logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: DESTINY of the FORCE - How to Order (Kickstarter is up!!!)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Submitted my $20 pledge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:42 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Just got my computer up and running again and I pledged mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Pledged my $20... #66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Is it at all possible to pay through paypal? I didn't think so looking at the site, and I always try to do that first before using the card itself. Just wanna check before I use the card.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:51 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

If everyone else who donates puts in $20, we are only 19 backers away from making the goal...so, like 1 person every 3 days and we could still make it, lol.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:57 pm 
General
General

Disturbed1 wrote:
If everyone else who donates puts in $20, we are only 19 backers away from making the goal...so, like 1 person every 3 days and we could still make it, lol.

I sent Dean $100 directly, which isn't part of Kickstarter. So that's more like 14 backers to go :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:55 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Wedge772 wrote:
Disturbed1 wrote:

I sent Dean $100 directly, which isn't part of Kickstarter. So that's more like 14 backers to go :)

Well how cool is that.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Just wondering, the kickstarter requires a donation of 20$. i will gladly pay that. But how much should us foreign(european) backers pay to cover additional expenses to posting?

I thought i'd post the question here, maybe it could be interesting other 'international' players as well.

Also, and this might the wrong place to say this, WOW this is looking good. huge thumbs up to the development team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Nuka wrote:
Just wondering, the kickstarter requires a donation of 20$. i will gladly pay that. But how much should us foreign(european) backers pay to cover additional expenses to posting?

I thought i'd post the question here, maybe it could be interesting other 'international' players as well.

Also, and this might the wrong place to say this, WOW this is looking good. huge thumbs up to the development team

Well I live in the UK, and i only donated $20. To be honest a set of 60 cards should only be about $1 more to post overseas anyway. Plus a lot are not donating the full $20.
But an answer would be nice all the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:41 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Just to claify, the $20 is not for the price of your set of cards. $20 is to get us the amount needed to have the entire print run completed (500 sets of cards) plus shipping to everyone who helps as a gift. Think of it like pledging to NPR - you pledge a certain amount, and NPR sends you a free T-shirt - but you have to pay more than the price of the T-shirt because you are donating, not buying the T-shirt :)

Anyways, for those oversees, as far as I know, if you donate $20, Dean has said you will get a full set sent to you. The real cost of a set including shipping is less than $20 (although I don't know exactly what it runs - tough to figure out with all the shipping costs as a total guess on my part). But either way, it will work.

If you prefer to order a full set later for an exact amount, that's likely possible from Dean, once all the gift sets from donators are sent out. But if you do the $20 now, you will be fine.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

#71, coincidentally, my favorite number :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:20 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

billiv15 wrote:
Just to claify, the $20 is not for the price of your set of cards. $20 is to get us the amount needed to have the entire print run completed (500 sets of cards)

Math was never my strong point. So to understand this, 90 people pledge $20. That's $1800. That gets billed to those 90 people allowing not 90 sets of cards but 500?

So to understand this right i'm paying $20 for something that costs $3.60 and and additional 410 sets are being printed on my dime.

I just want to understand that part. So essentially all the people that didn't pledge get their set for free????? *confused*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Fool wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Just to claify, the $20 is not for the price of your set of cards. $20 is to get us the amount needed to have the entire print run completed (500 sets of cards)

Math was never my strong point. So to understand this, 90 people pledge $20. That's $1800. That gets billed to those 90 people allowing not 90 sets of cards but 500?

So to understand this right i'm paying $20 for something that costs $3.60 and and additional 410 sets are being printed on my dime.

I just want to understand that part. So essentially all the people that didn't pledge get their set for free????? *confused*

From my point of view, this is what is going on:

This $20 thing is a DONATION, thanks for which will be given to you in form of one of the sets this spiel is funding the printing of. Once the set is released, people can print the set for free themselves (via pdf file on the main page), or if they prefer, they can pay the naked cost of the set + shipping to have it shipped to them on nice quality paper (whereas I know I personally would just print it out on multipurpose flimsy stuff if I were not getting one mailed)

Now, the question might be, why take donations if no money would be lost since all sold sets will be sold exactly at cost and the money will be made back up to a dime. Well, my guess is two things might be happening:

1. They are planning to print more than will be sold right away (or ever) to make sure they don't run out (and NEVER have to reprint). Therefore the "sales" for the first year probably won’t come close to cost, and then Gamers would be sitting on $3.60 (assuming that’s cost) x number remaining worth of unsold stuff. If only 200 sell (that’s my personal guess at the most at least in the first month, including the 90 pledges, maybe someone else has some more inside knowledge), that’s a big chunk of change that someone will have had to eat.

2. The sets will be sold for LESS than cost

So yes, they get their set for free IF they want to print it themselves.

It starts to get beyond me after that, or maybe was totally beyond me to begin with lol. What happens to the extra money (once sales outside of the pledges happen to make revenue go above expenditure, is there a charity or something, or will that just be applied to the next set requiring less pledge money for that one?)

Anyways, that’s a guess from someone who’s not on the “inside” or whatever. Hopefully someone who actually knows what’s going on might want to explain a bit more.

EDIT: "Spiel" was not meant offensively, I don't ever know what to name stuff over here. Is there a name for the v-card effort yet? Would being the "SWMPC" be cheating?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:45 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Our generosity allows the game to grow and keep going. There are people in my gaming group that don't use hte forums and have no idea about the v-sets other than what I've told them, and there are others who play that we can give card sets as gifts, as a way to draw them back to the game.

