logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TILE WARS is a SWM variant format that a friend and I developed. Created in 2007, born of an idea from Jacob Snodgrass, who was frustrated with the lack of action in competitive games. Then along with myself, Deri Morgan (fingerandteeth) and other members of Chicago League 1670, we play-tested and shaped it. Next with help from the guys at Gamer's Paradise (now Chicagoland Games) and Pastimes in Niles, we played, promoted and spread the word of the new format. I am pleased that this format has gained popularity so quickly. It's fast and fun, and is much more complex than it appears at first glance. Some have referred to it as a Star Wars cage match. Action is unavoidable, and you only win when all enemies are dead. It's a version we play sometimes when we don't have time for a full game. GenCon 2008 was it's first big tournament appearance (Won by Phillip Carlisle aka Joruus C'Boath), and that was in the 100pt format. 2009 was it's first big tournament appearance in the fan demanded (and original conception) 200pt format (Won by Deri Morgan aka fingersandteeth). Complete TILE WARS Hall of Fame info: HERE

I present to you:

TILE WARS

Game play follows all rules of standard Star Wars Miniatures 200 pt. play with the following exceptions:

1. Both players bring with them 1 tile (5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares), INSTEAD of a map. Legal tiles will be officially released WotC, or designed by Christopher West (aka "Mapmaker") 5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares tile. At this time the list includes the tiles (5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares) from any starter set, league promo, official WotC download, or any Ultimate Missions book, or any of Christopher West's (aka "Mapmaker") Tile sets or downloads. See list below for all legal tiles. The tile must have all the appropriate lines and marking (doors, walls, pits, etc.) for Star Wars Miniatures. Your entire squad must be able to fit on your tile.
These are the official legal tiles released to date for this format (Updated 4/24/2012), (Updated 7/23/2012):

Rebel Storm Starter:
Cargo Bay
Control Room
Detetion Block
Hanger Bay
Hyperdrive Station
Storage

Clone Strike Starter:
Battle Droid Factory
Crater
Destroyer Droid Factory
Execution Pillar
Power Station
Shattered Hall
Shattered Pillar
Speeder Wreck

Leauge Kits:

Bombed Out Villa
Crumbled Depot
Ruined Plaza

Clone Strike Ultimate Missions:
Broken Ediface

Revenge of the Sith Ultimate Missions:
Starfighter

Official WotC downloadable tiles:
<Click on the name to download the tile!>
Desert & Sarlacc Tiles
Throne Room Tiles (Please keep in mind only the 4th tile with two un-walled ends will work for TILE WARS.)

*note - Turbolift Cluster and Shaft are not legal Tiles for TILE WARS*

Christopher West's Tiles (aka "Mapmaker")
<Link to buy these tiles: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/store.html>
Cargo Hold
Cargo Loading Dock
Extension Bridge
Guard Post
Control Car
Empty Freight Car
Freight Car
Passenger Car

Here are the additional Christopher West Tiles that are also legal:
(All by Christopher West <at Maps of Mastery>

Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles:
Speeder Truck
Armored Truck

*Sorry - upon further inspection these two tiles are no longer legal (4/24/12)

"Surveillance Station" (5x8) Terrain Card Set:
(Most of these tiles are 2 sided, so I put them in pairs to make it easier.)
Gambling Lounge/Security Corridor (both sides are legal)
Maintenance Bay/Galley (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 1 (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 2 (both sides are legal)
Secured Hanger/Submersible Bay (both sides are legal)
Storage (ONLY the side WITHOUT the "Maps of Mastery" logo is legal)

"Railway Station Tiles" (5x8) Terrain Card Set:
Cargo Loading Dock/Engineering Bay (both sides are legal)
Control Car/Control Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Empty Freight Car/Empty Freight Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Freight Car/Freight Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Passenger Car/Passenger Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Extension Bridge (Retracted Bridge on reverse side is NOT legal)
Railway Line (reverse side is not a tile)

"Alien Starship Tiles" (5x8) Terrain Card Set:
Abdominal Structure (Biogel Chamber on reverse side is NOT legal)
Alien Floor (Biomechanical Starfighter on reverse side is NOT legal)
Audience Chamber/Command Pod (both sides are legal)
Empty Chamber (Alcoves on reverse side is NOT legal)

and DOWNLOADABLE tiles from Maps of Mastery:
(http://mapsofmastery.com/downloads.html)
<Click on the name to download the tile!>
Quicksand
Campsite
Crash Site
Control Car Roof
Freight Car Roof
Hangar Bay
Starfighter
Extension Bridge
Dragon's Hoard
Mining Track
Command Pod

