logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: SWM - Time to reflect on the state of the Game post GC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Darth_Jim wrote:
This post...

thereisnotry wrote:
...yeah, and no more cavity-searches at the border, please!

preceeded this one...

Weeks wrote:
I agree spreading them out that far made me lose interest.

I'm certainly glad Weeks didn't stop there.

That's what she said!!!

Anyways, I like the Iron Man event. Say we did it all on Friday. The Team Tournament would have to get moved to Thursday night, with the Mystery Map on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon would be more open for people. The idea of playing 2 very long days of SWM in a row (All day Friday and all day Saturday) is a pretty big endeavor, but doing all 3 legs of the Jedi Challenge has always been that (something I've never actually done, either).

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:27 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Echo wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
This post...

thereisnotry wrote:
...yeah, and no more cavity-searches at the border, please!

preceeded this one...

Weeks wrote:
I agree spreading them out that far made me lose interest.

I'm certainly glad Weeks didn't stop there.

That's what she said!!!

Anyways, I like the Iron Man event. Say we did it all on Friday. The Team Tournament would have to get moved to Thursday night, with the Mystery Map on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon would be more open for people. The idea of playing 2 very long days of SWM in a row (All day Friday and all day Saturday) is a pretty big endeavor, but doing all 3 legs of the Jedi Challenge has always been that (something I've never actually done, either).

Yeah, that's what I wanted to steer away from by making the Jedi Challenge smaller events or playing Iron man on Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

MAke the JC events later in the day. Do one Thurs eveing (7 ish) and then do one Fri late afternoon and then the other one fri evening (3 ish and 7 ish)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:32 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
I like the Iron Man event. Say we did it all on Friday. The Team Tournament would have to get moved to Thursday night, with the Mystery Map on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon would be more open for people. The idea of playing 2 very long days of SWM in a row (All day Friday and all day Saturday) is a pretty big endeavor, but doing all 3 legs of the Jedi Challenge has always been that (something I've never actually done, either).

What if we did the Ironman on Thursday instead of Friday? Then Friday would be a much lighter day, with the Mystery Map and Team Tourney, and that would allow peoples' minds to rest before the big Championships on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Echo wrote:
I like the Iron Man event. Say we did it all on Friday. The Team Tournament would have to get moved to Thursday night, with the Mystery Map on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon would be more open for people. The idea of playing 2 very long days of SWM in a row (All day Friday and all day Saturday) is a pretty big endeavor, but doing all 3 legs of the Jedi Challenge has always been that (something I've never actually done, either).

What if we did the Ironman on Thursday instead of Friday? Then Friday would be a much lighter day, with the Mystery Map and Team Tourney, and that would allow peoples' minds to rest before the big Championships on Saturday.

That is a great idea, and I totally support it. The biggest thing that I see is that it gives some time for people to check out Gencon outside of the SWM area; one of the big reasons I have avoided doing the whole Jedi Challenge was because if you do all 3 legs along with the other big things I wanted to do ( Mystery Map, Team, and of course the Championship) the first real chance to see the dealer hall is Sunday. Having some time open Friday afternoon would be a very nice change.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Since the Iron Man idea was a hit with some, what about this total revamp of the champs.

The Champs are 4 rounds (32 players max) and then breaks to the top 8.

Any regional winner gets seated as one of the 32. During Gencon you can also qualify for the champs. The winner of the 200 point Iron Man and mystery map both get in (similar point format).

There will be a series of 8 person tourneys. As soon as 8 players are together, you play a small 3 round tourney. The winners of these with the best records will be invited to fill the remaining slots.

It's out there. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:44 am 
General
General

Engineer wrote:
Since the Iron Man idea was a hit with some, what about this total revamp of the champs.

The Champs are 4 rounds (32 players max) and then breaks to the top 8.

Any regional winner gets seated as one of the 32. During Gencon you can also qualify for the champs. The winner of the 200 point Iron Man and mystery map both get in (similar point format).

There will be a series of 8 person tourneys. As soon as 8 players are together, you play a small 3 round tourney. The winners of these with the best records will be invited to fill the remaining slots.

