logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
Here's the letter that I sent to Sarah:

Quote:
Sarah,

--8<----8<---- snip some personal stuff from the beginning

There's a very popular play format, created by some players, called Tile Wars that you've no doubt seen mentioned on the forums. There is even talk about possibly including this format in a future set of DCI floor rules.

The largest draw-back for new play groups adopting this format is the availability of those Map Tiles which Wizards released in the Rebel Storm and Clone Strike starter sets. There were also some tiles that were released as part of the now defunct league kits that are almost impossible to get, along with a couple from the CS and RotS Missions books.

I've managed to locate a local person who has the map tiles from those starter sets and I would like to make a small request of Wizards that I believe would allow play groups everywhere the chance to try out this format for themselves.

I would like to make high quality scans the tiles that I have available to me and produce PDF's of them that I can make available for download by the community. I don't want to charge money for them, I won't be taking money away from WotC (these are out of print and only available on the secondary market at extraordinarily high prices, and only as part of the original starter sets, not individually), and would be willing to put up a disclaimer of your choosing stating that they are for personal use only and any other such legalese you feel appropriate.

I have several places available to host the PDF's myself so it would require absolutely no effort on the part of WotC to take care of this. I would, of course, be happy to send you the PDF's to be hosted on Wizard's site if you so desired.

So what do you think? Is this something that I could do without fear of getting a visit from a Wizards of the Coast legal team? :)

- Chuck

Looks good to me! I hope that it gets responded to. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Possible exciting news for TILE WARS fans.

Hope he posts it here too - but here's a link on the Wizards boards where Mapmaker is checking for interest in new tiles.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.ph ... st19161518

Let's go tell him we'd love more!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm 
General
General

I was just logging on here to cross-post, but you beat me to it. :)

Long story short: I will probably have eight new terrain tiles available for sale from my art show table at Gen Con. Like the posters, I'll be willing to sell them online after the show if I have any left, and may reprint them if there's enough demand.

Likewise, I may make more new sets available if there's enough interest.

Price is to be determined, but probably $1 per tile, or the set of eight for a discount (maybe $6 if you buy all eight at once).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just a small update:

I spoke to Chris at GenCon and I just spoke to Sarah about the tile availability situation. She said that she needs to speak to their legal team to see if there is anything from stopping them from hosting the tiles themselves, provided by Chris West in PDF format, but it sounds like something she might be able to get done.

Regarding me scanning them in and hosting them myself, she told me (as I expected) that she wouldn't be able to approve something like that due to license and copyright issues but if Chris was, as the original artist, willing to provide them with PDF's of the original tiles (preferably at no additional cost) that she just might be able to have them hosted, officially, on the Wizards site.

So here's the thing: If Chris is willing and Sarah is able to make it happen, the availability of these tiles may no longer be a problem. If Chris is only willing to provide the PDF's at some rate other than gratis, I would be willing to pitch in to cover that cost.

- Chuck

EDIT: And she just replied via email (and cc'd Chris) to make it "official".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
Just a small update:

I spoke to Chris at GenCon and I just spoke to Sarah about the tile availability situation. She said that she needs to speak to their legal team to see if there is anything from stopping them from hosting the tiles themselves, provided by Chris West in PDF format, but it sounds like something she might be able to get done.

Regarding me scanning them in and hosting them myself, she told me (as I expected) that she wouldn't be able to approve something like that due to license and copyright issues but if Chris was, as the original artist, willing to provide them with PDF's of the original tiles (preferably at no additional cost) that she just might be able to have them hosted, officially, on the Wizards site.

So here's the thing: If Chris is willing and Sarah is able to make it happen, the availability of these tiles may no longer be a problem. If Chris is only willing to provide the PDF's at some rate other than gratis, I would be willing to pitch in to cover that cost.

- Chuck

EDIT: And she just replied via email (and cc'd Chris) to make it "official".

Awesome news Chuck! I really appreciate you working so hard to try and make this happen!

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I was very pleased by the turn-out for TILE WARS. I am now fully aware of what a rabid and loyal following this format has gained!

