logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Trading... (not an offer, just a rant)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'll admit that I'm someone who if I get a trade offer that I'm not interested there's a good chance I just won't respond. Really, I should at least tell the other person 'no' so that they aren't left hanging.

But on the other side of that I recently tried to trade with someone who was sort of the opposite. Their replies managed to be more annoying than being left hanging. The first trade offer I sent was for several VRs. I offered a decent list of VRs and Rs, plus an invitation to add whatever Cs and UCs they might be interested in from my trade list. Their response was simply that the most sought after VR on the list was no longer available and they had to update their trade list. So I waited a day, looked at their trade list again, saw the VR was removed and figured that they had updated their list.

So I sent another offer for the remaining two. I'll admit that in retrospect the offer wasn't as good as I was thinking when I sent it. What I offered was probably worth the more valuable of the two VRs only, but the remaining VR was, I would say, middle-low in the VR spectrum. But the response I got was pretty much insulting with no accompanying counter proposal. This is with a long list 'wanted' figures not even included in the proposal, including additional R/VRs.

I dunno, I was just annoyed. Two responses with zero counter proposals and an insult on top of it. I guess I won't bother with a third proposal then. I guess I at least wasn't left hanging?

What's your worst non-scam trading experience?

BTW, my worst would be having a trade where one of the figures turned out to be 'custom painted (poorly)' and missing the card as well. I stopped taking trade offers from that person. I guess it was at least borderline scammy.

Last edited by eMouse on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trading... (not an offer, just a rant)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well some people just don't like to spend a lot of time with trading. Me personally, I don't do a lot of online trading, because it just takes a lot of time. So, some people might have sort of a 'short leash' when it comes to dealing with other people. If they aren't friendly, or don't seem like making a deal, then they probably aren't really that interested in doing a trade. Just let it go and move on. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I agree with Lobo, that if the other person is being a pain to deal with, or rude, it is better to just take a pass and look elsewhere. It sometimes means you have to wait a while before you find the piece you're after up for trade again, but that's better than getting aggravated. I've had a few trade discussions like that, and I'm not going there any more.

As to the matter of not responding to weak or bad offers - I always reply with at least a "no thanks", and sometimes a counter proposal. It sucks to be left hanging, and I don't like making multiple offers with the same piece all at once. Sometimes I'll include a time limit in my offer, after which I will begin offering the piece to others. That takes care of the really slow responders and those who are online infrequently.

My 2 cents. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Ive only done one trade on gamers, but had a good number on wotc. Other than being scammed by a very reputable trader, who i dont think frequents these boards though i dont remember the name entirely, I have had a pretty easy going online trading career.

Most annoying thing for me, I think is the fact that some people feel they have a right to a fig of yours, just cause you are in trade negotiations. I know, I know, common courtesy, but when your buying a car or a house, multiple people can make offers all at the same time. First offer to be accepted is the winner. Its my piece until I agree to trade with you, and you have no right to it at all before then. Being in negotiations does not mean I accepted your offer.

I try not to offer with one person while currently negotiating with another person on the same piece, but I still dont like it.

I try to respond in a timely manner when receiving a pm about pieces, though I have neglected one for a couple days now (sbb, if you see this, Im sorry lol).

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

you know I used to be one of the most active traders on Wizos back in the day. I was in the top ten and had over 130 gtls.

I found that it is difficult to find people who are reasonable in trading at times. Lately I only trade with people I know and that is about it. I mean if someone made an offer I would probably trade with them but it does take a lot of time.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Not had a trade here but have 30+ on WOTC and about 7 on Bloo Milk. My two big complaints are 1. when someone PM's me to offer a trade, i repond to them agreeing to the trade and they then never get back to me. 2. is when someone offers me a trade and after a few PM's suddenly say they will not trade with me because i live in England dispite the fact that i mention this on my trade thread.