Biogell Chamber
*Sorry - upon further inspection this tile is no longer legal (4/24/12)

This will be the list for GenCon 2012! (7/23/2012)

2. Both players bring their tile and place it with their desired 5 square side towards their opponent. The two tiles must "connect" to each other through the five squares of the narrow side. The tiles should not overlap, but lay adjacent and in line with each other. Tiles may not be offset. In addition, there must be at least 2 squares of "access" to the opposing players tile. Access will be considered 1 square on one player’s tile with no terrain, rough terrain or low objects (no walls or pits) directly adjacent (not diagonal) to a square on your opponent’s tile with no terrain, rough terrain or low objects (no walls or pits). Walled off ends of tiles must be faced away from your opponent. If the tiles don't fit together with the requisite 2 squares of access, then BOTH players must turn their tile 180 degrees. If there is only one way 2 tiles can fit together and allow for at least 2 squares of access, they must be turned so that they can do that. If for some reason 2 tiles cannot fit together with at least 2 squares of access, a new tile must be used by both players, chosen randomly by the judge.

Roll for setup, winner chooses who places characters first. Characters can be placed
anywhere on their own tile. Your entire squad must be able to fit legally on your tile. Every character must be able to reach the other players tile, attack an enemy or be attacked by an enemy. (This rule is simply to prevent the trapping of one or more of your own characters behind a wall for the whole game.)

3. A player must destroy every unit on an opponent’s team to be declared the winner. No lock out victories. There is no gambit and no time limit. (Games last an average of 20-30 minutes.) Overriding a door locked CLOSED is illegal in TILE WARS. All characters with the Diplomat special ability lose that ability in TILE WARS. If for some reason neither team is completely defeated after 45 minutes, it will result in a double-loss, regardless of points.

________________________________________ ___________________________________

I would love for you all to playtest this format and report back. Ways to abuse it? It is a kill 'em all game, any way for that not to happen? Powerful squads? Let me know.

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am, edited 31 times in total.

Post subject: Re: TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tile Wars is a blast :)
I think we played 150 when we tried it at our LGS.
Luke_Skywalker schooled me big time. Valuable lessons were learned :lol:
I look forward to trying it at 200, and would be very cool if it makes the official DCI list of formats.
Thanks for posting the rules here 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I know in Cincinnati we have a blast on weeks when we run Tile Wars. Every so often you would see an abusive squad, but I haven't see any in a while.

The last one was when Bounty Hunters came out. A guy at our store would run 2 Uggernauts, Thrawn, Jabba and Veers with some filler. The Uggernauts would activate first and pretty much eliminate the opponents squad before they could activate. Since that release though, we have had numerous new miniatures with Disruption (kills this build in Tile Wars) and the important ruling on 1 activation at the start of a round (keeps both Uggernauts from unloading on you).

GOWK should remain out of play in this format too. He is abusive in any format really as he is.

I would recommend ignoring Reserves and Reinforcements in this format. There really isn't a need or the room for it.

I will very honest in saying that I love this format even more at a 100 points Dynamic Dou format. We typically will run 3 tournaments a night requiring all the players to run 3 separate Dynamic Dou squads in an Iron Man type tournament where the winner is determined based on performance in all 3 events. Games typically take maybe 10 minutes (15 minutes tops) due to the tiles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Are there download versions of the tiles other than the one listed above for those of us without access to the rest of the list?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lackey wrote:
I know in Cincinnati we have a blast on weeks when we run Tile Wars. Every so often you would see an abusive squad, but I haven't see any in a while.

The last one was when Bounty Hunters came out. A guy at our store would run 2 Uggernauts, Thrawn, Jabba and Veers with some filler. The Uggernauts would activate first and pretty much eliminate the opponents squad before they could activate.

I would call running Uggernaughts in a tournament just after Bounty Hunters was released abusive! :P

Quote:
I would recommend ignoring Reserves and Reinforcements in this format. There really isn't a need or the room for it.

Agreed. Can just imagine a Kazdan squad at 200. Try avoiding Recon on tiles :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

swinefeld wrote:
I would call running Uggernaughts in a tournament just after Bounty Hunters was released abusive! :P

Yeah...I meant Force Unleashed...Regardless, Uggernaughts with Cunning and Accurate plus Thrawn's +3 were sick on tiles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lackey wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Yeah...I meant Force Unleashed...Regardless, Uggernaughts with Cunning and Accurate plus Thrawn's +3 were sick on tiles.