First and foremost - Congratulations to both Deri Morgan and Phillip Carlisle for going undefeated with 4-0 records in the tournament. Deri edged out Phillip in the stregnth of schedule tie-breaker to win it all, but they are both tops in my book. Phillip also won the first ever GenCon TILE WARS tournament last years when it was 100pts. Of course everyone knows by now that Deri won this year's championship, and Phillip made it to the top 8, even knocking off 3 time finalist Aaron B (Lobosteele) in the semi-finals. So it looks like the best players are also dominant in TILE WARS. Phillip was running Grievous DAC with some IG droids and a Lancer. Deri ran double disruptive with Kyle Katarn BM, Han GH, Mara Jade Jedi, General Wedge Antilles, and an Ossus Guardian.

The tournament had 27 players enter, which I was thrilled with. Not only did it blow last year's 10 entries out of the water, but it did so with things stacked against it. Let's face it - 10pm start on the night before the championship is not a great time slot. The fact that the team tournament was running VERY late and forced us to start an hour later makes it all the more amazing we had that number.

I was told by a number of people that TILE WARS is what they mainly played. One of the things I love about Star Wars Miniature in general is that if you get creative - there's a way to play that will appeal to everyone. Some people love pure DCI, some love TILE WARS, some love Dynamic Duo, and some (like me) love it all. There were even several pick-up TILE WARS tournaments that happened through-out the weekend. I handed out my squads to anyone that wanted to play, and I think the 6 I brought all got used at least once. Jim told me that he had alot of positive feedback on TILE WARS, and he saw several games of TILE WARS happening during League play as well. Jim even brought up the possibility of multiple TILE WARS tournaments happening next year. I'll be happy with just a decent time slot! (Just not during the championship or Jedi Challenge please!)

Also exciting news - 3 of Chris West's new tiles were used in the TILE WARS tournament, and 5 more are under consideration for being made legal. To check out his tiles, and for ordering info - go here: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/
Here's the new map store, specifically:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/mapsofmastery

He also graciously agreed to make a tile with terrain and walls designed by the winner the GenCon TILE WARS tournament each year. So Phillip and Deri get to design their own tiles, have Mapmaker make them, and then have the community use them. I am very excited about this!

Everyone please post here your thoughts and experiences on TILE WARS at GenCon, and as always - post any general thoughts on TILE WARS at our main thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7032

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Due to overwhelming majority - I have decided to bring the time limit down from 1 hour to 45 minutes. There's no reason someone can't finish in that time. I am still considering 30 minutes, but ultimately - I don't want to have to give a double-loss. Play-test and report back - 45 is the new limit for now, but 30 might be in our future.

Also - playtest Mapmaker's new tiles! We used 3 at the GenCon tournament, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be legal. ("I will make it legal"- Emperor Palpatine) 5 more are under consideration (including the 4 train cars) - let me know what you think. I certainly want the players as a whole to decide these issues. WE don't have to wait forever for the floor rules to be handed down - we can just decide what's best for the format and make it happen. But you're input is needed for that to work.

3 "Mapmaker" tiles used at the GenCon TILE WARS tournament:
Cargo Hold
Guard Post
Extension Bridge

I have gone ahead and added these to the list of LEGAL TILES.

5 other "Mapmaker" tiles under consideration:
Cargo Loading Dock
Control Car
Empty Freight Car
Freight Car
Passenger Car

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm 
General
General

I'd really love to hear how the new tiles are working out for folks!

By the way, my map store went live late yesterday, so now anyone can order the new tiles online. I'm selling them in sets of 12 for 10$ plus shipping. The shipping cost is $4.95 (in the US; more overseas), but I can fit up to 10 sets of tiles (or a mix of tiles and posters) in the same envelope for that one shipping cost. It's a flat rate Priority Mail envelope with a 4lb weight limit.

So, if you do order more than one item, make sure you request an invoice with combined shipping before checking out! It'll save you some money.

Here's the store URL:

As for the older tiles, I'm going to go right now to see if I can find those and send them to Sarah.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Mapmaker wrote:
As for the older tiles, I'm going to go right now to see if I can find those and send them to Sarah.

