logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Musings on Map Pack 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:05 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Here’s what I can tell you about Map Pack 5.

1. It won’t be out until at least spring, but before Gencon 2011

2. 2 maps will be maps from the masters series

3. Most importantly, half of it’s going to be an epic map like Mos Eisley, but this one is going to have some fundamental differences: (A) It’s only going to have one configuration. (B) It’s going to be a hybrid world based on Coruscant, Bespin, Taris, and Citadel Station from KOTOR. (C) It’s going to be one Giant map, as opposed to 4 separate connecting maps. Related to Point (A)

Mos Eisley Meltdown, has been a huge success. I mean, life changing successful. Its still selling great, even after almost a year. I think the appeal is the epic aspect of the map. I think it really appeals to the other side of the game, the casual fun aspect. It really draws a crowd at conventions I’ve been to, and it seems to get people interested in the game. So I think creating another Epic map is a smart choice.

I’ve really immersed myself in heroclix maps, but honestly they are much easier to make then Star Wars maps, and with my software upgrade, it’s cut down my map making time by a fraction of what it was. So it takes me about 10 man hours to make a heroclix map. This gives me a lot of time to work on another Star Wars map. Steve at miniature market has already told me, and I quote “Anything you create I'll carry. That is our deal and I'll stick to it.”

So, that’s where I’m at now. Map pack 5 is officially a major thought stuck in my head. I was really hoping to get the community involved as much as possible in the planning as possible, especially when it comes to the layout of the giant map. So what I’d like to do is posts updates and have everyone kind of help out, give input, advice and so forth.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject: Re: Musings on Map Pack 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:41 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That is exciting news, I love the Mos Eisley maps and mine get a ton of RP play and some scenario play, I would be all for another giant map. To go with that and Freight Station.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Doing a single huge map that only has 1 configuration could be cool, but I think you'll definitely lose a lot of the appeal that the Mos Eisley Meltdown and Mapmaker's Mass Transit maps have, in that you can combine them any way you want.

Honestly, at this point, we're getting to where we really have plenty of maps from a competitive stand-point, and we're looking at probably doubling (at least) the number of maps on the Restricted list by GenCon 2011, so if you really want to do a large set of maps like this, you probably don't have to worry too much about each map being individually 'competitive'. Both you and Chris have made it a good point to do your current maps in such a way that can work for all sorts of role-playing gamers as well, so that you have a good broad audience.

So, I would say go for it. Perhaps keep in mind some way for the maps to be used in more than one configuration, but I can understand if you don't want to focus on that. Definitely don't sweat how competitive each map is though. That's what the 'Master's Series' maps on the reverse side will be for. :)

And shameless plug.....please let Rishi Outpost be one of the Master's Series map in this pack! 8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

what are you talking about when you say 2 from masters series?

Tell me that is also including Thefyrian Spaceport

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:52 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Dean and aaron, Lol yes the 2 maps I am referring to are Thyferria and Rishi outpost.

I will look into making the epic map versatile as well. In the next few weeks I'll try to post some stuff.

Next to Dean and Aaron's map, maybe the other 2 map can be mystery maps again for next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:09 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Id like to see a map of a large complex of sorts, lots of hallways and rooms, which could be used for rpg purposes, for a party sneaking into a building, etc. If it could connect to another map to form a larger one would make it all the more awesome, but one would be satisfactory if thats all I could get.

if youve played the original Star Craft, im thinking of something along the lines of the Jacobson Installation (or whatever it was called). One of the earlier Terran missions.

Good luck!

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, that might be something to think about, Matt. Do some research with the RPG community to see what sort of facilities they still need represented. Granted, everyone is going to have different opinions on what the layout of those facilities should look like for their particular campaigns, but as Distrubed1 was pointing out, we could probably use some more maps of this nature. Stuff like the Endor Bunker map from the Attack on Endor kit are good for RPG scenarios.

But, you might ping the folks in the WOTC RPG section too and see if there are any particular types of generic layouts that people could use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 am 
General
General

I wouldn't mind seeing a hive like map to represent some of the insect species homeworlds.

Ithor would be cool either on the planet itself or one of the floating cities. Something that would be really cool would be a perfect planet look melding into the vong planet terraform look. This would be cool on the epic scale.