So to a degree yes your buying cards for players to be determined later. And getting a set yourself as well on the high quality paper to match the existing WOTC game cards.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

*thinks that Bill shouldnt have bothered clearing it up, as it has just caused more problems*

:P

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:00 pm 

Well Steve, the alternative is to never print cards for anyone, because there were no volunteers to front an $1800 bill up front on their own. So instead those who care about the community (and are on the forums and have some funds to help) are footing the bill together. We can't print them without having 1800 on hand.

As for how much it costs, well you are way off. You forgot shipping to each donation as well. We said it on the radio show weeks ago, the actual cost of a set of cards (including shipping to most places) is likely to be about $10 or so.

As for worrying about what you are getting for your donation, well I will simply tell you to wait until you get it. There is no point in complaining now, when you have very little idea what we are doing. If you don't trust that Dean is doing this the right way, that is totally fine - don't donate and wait to buy your set from what is left. No one has an issue with that. We have asked those that are willing to donate to get the set printed, that's what this is about - not the "what do I get" mentality that your post contains.

Finally, complaining about a full set of printed cards being sent to you for $20 strikes me as absolutely petty and ridiculous. It just goes to show you that people have absolutely 0 perspective and will complain about anything at all. Really??? $20???? You kidding me???? Lol. I can see you care so little for other people who play the game that you aren't willing to "over pay" by a whopping $10 to make sure we can print the cards so that everyone that wants one can get one. I've heard of selfish behavior, but $10????? Please, if you can't donate an additional $10, then I think it's time you step away from the game completely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:08 pm 

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
It starts to get beyond me after that, or maybe was totally beyond me to begin with lol. What happens to the extra money (once sales outside of the pledges happen to make revenue go above expenditure, is there a charity or something, or will that just be applied to the next set requiring less pledge money for that one?)

If there ends up being extra money (big if) but I think it's highly possible at least that we end up with more since the kickstarter has done really well, it gets applied to 2 places - paying for free sets to those that really can't afford it (like sending 5-6 sets to individual stores and players who contact Dean and tell him about the kids there, etc), and second, to printing V-set 2.

I don't know why this is so confusing. No one came forward with $1800 to print the set. Do you guys not realize that the printer isn't going to do this on credit or what? We have to have 1800 to print the set at all. We also want to be able to print 500 sets, so that we have extras for prizes, give aways, and those who can't afford it, or stores that want to run events, etc. Seriously, this is ridiculous. I will not post again about it. If you can't figure it out or think it's some scam, then please, don't donate. I'm serious. There are more than enough people to make this happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:

I don't know why this is so confusing. No one came forward with $1800 to print the set. Do you guys not realize that the printer isn't going to do this on credit or what? We have to have 1800 to print the set at all. We also want to be able to print 500 sets, so that we have extras for prizes, give aways, and those who can't afford it, or stores that want to run events, etc. Seriously, this is ridiculous. I will not post again about it. If you can't figure it out or think it's some scam, then please, don't donate. I'm serious. There are more than enough people to make this happen.

I'm pretty sure you weren't accusing me of calling this a scam, but in case you were, I'm sorry that you thought that.

I don't see why it's beneficial to accuse Fool (and perhaps me as well, “you people” is naturally pretty vague) of being complainers, petty, selfish, and ridiculous, just for wanting to know a little bit more about what will be done with his own money.

Personally, I just assumed that the difference between my donation and what I would have paid straight up later for a set would be applied to the sets that will have to be eaten or given away, or possibly to the next set. I think it’s GREAT that we don’t need everyone to donate; the donations are rolling in. However, if donations were hard to come by, perhaps for future sets, would it really be good to essentially say to those who might be a little curious about where there money is going that because they asked for some details about where their own money is going, it might be best if they don’t even bother donating?

I don’t think asking for details about this should lead to insinuation that those asking are calling it a scam.

billiv15 wrote:
If there ends up being extra money (big if) but I think it's highly possible at least that we end up with more since the kickstarter has done really well, it gets applied to 2 places - paying for free sets to those that really can't afford it (like sending 5-6 sets to individual stores and players who contact Dean and tell him about the kids there, etc), and second, to printing V-set 2.

This is a great answer, and exactly what I wanted to know (not that not knowing would have caused me to cancel my donation or anything). Statements like this, without accusations, are great ways to show people what their donation will be doing. I think being very explicit with what the donation will be doing is only helpful to the fundraising. Obviously, anyone donating would know they are funding the printing of the set. I would have hoped that someone who knew what other great things the donations would be doing would have been able to share those great things (prizes, help for those with affordability issues, future set, etc.), without throwing accusations.

Sort of like what bill was saying, this IS a donation, so those making it should realize that they are first and foremost giving freely, not buying a set. I don’t agree with asking for more information being met with hostility and stating that those who asked need not even bother helping because they didn’t want give unquestionably (Personally, I gave without needing to ask, since it was mostly straightforward to me, but I can totally see how giving lots more information can be a great asset to the venture)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Bill has i think given the answers to all member questions that has been raised, though i think he's reply could have been put a lot better.

Anyway Bill what the score? are we there yet?

Plus even though i personally am not involved in the production side of this project i would like to add my thanks to all the members who have been kind enough to donate to this. This project could so easily have died in its infancy if not for the support of the donations and to every member who took time to post there ideas on which characters, Special Abilities, Force Powers and so on they wished to see in the Vsets.

And Finally to the designers and all who have given there time (for free) in getting Vset one up and running.

I truly look forward to seeing the finished item. I know I am a playtester so know the stats, but there nothing like holding the finished cards inmy hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

So where are we now? How many have pledged so far. How many do we still have to get.

When $20 arrives in my hand I will send it out too. I think that the pledge is totaly worth while!

www.ocsws.com
Orange County Star Wars Society
California

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next