Very cool of you, I had to print out tiles from jpegs I made off Vassal, and they are pretty crummy. I played Tile Wars last month at Tim's and half way through my opponent and I realized there was a door we had been ignoring.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:

Sweet! That's great!

We want as many people to play as possible - and this will certainly help. :)
Mapmaker wrote:
I'd really love to hear how the new tiles are working out for folks!

By the way, my map store went live late yesterday, so now anyone can order the new tiles online. I'm selling them in sets of 12 for 10$ plus shipping. The shipping cost is $4.95 (in the US; more overseas), but I can fit up to 10 sets of tiles (or a mix of tiles and posters) in the same envelope for that one shipping cost. It's a flat rate Priority Mail envelope with a 4lb weight limit.

So, if you do order more than one item, make sure you request an invoice with combined shipping before checking out! It'll save you some money.

Here's the store URL:

There's really no reason for any TILE WARS fan to not buy these tiles. 3 are already legal, 5 more will probably soon become legal. The other 4, while not usable for TILE WARS - are still great tiles that will add to any custom map, RPG game, or anything else creative you can think of. That's not to mention the double sided map Mr. West has for sale. Overwhelming majority of the top level gamers agree they are two of the best maps to date. Period. No reason not to buy it too if you play regular minis.

My suggestion: Buy 1 set of tiles and one double sided map. Combined shipping will save you $ and it will only be 4.95 for both to ship. I support Christopher West's products not only because they are top quality, but also because he's a great guy and supports our game, our community of gamers, and even the TILE WARS format itself. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:52 pm 
General
General

Thanks for the support, Tim! :)

Just a followup note: I found my copy of the old tiles and Sarah is putting me in touch with their website manager in order to determine the best way to send the files (they're fairly large as a group).

My copies don't include the terrain lines (WotC used to add those themselves), so I may end up adding those before sending them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Chris,

If there's anything that I can do to help out, just say the word. If that means putting terrain lines on the maps or creating the PDF's myself, I'll be happy to help out in any way that I can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
Thanks for the support, Tim! :)

Just a followup note: I found my copy of the old tiles and Sarah is putting me in touch with their website manager in order to determine the best way to send the files (they're fairly large as a group).

My copies don't include the terrain lines (WotC used to add those themselves), so I may end up adding those before sending them.

That is so awesome! I can't wait. I will surely put that link on the front page of this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think this needs to be here in this thread too.
Taken from the tournament results forum:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Well, i tend to play a lot of TileWars. Being good friends with the creators helps and sometimes when we don't fancy playing a 2 hr 200 pointer or whatever (we tend to play games to the end) we end up with TileWars as our substitute. Through my playing i've found that the NR are beasts by having the strongest disruptive in the game. Commander Effects can get pretty ridiculous in TileWars so Kyle Katarn JBM tends to make everything honest, which is why i call this squad

Mano a Mano

Kyle Katarn JBM
Han Galactic Hero
Mara Jade jedi
Ossus Guardian
General Wedge Antillies

There are obviously other tricks to this squad. Han Galactic hero prevents Master Tactician issues, MTB issues and any recon. It makes virtually any initiative (except Anticipation) 50/50. Mara is your one turn Kill that allows this squad to function with so few members. Han picks off Priests, Shapers, Czerkas, Droid Officers, Geonosians and any other weak commander that dares to stay in LOS. The Ossus is a brickhouse that prevents targeted force powers and takes a hell of a lot of killing so he is a great door opener not too mention a help against other jedi squads. Wedge is the sole commander effect that aids in keeping Kyle , Mara and the Ossus from taking too much dmg from the opposite Back Ranks.

I played on the Broken Edifice.

My 1st game was against a Kid who built a Grievous DAC droid squad. He brought a
Huge Crab Droid
Grievous DAC
2 super battle droid commanders
2 Super Battle Droid
Security Battle Droids
Geonosian Overseer
BDO

There were probably some other stuff. The pillars and my set up ensured the Crab Droid would not get twin or onto my square. Mara assaulted the crab droid very early putting 120 on it. Han took out the overseer but it took him 2 shots so the BDO was kept alive. Kyle Assaulted and killed the Crab droid as well as a security battle droid. The droids started returning fire and Kyle took a decent amount of dmg. I then ran the Ossus forward to kill another Battle Droid and he took the fire. Wedge took a shot on the BDO. His grievous was able to get a shot on Mara. The next round the carnage continued with Han picking off 2 30 hp droids and Mara finishing off another couple. Soon it was Grievous v almost my whole team. Kyle got involved assaulting Grievous and took a couple of hits but riposted one. Next round Mara finished Grievous and it was all done.

