave only 1 square of access, thus forcing the players to rotate their tiles. So, I think it'll definitely be cool, but not easily abused, as you said.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just a heads up - it looks like there will be at TILE WARS tournament at GenCon again this year! More details to follow, once it's all official, but I will say these few things:

#1 We will NOT have the dreaded Friday late-night spot.
#2 We will NOT have hour long rounds (Strict 45 min max!)

Hope to see you all there.

200 pt teams and look for a legal tile list soon, but watch for Christopher West's newer tiles likely to be included!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TILE WARS tournament April 11th.

Link here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8708

We will be using all of Christopher West's "under consideration" Tiles (ie his train car ones and the 2 new download-able ones) for this tournament. The results will help shape what will be legal at GenCon.

If anyone else has playtest results - please share. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:45 am 
General
General

A little update for you folks:

When Sarah left WotC, the push to get the Rebel Storm tiles available at WotC's site for download died an early death. Recognizing that we're running out of time to make that happen (as WotC's license to do so will soon be expiring), I've contacted Peter Lee about getting those files available. He seems interested, and is talking to Greg Yahn about it.

Keep those fingers crossed. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
A little update for you folks:

When Sarah left WotC, the push to get the Rebel Storm tiles available at WotC's site for download died an early death. Recognizing that we're running out of time to make that happen (as WotC's license to do so will soon be expiring), I've contacted Peter Lee about getting those files available. He seems interested, and is talking to Greg Yahn about it.

Keep those fingers crossed. :)

Great news! Thanks for the update (Fingers crossed!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Had a great tournament this weekend

Link here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8935

I wanted to continue these points here:

So - since last year - 4 pieces have completely changed TILE WARS (IMHO)

Ganner Rhysode (So good - makes GMLS playable, and very frightening. Not bad even without levitation - but that raises NR to insaine!)

Captain Mar Tuuk (See intuition trick below). Plus - can legitimately hit someone for 20

General Whorm Loathsom (Makes Durge JH an INSAINE BEAST in TILE WARS. A CE that can pump the power and keep the distance to compete even with Disruptive in play. Kyle Katarn BM goes down QUICK against Durge.

Zuckuss Bounty Hunter (One of the few counters to Ganner's levitation. Can Compeltely shut down even GMLS).

Also - every game was under 30 minutes. Strongly makes me want to do 30 min and under for GenCon.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm 

30-40 minutes are usually more than enough time to finish a Tile Wars game.

I actually hadn't thought of how great Maar Turk works in Tile Wars. Zuckuss plus Boba Merc plus Whorm plus Turk would be very awesome. Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedispyder wrote:
30-40 minutes are usually more than enough time to finish a Tile Wars game.

I actually hadn't thought of how great Maar Turk works in Tile Wars. Zuckuss plus Boba Merc plus Whorm plus Turk would be very awesome. Hmm...

Yeah - then round it out with a Druge cannon. It's nuts!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next