logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: New Map - Feedback Requested
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
That could be a cool way to allow for the adaptable terrain, and we all understand that blue is a door that moves, it would be easy to grasp a wall that moves, similar to the way Palpatines or a Golan Turret have the ability to evade damage despite being stationary. If we can grasp at that, then floating/free standing doors shouldn't be an issue either. Is there a way to do a string of them together without them all opening at once? Perhaps a red line between each segment, after all we might want one square of door open not the entire "wall" of them to be. And the red line could provide a slight cover barrier for corner shots through the open segents so it isn't completly in the open to be the pour sap (funny i used that pun in actual context, how often does that happen? Sap is short for sapper, who is a combat engineer,) who has to open the door.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, you could do something like the picture below, but that could end up breaking up some decent LOS all the way across the board too. I actually REALLY like the idea of completely stand-alone doors in the middle of the field. Sort of like energy fields almost or something. This kind of stuff is great for reinventing how we play the game. :)

Attachment:
doors.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Well, you could do something like the picture below, but that could end up breaking up some decent LOS all the way across the board too. I actually REALLY like the idea of completely stand-alone doors in the middle of the field. Sort of like energy fields almost or something. This kind of stuff is great for reinventing how we play the game. :)

Attachment:
doors.JPG

that would work well if you have a "bank" of doors to break them up with a little wall or "door frame" If you have some that are not adjacent to each other you could just have the door part there by itself which pretty much provides straight on cover but not as much from angles.

NEWAYS glad the idea was not totally crazy,and people like it, I actually hesitated to post it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hey, everybody thought Gallileo was crazy too. :P

I think it's a really awesome idea, gives the way to break up the field like the map needs, and doesn't impede huge pieces in the process either. Very cool overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:52 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

It's a neat idea, and fits perfectly with the theme of this map.

Back to the original questions... The map sketch has a bit too much difficult/object terrain for my tastes with that big ring of difficult around the center.

I prefer two "fixed" maps to one plus a blank with adaptable tiles but this idea is unique enough that I'd buy it anyway assuming the same pricing. It would seem to have higher production costs and if that means higher pricing too that starts to push it into less of a sure purchase than a new double sided poster map would normally be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:38 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

LoboStele wrote:
Hey, everybody thought Gallileo was crazy too. :P

So the earth really does revolve around the sun, not the other way around? your kidding, right? :o

I agree with there being a little much on the low objects/ difficult terrain. I understand you not wantint to extend some of the walls too much, for fear or blocking huges from moving from one side to the other of the map, but in all honesty, if the map was released as it appears in the second pic, I dont see any huges that arent regularly played now being played cause this map allows them to cross the board.

Now if we got the "All huges have Stable Footing" thing added to the Floor Rules, then that might be a different story...

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 am 
General
General

That door terrain thing is an intriguing idea. I'll play around with it, and see how it works. My worry is that the moving objects are blocks, rather than thin walls, so placing a wall along only one edge of the block doesn't make as much sense as encircling a whole block with the door terrain marker--which raises the issue of what happens if a unit moves into that block while the door is "open" and then overrides it "shut". It's a block, so shouldn't it just lift you to the top? (The absence of elevation rules in this game have always bugged me.) It might make more sense if you imagine it as the unit being swallowed up by the block, with a trapdoor closing over it or something.

Actually, that's kind of neat, as long as it isn't in gambit. Hmm...

I actually like the door obstacle better for a freestanding energy shield concept than for the shifting block terrain (since the terrain in the scenario was controlled by the trainers rather than those in the arena). Tactically speaking, I like the idea of a big energy barrier that prevents ranged attacks on your base, but then disappears the moment an enemy moves up and tries to take cover behind it...

In that situation, override makes perfect sense, and it's a new tactical use for that ability that doesn't invoke any risk of lockout.

If I don't incorporate freestanding doors on this side, I'll make a different arena for the back just to put this idea to good use! :)

P.S. "All huges have stable footing" sounds like a very good idea to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:52 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm jumping on the free standing door bandwagon. Nice idea. I picture them simple as retracting into the floor. Chris, I wouldn't get too wound up trying to emulate the episode too much, there's just not room enough on a single map to make it worth burning whole blocks that way. I think the doors are a good enough emulation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm 
General
General

I do plan to incorporate free-standing doors on one or both sides of the map, but I plan to make it a departure from the shifting block floor concept and depict them as free-standing energy screens. I'll post a followup sketch once I make the revisions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

One thing that's a result of elevation having to be faked in the game is the way the sniper roost/center tower on either side is completely open. They seem like the most exposed position on the map. What if the two squares next to the edge (6-11 and 6-12, and on the opposite side of the map) were low objects, simulating the cover provided by a low wall, and making a straight ascent a little more difficult with the adjacent difficult terrain.

The map art could show some equipment or downed 'combat dummies' to justify there being a low object squares, visually.

Also, some ideas for the bonus tile:
A roof to place over the center bunker, with light fortifications on either side.
The top roost for the tower emplacements (such as the one found in 11-4 to 14-7).
A pair of team flag tokens, perhaps a 2x2 version to show the flag in its normal place on the towers, and a 1x1 dropped version.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 pm 
General
General

Cool ideas. I'll give some extra thought to the low object suggestion; that seems like a particularly good change.

As for the bonus tile, someone on my forums made a great suggestion that I currently plan to implement using the back of the cover card: 3D terrain blocks to simulate the shifting floors. I can produce a fold-up box template with textures matching the floor. Players could then photocopy this onto cardstock and cut out and assemble as many blocks as they need, placing them on the map to create elevated floor sections for cover.

If I do this, there should be enough room left on the card to provide two flag tokens, which I agree would be a great asset in CTF-style gameplay.

If I don't do that with the back over the cover, the rooftop tile idea is a good alternative that I hadn't considered. Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions! :)