The next round I was against Jason Alvey who played a fearsome looking T1 swarm he had called “Beef”

Grievous DAC
4 X t1
A bgd droid?
IG droid?
Geonosian Overseer
BDO

This was a frightening match up that was made easier by 2 things, his main dmg dealers were large and positioning my ossus 2 squares directly behind the front pillar meant that the T1s couldn’t squeeze past a character on my square. I moved the Ossus with my 1st move and he spun he overseer and BDO to make life hard for Han. Mara moved up and assaulted one T1 and Kyle moved up to finish it. Mara took a hit from a T1 in return but blocked the one that landed whereas Kyle took a 40 dmg hit and riposted. Han took two shots to take out the Geonosian and give the T1s at the front single attacks. The T1s started Lifting each other around spreading the dmg so that It was Hard for Mara and Kyle to finish the remainder. After another T1 went down Kyle bit the dust after a few more hits and a failed evade save after grievous’s Gun. Han moved forward to put the front row in his disruptive field and Mara started using hit and run assaults to finish the remainder of the T1s. Han plugged away at the back support finishing the BDO and finally starting to lay into grievous with some good rolls. A cunning twin from Mara.

My 3rd round match up I faced a NR squad with similarities to mine but no Kyle.

Mara Jade, Jedi
Kol Skywalker
Dash Smuggler
Ossus?

Can’t remember much from the game, I went after Mara 1st, trying to avoid contact with Kol until his big killer went down. Kyle got a decent grenade off to begin with and the ossus set up a block for when the jedi tried to run past they got hit with his JH twins. I feel quite embarrased for my memory failing me in this one as it was a tense game.
The Dice worked in my favor and I pulled off the win.

Last Match was against Mark Sparks. He had a Mando Accurate Canderous Cannon squad.

Boba Merc Commander
Canderous Ordo
Mandalorian Captain
Madalorian Quatermaster
2 x mandalorian Scouts
Mandalorian Gunslinger

This match was really pretty back and forth. I set up so that I could rush his square fast and I think my first move was to move up Kyle and grenade a cluster that disrupted most of his pieces dropping Canderous to 3 shots. Still he lit up my people with Boba with Han taking 60. Mara moved up and assaulted the 2 scouts; Han may have landed a shot on one of the captains. I won init, and feeling comfortable about where I was at and took 2 AoOs with Mara to assault Boba. 2 crits later and Mara was down to 30 hp. She finished Boba but Ordo finished her off. My ossus moved up to take Fire from Kyle whilst han tried to land shots on the Captain and quartermaster. Han didn’t last too much longer and nor did my Ossus as the last couple of rounds saw Kyle and Wedge v Ordo, the quartermaster and the captain. Kyle and wedge finished off the captian and moved up to base ordo who had to move to get one shot. The round ended with Kyle and Ordo based Kyle at 100 and Ordo at 120. He won init and layed into Kyle but rolled appaulingly (6,5, 8). Kyle tripled, won init and tripled killing ordo without taking any dmg. The rest was mop up.

4-0

I won some boosters for my troubles

The TileWars tourney was a blast to play in coming across pretty interesting build concepts seen all over. It was always a frantic game with decent amounts of strategy and carnage as you’d expect.

The timing issues with TileWars was unfortunate. Without pointing fingers, the team tourney started late (where it had 4 hours to complete the scheduled 3 rounds) and that pushed the TileWars tourney start back as many people (myself included) had entered into both tournaments.

