logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: So the game got picked up?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

So ive been hearing from various people on here and irl that the game has been picked up. id like to know more about it if anyone can direct me to where I should look.

Is there a link? Can anyone at least tell me what company has bought it? Did the buy the Star Wars license or the rights to the actual game?

Thanks!

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

Post subject: Re: So the game got picked up?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I have been told it has been picked up but everyone is silent about the who. Maybe they will announce at Gencon who knows..... Maybe Celebration 5

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:57 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Just me guessing: Eventually it will be a heroclix game.

I'm sorry, I know no one wants to hear it, but I can't imagine any other company picking it up.

If it happens, cool. We can rip the pieces of the bases and restat them.

IN fact I almost hope that happens.I can make heroclix maps for that game, and regular maps for us.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:24 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I've never played Heroclix so I can't speak to how it would fit in that game, but I can say with certainty that if the game mechanics are changed I probably won't pick up a new game. I'll just be interested in playing with the minis I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to acquire over the last few months I've been in the game. I'm not interested in having all that collecting invalidated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I am expecting the same thing, JC, and I expect that it will be announced at C5. I can honestly say if it is a Clix game, I won't be playing or buying very much of it, if any. My house is already so innundated with SWM stuff I certainly do not need to duplicate my collection.

Regarding breaking figs off bases, I have a feeling that a new game system will also mean more reprints of stuff we already have, so really there won't be much point. Scaling is going to be an issue as well.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I am inclined to agree with Boris. Both about a lack of interest in starting another collectibe game, and also about the un-portability of sculpts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:04 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I have only just seen this thread, and am a little surprised by it. I though if the game had been pick up everyone would be talking about it. yet only a few posts.

If it is a heroclix game i might collect the odd figure. Yes we have a Luke and Han and so on but they might be be good for the odd custom figure for the V-Sets. Also there might be new characters as well from the Clone Wars Cartoon.
I agree with most that I would not buy into another game that has a new rule system. Still until we know more about who has pick it up lets all stay optimistic that they will just continue where WOTC left off as likely as it is you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Clix game, probably wont buy in.

Someone else releasing SWM, leaving judgement alone, but at this point, Im not even entirely sure Id buy into it.

Part of me hopes it gets continued, and the rest doesnt want to put any more money into it. Sad, I know.

Also, and this is to Dean in particular of the people who have already posted, I was hoping for something along the lines of "I saw it here" or "heard it from this person". Im trying to track it back to see if its got a reliable source. If you dont wanna share who you heard it from, thats fine, Im just looking for something more than "I saw it on Bloomilk, so it must be true" kind of answer, which seems to be all Ive gotten out of this at this point, here, there, and from the players in my playgroup.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Picked up?

Anything concrete yet?

I know Fantasy Flight Games have some big secret announcement for Gencon. They would probably do a decent game but if they did forget it being backward compatible in any way.

Personally I'd love to see Mongoose have a go at Star Wars.

As for Clix. Forget it. Not interested. I tried getting into Clix a few months back and it wasn't fo me. I won't buy a Star Wars Clix game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dreadtech wrote:
I have only just seen this thread, and am a little surprised by it. I though if the game had been pick up everyone would be talking about it. yet only a few posts.

Well, if we had any more info, or anything substantial other than a rumor that "someone said it got picked up" (even though I trust said rumor), then we might have more discussion. As it stands right now, there just really isn't anything to talk about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The fact that it hasn't been picked up isn't surprising. I've heard rumors as to who, but in order to respect both the source and the tentative nature of the rumor, there is really nothing to discuss. I will patiently await any announement, but I have a feeling, anything but a direct continuation will not grab my interest. As soon as I complete my collection, I will be turning toward a new game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Guys, what we know is the the SWs License has been purchased by someone, in that it is no longer available for someone else to purchase it. We do not know who bought it, or when they will announce it, or if they will make a minis game, new or using WotC's rules or not.

All we know is that someone has the license that WotC formerly held.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I might split early from the "Mystery Map" Tourney in order to catch this Semenar:

Game ID: SEM1013330
Gaming Group/Company: GMSarli Games
Title: Star Wars Saga Edition Retrospective
Description: Game professionals who worked on the Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition take a look back at the product line, sharing their experiences and what they learned from their work.
Event Type: SEM - Seminar
Game System:
Rules Edition:
Minimum Number of Players: 1
Maximum Number of Players: 50
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (never played before)
Are materials provided?: No, materials are not provided for this game. You must bring your own.
Start Date & Time: 08/05/2010 02:00:00 PM
Duration: 2 hours
GM name(s): Gary Sarli

I know the game's dead, but I'd like to hear what the panel has to say. :|
. . . And who knows they might drop who has picked up the minis game, or at least give us a clue; a hint, if you will as to who has it. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so let me be a bit more open then.

