logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: SWM - Time to reflect on the state of the Game post GC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
I'd really liike to get the custom maps that have been made legal soon. Especially maps from Map Pack 3 and 4. There's about 4 maps between the 2 that could make it on the restricted list no problem.

While there are many maps that would likely be OK for the Restricted list, I would like to offer caution with just going willy nilly on it. I don't think adding anything more than 3-5 would be wise. We don't want to full-on double the size of the restricted list. Perhaps we could add more of the 'custom' maps to the Restricted List, but swapping out some of the current ones. Like perhaps take off Bespin in place of something else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:
I'd really liike to get the custom maps that have been made legal soon. Especially maps from Map Pack 3 and 4. There's about 4 maps between the 2 that could make it on the restricted list no problem.

While there are many maps that would likely be OK for the Restricted list, I would like to offer caution with just going willy nilly on it. I don't think adding anything more than 3-5 would be wise. We don't want to full-on double the size of the restricted list. Perhaps we could add more of the 'custom' maps to the Restricted List, but swapping out some of the current ones. Like perhaps take off Bespin in place of something else.

You said 3-5, I said 4.
No one is saying go "willy nilly" ;)

I think "swapping out" is a really great Idea actually! Let's face it, it's probably easier to get some custom maps right now then it is to get some of the older ofiicial maps.

I 'd love to swap out the rancor cave for something else.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

You said 3-5, I said 4.
No one is saying go "willy nilly" ;)

I think "swapping out" is a really great Idea actually! Let's face it, it's probably easier to get some custom maps right now then it is to get some of the older ofiicial maps.

I 'd love to swap out the rancor cave for something else.

I know, I was just reiterating the sentiment. But if there are 4 maps between Map Packs 3 and 4 alone, then that doesn't leave space for Map Packs 1 or 2, or for any of Mapmaker's maps, and not be more than 3-5 total. ;)

Here are the ones that I would recommend for scrutiny for the list. Obviously, I'm not recommending all of these, but these are the ones that I think rise to the top and should be the focus of review:

Theed Palace (JC MP 1)
Korriban (JC MP2)
Ancorhead (JC MP2)
Rhen Var (JC MP4)
Jabba's Throne Room (JC MP4)
Peacful City (AG7 MP4)
Offworld Shipping Center (Mapmaker)
Cargo Docks (Mapmaker)
Transport Facility (Mapmaker)

I think if we chose 3-5 of these (or potentially more by dropping 1-2 from the existing list) that it would add very nicely to the existing list.

If I had to vote for specific ones, it would likely be Theed Palace, Offworld Shipping Center and Cargo Docks right now. I'm not sure what a 4th or 5th vote would go to, but likely Peaceful City and either Rhen Var or Jabba's palace, but admittedly, I haven't played on some of those newer ones, so this is based purely off of reviewing the images online and playing through scenarios in my head.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

My big concern with maps from Map Pack 1 and 2 is the quality of the art. I'd really want to re-do some of those maps if they were put on the restricted list, although I know it doesn't matter so much.

Availabilty is a concern as well. not everyone will have a chance to get map pack 1 and 2.

That's not to say I can't re-release some of the maps in a limited run with updated art.

Honestly even if you could get 1 map from map pack 3 and 4 onto the list, it would do a world of good for me on a personal level. If I was going to add 4 and and only 4 maps:

Ag7's yavin map
Theed
Off world Shipping center
Rhen Var citadel

It's so hard because so many maps in map pack 4 could go on it, but in fairness to everyone making maps that's how I would do it.

What if maps cycled in and out of the restricted list on some sort of scheduled basis? I know it's complicated but what if we rotated the maps out every 6 months?

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
Ag7's yavin map

I really like this map as well, but it's really not a good one for the Restricted List, IMO. It's too open, with no good places to advance safely, such that most games end up being a shooting match, with neither player advancing into the gambit zone.

Jedicartographer wrote:
What if maps cycled in and out of the restricted list on some sort of scheduled basis? I know it's complicated but what if we rotated the maps out every 6 months?

I like this idea in general, but would recommend it on a 1 year cycle, rather than 6 months. If you did 6 months, then you'd have maps which might cycle on and then off the list without ever getting played at big events like GenCon/Regionals. Now, might be cool if the list changed on July 1st each year, so that the Restricted List for Regionals would differ slightly from that of Gencon. At least force people to make some minor adjustments to their squads and strategies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

If Korriban is the one I'm thinking of, I disagree with it being in Restricted. I would support if for a standard map however.

We play on that map quite a bit in a scenario we have and it seems pretty open. Most of the games occur in a very specific portion of the map, being the bottom edge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:27 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I personally don't see a problem adding as many maps that deserve to be on the list as there is. If that doubles the list, I don't see a problem with it. And while I don't personally like bespin, I don't see a problem with it and it certainly has made appearances and not dominated the meta. I think the map list for Gencon was perfect as a variety of maps saw play and were at the top tables throughout the day. HAven't really spent much time looking at the custom maps so don't have any particular opinions on any of them currently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

As I said in another thread, I've been playing on Peaceful City since May and I think it is a good candidate for the restricted list.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm 
General
General

urbanjedi wrote:
I personally don't see a problem adding as many maps that deserve to be on the list as there is. If that doubles the list, I don't see a problem with it.