As a general Point to note; tourneys over the weekend ran long. The epitome of it for me was the 6hrs the 100 point tourney took on Friday. I don't blame Jim, Ray or Dean or any of the judges because handing in slips is down to the players and the return of the following round pairs is due to the people on the stage behind the computer. There is no doubt in my mind that the rate limiting step of processing the tournament occurred between submitting results and getting them. If results take 30 mins to come back, its not acceptable. Perhaps the stage is not where SWM results should be processed. A laptop operating from the league table with the correct software is all that's required to run these tourneys and if the stage isn't quick enough there is no reason it can't be taken care of by people closer to the events.

Even with TileWars starting when it did it came as a shock to me that it lasted until 3-3.30 as games several games seemed to take far longer than was expected. Peoples play speed seems to be an increasingly larger issue in all formats but I was particularly surprised to see it emerge in a format that is lauded for its quick matches. I think you just have to take the time down to 45 mins and leave it at that. Some games will just go that long but an hour for the game is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hey everyone - I got a PM from Matt, and I think it's worth discussing here on the thread:

Gurneywars wrote:
Hi Tim,

Just wanted to drop a line and say what a pleasure it was to meet you at gencon and compete in the tile war event.

One thing I have noticed is that your planning to change the time limit from 60 to 45 minutes. Great idea. I would also like to make a suggestion. The tiles that have doors on them that you need to go through to get to your opponent or vice versa I feel should be dropped from legal use. Broken edifice is one and cell block I believe is the name of the other. I think this will quicken up some of the games and make for a more bloody and quicker combat initiation.

Anyway was a pleasure and hope to see you around, maybe get a game or two of tile wars in :D

Sincerely,
Matt Gurney

Thanks Matt!

One great thing about this being a fan format and not official DCI (yet?) is that we as a community can decide what is best for the game, and implement it with a speed DCI cannot. We don't have to wait for floor rules to come out.

Bringing down the time limit was overwhelmingly agreed on, so the 45 minute rule is in effect (and I don't think anyone is looking back.) Is 30 minutes too short? Ultimately - I DON'T want to give out double-losses. Will 30 minutes just speed things up, or will it just turn people off if they don't quite finish in 30 minutes? Playtest and let me know.

As far as doors - I think it is worth being discussed. We already have the 'no locking doors' rule in effect, so that is not the issue. I can still see the reasoning behind thinking doors make games longer. Doors do still need to be opened. But to be honest, in most games I saw, once they were opened, they stayed open. The few times I saw doors shut after they were opened, it seemed that the player who brought the tile with the door had the door close on themselves. They were usually disappointed since they wanted to act more aggressively, but were forced to move the Character holding the door. I more often saw doors as a hindrance than as a defensive tactic. Having a single uggie on your squad can really help. But in general, on tiles with doors, usually the first round is - who's gonna open that door first and get clobbered?

I really think this deserves being discussed, but I do have a few concerns.

I already feel we don't have enough tile variety. I don't like the thought of banning more. In fact - I want to bring in 5 tiles of Mapmaker's that all have one or more doors. But that is why we need you guys to playtest these tiles and share your findings. Maybe 30 minutes with doors is not enough time.

I also find that doors add a definite strategic element to the game. I feel the format should not just be about designing a squad with uber power output, but also have a strategy that incorporates the tile itself. Deri used positioning on Broken Ediface to his advantage often, but it wasn't so much the door, as it was the pillars.

My initial instinct to this proposal is that doors aren't so much the problem, but time limits are. If you can finish a game in under 30 minutes with a doored tile, more power to you. I would like to hear what other TILE WARS players have to say on the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I personally think that Doors are fine. As you pointed out, it's not unusual for each squad to have at least one Ugnaught, so the doors don't typically last long anyways. Tile Wars is already a blood bath, and the couple of maps that have doors are the only things that help to keep crazy cannon squads like the Thruggernauts in check. Without any doors, power shooter squads (Thruggernauts, Mandos with Canderous, Seps w/ IG-86s, etc.) would get a large boost, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:32 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Tim,

We played TILEWARS this weekend at our LGS. We went with a 45 minute time limit but there was only a single game that took longer than 30 minutes (and it was the introduction to TILEWARS for one of the players involved). We used Chris' tiles to play and the doors didn't represent a very big problem for anyone. I, personally, think that 30 minutes is just about right.