I was just joking of course, I knew it was a typo :)
And yes, that IS a sick combo, even when not on tiles. I've seen it run before :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
Are there download versions of the tiles other than the one listed above for those of us without access to the rest of the list?

Not that I know of. If anyone comes across a link - I'd be happy to put them in the thread.

I will have extra tiles for anyone to use at the GenCon tournament. Just bring a squad, we'll set you up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Glad you all are enjoying!

I have thought about the reinforcement/reserves issue. Reinforcements isn't a problem at all - you just have to have enough space to put down the reinforcement figures to start.

I have thought about reserves. I have playtested it as well. As far as space for the figs - if you can't fit them, you can't play them. Simple as that (doesn't happen often at all). As far as being abusive - I would say I beat a Kazdan/Qui-Gon JM/Quinlan Vos Infiltrator team 8/10 times. As well as other uber reserves builds (Sup Chanc Palp, Mon Mothma, etc.) It's tough - but you're spending alot on reserve possibilities, and not enough on power output (IMO). At least one key piece should die in the first round, and then it's uphill from there. They usually end up in the middle of the pack as far as tournaments I've seen. Never seen one win a tourney. I don't see it as overly abusive.

Ah and the Uggernaut. That's a fun squad. Played it and won with it, but only because I didn't run into disruptive. Funny, I've never seen another tournament with no disruptive since.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
I agree. The biggest obstacle with Tile Wars is figuring out how to make all the additional rules easy to understand and concise, as we are already have problems with the very limited rules of DD.... But otherwise, I see no reason why January 2010 can't add Tiles :)

I also worry that another obstacle is that only "old timers" have products with actual tiles.

When I proposed it for the Web I was going to include some downloadable simple tiles that mimicked the popular layouts on the official ones to get around this. That's a barrier to a Floor Rules solution. Given we now have the Elite driver precident for a link to download content perhaps we could do something similar for the times along the lines of my original plan.

That would be great. Here's another idea (don't know if it would work any better in an official format) - just have random Tiles supplied by the tournament for those who don't have them. We always bring extra (I will at GenCon too!), and make sure everyone that wants to play, can. We do have 2 official tiles on the wizards boards that anyone can download and play with. Maybe that's enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:47 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
NickName wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
I agree. The biggest obstacle with Tile Wars is figuring out how to make all the additional rules easy to understand and concise, as we are already have problems with the very limited rules of DD.... But otherwise, I see no reason why January 2010 can't add Tiles :)

I also worry that another obstacle is that only "old timers" have products with actual tiles.

When I proposed it for the Web I was going to include some downloadable simple tiles that mimicked the popular layouts on the official ones to get around this. That's a barrier to a Floor Rules solution. Given we now have the Elite driver precident for a link to download content perhaps we could do something similar for the times along the lines of my original plan.

That would be great. Here's another idea (don't know if it would work any better in an official format) - just have random Tiles supplied by the tournament for those who don't have them. We always bring extra (I will at GenCon too!), and make sure everyone that wants to play, can. We do have 2 official tiles on the wizards boards that anyone can download and play with. Maybe that's enough.

Two tiles isn't nearly enough, in my opinion. I do not have any tiles myself and I have 10-15 players each week who show up for tournaments, none of which own any of those tiles either. Having only 2 tiles to choose from is the only reason I haven't run any Tile Wars tournaments at our LGS. I am anable to afford the prices that people charge, when I manage to find them, for those old starter sets and the only tiles that I've been able to find locally are the Galaxy Tiles which are not suitable for Tile Wars. We missed out on League Kits so we just don't have access to those tiles.

Having only 2 tiles would make for a very stale setting in a very short period of time.

I know that someone from WotC said something about the products that they release (I believe it was Sarah in relation to the CW Poster) being able to be printed and used however we like as long as we weren't using them to turn a profit. I wonder if Wizards would allow someone who does have access to that out-of-print stuff to make scans of them and put them up for people to download...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
NickName wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Two tiles isn't nearly enough, in my opinion. I do not have any tiles myself and I have 10-15 players each week who show up for tournaments, none of which own any of those tiles either. Having only 2 tiles to choose from is the only reason I haven't run any Tile Wars tournaments at our LGS. I am anable to afford the prices that people charge, when I manage to find them, for those old starter sets and the only tiles that I've been able to find locally are the Galaxy Tiles which are not suitable for Tile Wars. We missed out on League Kits so we just don't have access to those tiles.

Having only 2 tiles would make for a very stale setting in a very short period of time.