+1

I'd love to see JediCartographer and Mapmaker and AG7 maps made legal. I'd also like to see a larger restricted list. I understand wanting to use balanced maps. But this year's list was too short and it gets boring playing on the same maps during a tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 am 
General
General

I would love to see some of the restricted maps removed and replaced with a few of the custom maps.

As far as the standard I don't see why all the custom maps that qualify can't be added even if it means doubling the list.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I played in the Mystery map tourney and had a blast. Running a DD and SSB 2.0 tourney late at night was also fun.

For next year:
Mystery map tourney
change the restricted and standard map list
common rules for mass battles
drop league (if we don't have the cases)
drop sealed (add V set sealed)
Change the Jedi Challenge to Iron Man format (200, 150 and 100 in the same day). This would be a Friday all day event. Start 9 am with 3 rounds of 200. Lunch. 2 pm start with 3 rounds of 150. Short smoke break for Bill. 6 pm start for 3 rounds of 100 (done by 8:30 pm so the guys can still go out Friday night).

If the Champs were to move from Gencon, it would still have to stay in the midwest (no further west than St Louis or east than Columbus). Folks from CA or WA will still have to fly either way. Origins is an option. Columbus, OH is a central location. I think moving the Champs from Gencon is a poor idea (less turn out and visibility).

Next year (I'm planning on attending Gencon), I will run some SSB 2.0, play some SWM and hopefully play some more WaS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Engineer wrote:
Change the Jedi Challenge to Iron Man format (200, 150 and 100 in the same day). This would be a Friday all day event. Start 9 am with 3 rounds of 200. Lunch. 2 pm start with 3 rounds of 150. Short smoke break for Bill. 6 pm start for 3 rounds of 100 (done by 8:30 pm so the guys can still go out Friday night).

I like this idea the most of all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

thereisnotry wrote:
Engineer wrote:

I would prefer Bill to stop smoking, but I'll settle on that for the following year. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

:lol:

...yeah, and no more cavity-searches at the border, please!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Engineer wrote:

I agree spreading them out that far made me lose interest. Getting them all done in one day would let me have more time for dealer hall stuff on thursday instead of having to skip events i want to play in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:02 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Weeks wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Engineer wrote:

I agree spreading them out that far made me lose interest. Getting them all done in one day would let me have more time for dealer hall stuff on thursday instead of having to skip events i want to play in.

I'm a fan of this, though I still like the overarching idea of the Jedi Challenge. As I have stated before though, I'd rather see DD and Tile Wars in the Jedi Challenge + something else. Then have the Iron Man on its own, but perhaps on Thursday to spread out the time requirment between it and the Champs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just for everybody's enlightenment, the Jedi Challenge has been spread across Thursday and Friday every year so far. It's just that this was the first year where two parts of it were on Friday. In the past, we'd done 150 on Thursday afternoon, and 200 on Thursday evening (I think), followed by the 100 on Friday morning. I think perhaps the 100 and 200 might've been switched one year though.

Being all on one day might be kind of cool, but it makes for another day of grueling gaming. Perhaps if you start the 150 at 9, run 4 rounds, and then the 200 at like 3pm, then the 100 point even could be done very quickly, starting at like 8 pm, and still be done by 10.

I think shortening the Jedi Challenge to only 3 rounds per tournament is not a good idea, unless the cost of the tournaments is reduced. Some people only play the 150 or 200 part of the Jedi Challenge, and not the whole thing. So, it's important to make sure that the individual tournaments are worthwhile on their own.

I do think that a reduction in time per round would help. Do something sort of similar to how the Team Tournament was run, where as soon as the pairings are posted, you have 60 minutes from that point to complete your games. That would knock a good 30 minutes out of every tourney probably.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LoboStele wrote:
Just for everybody's enlightenment, the Jedi Challenge has been spread across Thursday and Friday every year so far. It's just that this was the first year where two parts of it were on Friday. In the past, we'd done 150 on Thursday afternoon, and 200 on Thursday evening (I think), followed by the 100 on Friday morning. I think perhaps the 100 and 200 might've been switched one year though.

Being all on one day might be kind of cool, but it makes for another day of grueling gaming. Perhaps if you start the 150 at 9, run 4 rounds, and then the 200 at like 3pm, then the 100 point even could be done very quickly, starting at like 8 pm, and still be done by 10.

I think shortening the Jedi Challenge to only 3 rounds per tournament is not a good idea, unless the cost of the tournaments is reduced. Some people only play the 150 or 200 part of the Jedi Challenge, and not the whole thing. So, it's important to make sure that the individual tournaments are worthwhile on their own.

I do think that a reduction in time per round would help. Do something sort of similar to how the Team Tournament was run, where as soon as the pairings are posted, you have 60 minutes from that point to complete your games. That would knock a good 30 minutes out of every tourney probably.

I personally think we could run (officially) tournaments as follows:

200-60 minute rounds

150-45 minute rounds

100- 40 or even 30 minute rounds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

This post...

thereisnotry wrote:
...yeah, and no more cavity-searches at the border, please!

preceeded this one...

Weeks wrote:
I agree spreading them out that far made me lose interest.

I'm certainly glad Weeks didn't stop there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

To get back on point, I like Engineer's model of an Iron Man competition, playing them all in one day. If I play them all next year, this is a format I would support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next