If there are only 30 minutes available players will take bigger chances because the pressure is on. Bigger chances usually means bigger losses (on one side or the other) which typically translates into a greater level of excitement. People are already playing pieces/factions they might not otherwise use and the damage comes so quick and so heavy... cutting it down to 30 minutes would, I think, make it more fun for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am 
General
General

My two cents: If you get rid of doors completely, characters whose point cost is based partly on door control lose even more value in the format. They're already less useful since doors can't be locked shut; remove doors altogether and those abilities have no use at all for this style of game.

That said, some tiles with no doors won't hurt the format, will they?

I ask because I'm developing a handful of new tiles to compliment my Dagobah-themed "Swamplands" map, and they have no doors. Just trees, foliage, a little Star Wars tech, and assorted varieties of dirt...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
Tim,

We played TILEWARS this weekend at our LGS. We went with a 45 minute time limit but there was only a single game that took longer than 30 minutes (and it was the introduction to TILEWARS for one of the players involved). We used Chris' tiles to play and the doors didn't represent a very big problem for anyone. I, personally, think that 30 minutes is just about right.

If there are only 30 minutes available players will take bigger chances because the pressure is on. Bigger chances usually means bigger losses (on one side or the other) which typically translates into a greater level of excitement. People are already playing pieces/factions they might not otherwise use and the damage comes so quick and so heavy... cutting it down to 30 minutes would, I think, make it more fun for everyone.

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for - thanks Chuck! I am leaning towards 30 minutes, but it's reports just like this one that will cement it.

LoboStele wrote:
I personally think that Doors are fine. As you pointed out, it's not unusual for each squad to have at least one Ugnaught, so the doors don't typically last long anyways. Tile Wars is already a blood bath, and the couple of maps that have doors are the only things that help to keep crazy cannon squads like the Thruggernauts in check. Without any doors, power shooter squads (Thruggernauts, Mandos with Canderous, Seps w/ IG-86s, etc.) would get a large boost, IMO.

Good point Aaron. I agree. I personally like the strategy doors offer, but I felt it was worth discussing.

Mapmaker wrote:
My two cents: If you get rid of doors completely, characters whose point cost is based partly on door control lose even more value in the format. They're already less useful since doors can't be locked shut; remove doors altogether and those abilities have no use at all for this style of game.

That said, some tiles with no doors won't hurt the format, will they?

I ask because I'm developing a handful of new tiles to compliment my Dagobah-themed "Swamplands" map, and they have no doors. Just trees, foliage, a little Star Wars tech, and assorted varieties of dirt...

As far as characters with override losing their value, it is true, but it's already almost the case. Out of 27 squads run at GenCon, only one had override (ironcially enough, it was fielded by Matt G who first proposed the door question). He had Lobot Computer Liason Officer, and I assume he ran him more for recon and reserves than override.

To me it's less about override and more about having to have someone open the door. That in and of itself makes a door a big strategic importance, with positives and negatives.

But definitely more tiles is always a good thing! You can never go wrong with a tiles without doors. (At least that is to say NOT having a door won't be what breaks a tile).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 pm 
General
General

The 1st reason I brought up the door tile issue was that not only did I bring a door tile but so did each of my opponents. So I feel that the door tiles are limiting the number of tiles being seen on their own.

The 2nd reason. What I was finding during most of the games was at least one round was used to see who could out activate who before opening of the last door door between opponents.(making the games go longer then they should) I also was finding was whoever opened the last remaining door first before end of round was the player who took the lost.(meaning if you didn't play the out activation game then open the door so you weren't taking 2 activations of killing versus one activation from start. If you opened the door any time before you were taking 2 activations of being shot up by the major guns from your opponent.)

Is it a major problem? No, I can live with the doors. I just saw a pattern at least in my games and thought maybe it should be discussed.

Is it worth considering? I believe so

There is also a third reason. This has to do more because of broken edifice then cell block.
Huge pieces. I would like to see more huge pieces in play. :D

Yes Tim I ran Lobot CLO for reserves and recon, but also ironically I had overrided a door open. :D

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next