I know that someone from WotC said something about the products that they release (I believe it was Sarah in relation to the CW Poster) being able to be printed and used however we like as long as we weren't using them to turn a profit. I wonder if Wizards would allow someone who does have access to that out-of-print stuff to make scans of them and put them up for people to download...

I was really bummed when the galaxy tiles weren't properly lined for minis. What a dumb move on WOTC's part! I didn't mean to say that 2 tiles would be enough for anyone to play and be happy with, but rather the fact that 2 are officially downloadable tiles might give precident to allow it to become official. I have a friend who works at a print shop. I will look into printing some out and selling them at exactly cost. That would be affordable and give a variety.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

They wouldn't have really worked for the purpose of Tile Wars but yes I too was disappointed.

I think if we can drive Tile Wars into being more mainstream, perhaps with a Map Pack they can include 2 tiles in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
I have a friend who works at a print shop. I will look into printing some out and selling them at exactly cost. That would be affordable and give a variety.

I would highly recommend against this because, sold at cost or not, it's selling copyrighted material owned and licensed by WotC. Scanning them and making them available for download so that others can print them out on their own is a completely different story, especially if you get the nod from Sarah. They're 5 x 7, correct? So 2 of them can fit on a single sheet of paper ($1.00 for super great quality @ Kinko's) and that piece of paper can be glued (elmers glue stick) to card stock (the cardboard at the back of a notebook) and trimmed to size fairly easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:24 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Great news!! I just talked to a local guy who has the starter set(s) tiles and I'll be picking them up from him tomorrow so I can scan all of them and make multiples like I outlined above. Looks like I'll be able to setup some Tile Wars games afterall!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
Great news!! I just talked to a local guy who has the starter set(s) tiles and I'll be picking them up from him tomorrow so I can scan all of them and make multiples like I outlined above. Looks like I'll be able to setup some Tile Wars games afterall!

That is great news! Do we know anyone that can post those images for download? Maybe the Holocron?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
Nivuahc wrote:

That is great news! Do we know anyone that can post those images for download? Maybe the Holocron?

That would require permission from WotC first... but I plan to put them together as PDF's anyway and don't mind putting them up if WotC gives the nod.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We can certainly host those PDFs here at Gamers as well. And if you get permission Chuck, may as well put them up on your Atlanta site, as it's becoming a nice resource as well. Oh, and the SWMRAC site!

If there are tiles you end up missing from the list of 'acceptable' ones, let me know and I'll see if I can scan in any you don't get. Between myself and a couple of the other local guys, I think we have all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
We can certainly host those PDFs here at Gamers as well. And if you get permission Chuck, may as well put them up on your Atlanta site, as it's becoming a nice resource as well. Oh, and the SWMRAC site!

If there are tiles you end up missing from the list of 'acceptable' ones, let me know and I'll see if I can scan in any you don't get. Between myself and a couple of the other local guys, I think we have all of them.

Thanks for the effort on this guys. Obviously we all want to get as many people as possible to play. Having products that are no longer sold be a hindering factor seems silly when this solution works. Wizards should also applaud these efforts, because the more ways that hook people into mini, the more their product will sell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Here's the letter that I sent to Sarah:

Quote:
Sarah,

--8<----8<---- snip some personal stuff from the beginning

There's a very popular play format, created by some players, called Tile Wars that you've no doubt seen mentioned on the forums. There is even talk about possibly including this format in a future set of DCI floor rules.

The largest draw-back for new play groups adopting this format is the availability of those Map Tiles which Wizards released in the Rebel Storm and Clone Strike starter sets. There were also some tiles that were released as part of the now defunct league kits that are almost impossible to get, along with a couple from the CS and RotS Missions books.

I've managed to locate a local person who has the map tiles from those starter sets and I would like to make a small request of Wizards that I believe would allow play groups everywhere the chance to try out this format for themselves.

I would like to make high quality scans the tiles that I have available to me and produce PDF's of them that I can make available for download by the community. I don't want to charge money for them, I won't be taking money away from WotC (these are out of print and only available on the secondary market at extraordinarily high prices, and only as part of the original starter sets, not individually), and would be willing to put up a disclaimer of your choosing stating that they are for personal use only and any other such legalese you feel appropriate.

I have several places available to host the PDF's myself so it would require absolutely no effort on the part of WotC to take care of this. I would, of course, be happy to send you the PDF's to be hosted on Wizard's site if you so desired.

So what do you think? Is this something that I could do without fear of getting a visit from a Wizards of the Coast legal team? :)

- Chuck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next