Someone of substantial means and prior working relationship with Lucas made an inquiry into getting the license for the miniatures. This person was speaking to me as if he did manage to get the license wanted my help moving the game forward.

Lucas replied to him when he made the inquiry and the reply stated that another company has purchased the license. This doesnt mean this company will ever produce a game. It means they purchased the license.

I then had this backed up when someone who owns a rather large store and deals with all sorts of gaming companies told me he had heard at one of the conventions that a company (which he refused to share with me) had picked up the game.

So all indications are that someone has picked up the license. The reason I am not making a big deal about this or getting excited?

1. Because I have iinvested in this game.

2. No one out there is making an announcement

3. Even if there is a new game mechanic that is good I dont really want to start all over with Luke, Han and Vader..... I am at the point I want the EU stuff

4. If there is a new company I would think it would be wise to at some point contact us...... WE ARE THE TARGET CUSTOMERS!!!!! Find out what we as consumers want and will purchase. Doesnt mean they have to listen but it would not hurt either.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 pm 
General
General

Why would anyone take the license, without intending to quickly get a game out? That license costs money whether or not it is used, no point in just holding it.

And no matter what game is produced, a new miniatures games can only be a good thing. I'm thinking solely as a source of new miniatures, so long as the scale is close enough. It's a boon for creating V-sets, even if they start with all the main characters again. The sculpts would be different regardless, and you never know what we might get. Maybe a common Dewback/AT-RT/Speeder Bike sculpt to make those easier to acquire? Maybe more Season 3 Clone Wars material? Maybe other EU content we don't already have?

A smart game designer is going to want to fill the game with a mix of both the main characters, plus things that have never before been done in SWM. They have access to our "want lists", and they're going to want to appeal to existing customers. I'd be amazed at the stupidity if we got a repeat of Rebel Storm's set-list as a first set.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wedge772 wrote:
Why would anyone take the license, without intending to quickly get a game out? That license costs money whether or not it is used, no point in just holding it.

Very true.

Quote:
And no matter what game is produced, a new miniatures games can only be a good thing.

It's a difficult market to break in to. So I would suspect the licence would have to be picked up by a decent size company with gaming experience. And that experience should tell them that existing players are resistant to change following our investment in this game. And Star Wars isn't the licence to print money it was 10 years ago, too much competition. I wonder if the licence is for minis/RPG or both?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:55 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah, unless it's a direct continuation using the gameplay and ruleset that we have, I most likely won't be interested. I've spent $5000+ on this game so far, and I'm not about to do the same for another totally different monster. It's either more SWM as we know it (and love it!) or it's not for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:47 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Thanks, Bill and Dean, for giving a more direct answer. This is more along the lines of something I would have expected. I was thinking the likelyhood of the license being bought was, oh, about 100%, while the game specifically being someplace around 20-30%, as it wouldnt just involve having to deal with lucas, but also for the new company to get the rights to the game from wotc, something I would imagine they would want a competitor( in the gaming industry, not in the minis field specifically) to pay through the nose for.

While I would love to see another minis game made, even though I might not buy in, if it isnt a direct continuation off this game, I dont see it lasting as long as even this one before it goes under. As people have said, we are the target audience, and if half of us arent interested cause of the huge investment into this game, then your not going to have a very large customer base.

Ugavine: Dont forget card games, too.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ugavine wrote:
Wedge772 wrote:

Very true.

It's actually not all that unusual for a company to snatch up a license, strictly for the purpose of denying any other companies of getting the license. In the case of SWM, I'm sure the license is fairly expensive, so it probably doesn't make much sense, but it could be a possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 am 

LoboStele wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
Wedge772 wrote:

Very true.

It's actually not all that unusual for a company to snatch up a license, strictly for the purpose of denying any other companies of getting the license. In the case of SWM, I'm sure the license is fairly expensive, so it probably doesn't make much sense, but it could be a possibility.

Actually, that's exactly what happened when WotC bought it. They ended up making a game (the TCG and it's offshoots and later SWMs), but the original purpose to having the license was to eliminate their largest competitor for MTG.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29