It's out there. Thoughts?

I don't know. I always liked the open for anyone and everyone to play. I personally wouldn't want to play 3 games just to make it in so I can play 4 more. I know the seven games still comes out about the same but Just to make top 8 your playing 7 games to the 4 for the auto includes from regionals.

I like the idea of Regional champs getting auto includes into champs without having to pay but I think it should be left so everyone still plays the same number of swiss rounds to get in top 8.

As far as the Iron Man I have a question is there any reason you can't play part of it on Wednesday? Like 100 on Wednesday 200 on Thursday and 150 on Friday. I have never played it and to be honest with you 9 games in one day would push me away from it. I know the con doesn't officially start until Thursday morning but I noticed that some of the Gen con events are started on Wednesday night.

The last 2 times I have been to Gencon I didn't play SWminis until friday night and or Saturday. But if we are talking more afternoon(6pm) to evening ish(8pm) starts I may look into more days of it.

One more question:(probably a stupid one but heh) The last booklet thing I got from Gen con showed only up to til this year for it to be in Indie, have they re-upped for continuing in Indie or are they going to move to another town?

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:45 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Its in Indy through at least 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There was a whole thread a couple months ago about alternate ideas for the Championship itself. Long story short, I feel like the current open Championship is our best set up, simply because we don't have enough numbers to dictate squeezing down to a smaller event. If we had like 100+ in the Championships this past year, then I could see doing qualifiers and an invitation only championship.

I would mostly likely vote for doing the Jedi Challenge all on one day, with the 150 in the morning, and limited to 45 minute rounds. That should get it done by about 1 pm. Take a 2 hour break so people can get lunch and such, and they would still have an hour or so as well to browse the dealer hall that afternoon. Then start the 200 point tourney at 3, with 60 minute rounds. This would allow the 100 point tourney to start at 8pm, and with 30 minute rounds, would be done by roughly 10:30 or 11 (or could push back to starting at 9 if need be, so people can get dinner). Yes, it's playing minis all day long, but honestly, most of us did that anyways. And we had much lower participation for the 100 point tournament anyways, so again, if people decided after the 150 and 200 that they didn't want to play the 100, then they'd have some freedom that evening to do something else.

Also could do it somewhat similar to prior years, where the 100 point event is done on Friday morning instead, and we do stuff like Tile Wars/Starships/DD on Thursday night to wind-down. Then you only have 1 "competitive" event on Friday, and it's first thing in the morning, and likely done before noon. Then people have all of the rest of Friday to go shopping, play in fun events, or whatever.

Several people have made mention of runinng the Champs as a 'cut to top 16 instead of 8' next year, and if that happens, then people would need to be prepared to lose more of their Sunday. So to balance that, we should definitely try to open up some other portion of the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I think Eric is on to something with the small 8 person tournaments. What if we do 4 or 8 person small tournaments that are on going than doing League. Think of it like single poker table tournaments. The only problem I see is room?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
There was a whole thread a couple months ago about alternate ideas for the Championship itself. Long story short, I feel like the current open Championship is our best set up, simply because we don't have enough numbers to dictate squeezing down to a smaller event. If we had like 100+ in the Championships this past year, then I could see doing qualifiers and an invitation only championship.

I agree with Lobo on this matter (and on most matters, actually!).

I think the Championship would lose its appeal if it were whittled down to only 32 participants. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but wouldn't that have made it one of this year's smallest SWM tournaments all weekend? If we're trying to narrow it down to only include the best players in the Championship, then look at the standings after 3 rounds: the top 32 players at that point will almost always be the best 32 players in the tournament (the 3-0s and the 2-1s). Therefore, I guess I just don't see any benefit to losing the "Open" aspect of the Championship. If people don't want to play the full 6/7 rounds, then they're welcome to (and often do) drop out, and spend the rest of the day doing whatever else they want.

If it ain't broke, don't let JarJar look at it. (and no, I'm not referring to you, Jonny! :))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 am 
General
General

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
Its in Indy through at least 2015.

Thanks

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6