logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Formats - Non Uniques
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Basically, I wonder if anyone can help...

I think on here ages ago I saw something called 'Peasant SWM' or something related, in which I think squads were 100 points and only using Non-Uniques (or at least only using UC/C minis)

I only ask because I live in an area in which I am basically the only SWM player, and yet I have spent faaaar too much money on the hobby for no reason...anyhoo, digression aside, because of this lack of regualr competition, I have recently given away some UC/Cs to friends to just mess about with, to try and get tehm to play so my VR/Rs can get used...

However, in doing so, we have played some great games and I have come to realise that a lot of the time just playing UC/C figs brings some fun shenanigans as you can't rely on some epic VR to pull a game out for you.

Is there any chance that this'll become a 'proper' format? And/or does anyone else have any experiences of playing it?

Post subject: Re: Formats - Non Uniques
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

You've got the basic idea of it. Peasant Wars or Peasant Format is what a lot of us used to call it, and it is basically just whatever point format you want to use, and all pieces have to be non-Uniques (or C/UC, it works out about the same, except for the few non-Unique Rs/VRs).

I doubt it will become an "official" tournament format, as at this point, other than GenCon/Regionals, there's not a whole lot of need for official formats. But it is definitely a good one to play.

There's actually a host of variations on that idea which you can use as well. For instance, one we used to do was Soldier Format: no commanders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Heh, yeah we played a few just with Force Users, or just Melee, to make it a pretty epic brawl.

It's just a way for me to try to get more people to play cos otherwise I'll never get to use the minis I keep buying :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I came up with one a while back in which you could only have one commander effect (that would apply to all of your pieces) and your only allowed to have one of each mini in your squad ( one ewok,one storm trooper etc..) thats far as I got with planning it...

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:00 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

ender_ wrote:
I came up with one a while back in which you could only have one commander effect (that would apply to all of your pieces) and your only allowed to have one of each mini in your squad ( one ewok,one storm trooper etc..) thats far as I got with planning it...

And it needs more than that because?... Looks good to me, lol.

Anywho, the 'official' Peasent format, iirc, is 100pts (though obviously you can play at whatever level you want). No more than 25% of the squad can be UC, the rest must be C. No more than 5 of any single named figure. So, you could play 5 stormtroopers, and an elite stormtrooper if you wanted, but not 6 stormtroopers.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Disturbed1 wrote:
ender_ wrote:

And it needs more than that because?... Looks good to me, lol.

I wasn't sure what to put the point cap at for a squad...

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I dont really see why it needs a specific point level to play at, honestly. if you go with 200, people will either play more expensive pieces, or just tons of different cheaper ones.

Were you intending on it being non-uniques or C/UC only, or just the 'only 1 of anything' rule?

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:12 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Disturbed1 wrote:
I dont really see why it needs a specific point level to play at, honestly. if you go with 200, people will either play more expensive pieces, or just tons of different cheaper ones.

Were you intending on it being non-uniques or C/UC only, or just the 'only 1 of anything' rule?

well it was inspired by the MTG format Elder Dragon Highlander,in which you have 100 cards,no more than one of each card unless its basic land. so basically one of everything...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Disturbed1 wrote:
Anywho, the 'official' Peasent format, iirc, is 100pts (though obviously you can play at whatever level you want). No more than 25% of the squad can be UC, the rest must be C. No more than 5 of any single named figure. So, you could play 5 stormtroopers, and an elite stormtrooper if you wanted, but not 6 stormtroopers.

Also, 50% max could be Stealth at the time because it was determined to be too powerful.

You might need to ammend that to include Cloak. (Mando Cap/Scout squads will still be beastly so even more might need to be done here. You might go with "C characters with Stealth or Cloak count as UC.)

Rakghoul should be fine since it falls under the UC limit and costs 16 so you only get 1 typically.