Space ship construction yards and or Centerpoint station would be awesome.

I have to wait a couple more days before I can order your recent maps and I can't wait.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:47 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Gurneywars wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a hive like map to represent some of the insect species homeworlds.

Mapmaker's Forsaken Lands II serves that purpose. I suggest taking a look at that thread. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Disturbed1 wrote:
Id like to see a map of a large complex of sorts, lots of hallways and rooms, which could be used for rpg purposes, for a party sneaking into a building, etc. If it could connect to another map to form a larger one would make it all the more awesome, but one would be satisfactory if thats all I could get.

if youve played the original Star Craft, im thinking of something along the lines of the Jacobson Installation (or whatever it was called). One of the earlier Terran missions.

Good luck!

Wow, did you not see the Jabba's Palace map we made in MP4? It's exactly what you are asking for.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

billiv15 wrote:
Wow, did you not see the Jabba's Palace map we made in MP4? It's exactly what you are asking for.

Eh, I could use it if I had to make due for that, but that has the distinct 'feel', at least to me, of something more along the lines of a bounty hunter lair(as it should), opposed to I was meaning something along the lines of a military installation, etc.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Disturbed1 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Eh, I could use it if I had to make due for that, but that has the distinct 'feel', at least to me, of something more along the lines of a bounty hunter lair(as it should), opposed to I was meaning something along the lines of a military installation, etc.

I get what your saying, I think That's a good idea. I think once you see the designs for "ecunopolis" It may be right up your alley. I think the royal palace in the new map pack may come in handy, and actually both of the mystery maps are along that vein as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

IN the mean time, Josh and I are on the talks to re-release some maps:

Theed(with updated art, same exact floor plan)
Cpreksta's Ewok Village
Smugglers base
Jedi Temple
and 2 other maps, probably older maps,probably from Map Pack 1. Heh, maybe Mandalorian Camp 3.0!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You are a tease Matt :obi:
And I look foreward to them :maul:

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedicartographer wrote:

Cpreksta's Ewok Village
Smugglers base
Jedi Temple
and 2 other maps, probably older maps,probably from Map Pack 1. Heh, maybe Mandalorian Camp 3.0!

I'd be 100% up for that...especially Theed and Smuggler's Base!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

thereisnotry wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

Cpreksta's Ewok Village
Smugglers base
Jedi Temple

I'd be 100% up for that...especially Theed and Smuggler's Base!

we may release them one double-sided map at a time, Like Mapmaker does. It also depends on wht from map apck 1 gets put on the restricted list. Any map that gets put on the restricted list, I'd like to re-release.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Oh how nice the outpost from Rookies, that is one of my favorite locations and it's hard to really make it fit on one map without losing a lot of the flavor, trust me I tried multiple variants on the idea and was never really satisfied with it but didn't hate either however.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:36 am 
General
General

I think everyone must just love that Rookies episode of Clone Wars. I've got a version of it, too. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:30 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Aaron and Josh have a really nice layout. Aaron did 99% of it, and Josh I think tweaked it, If i remember correctly.

I think Josh has an uncanny talent for fitting a lot onto a map and making it work. He can take an imaginary area, which if you think about on a standard map is like 120 Feet by 200 feet, and making it look like it's a city, or a vast temple, or a really epic battle station.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:31 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Jedicartographer wrote:
3. Most importantly, half of it’s going to be an epic map like Mos Eisley, but this one is going to have some fundamental differences: (A) It’s only going to have one configuration. (B) It’s going to be a hybrid world based on Coruscant, Bespin, Taris, and Citadel Station from KOTOR. (C) It’s going to be one Giant map, as opposed to 4 separate connecting maps. Related to Point (A)

Mos Eisley Meltdown, has been a huge success. I mean, life changing successful. Its still selling great, even after almost a year. I think the appeal is the epic aspect of the map. I think it really appeals to the other side of the game, the casual fun aspect. It really draws a crowd at conventions I’ve been to, and it seems to get people interested in the game. So I think creating another Epic map is a smart choice.

Hi! Have you considered a big starship map? Something similar to Mapmker's recent starship map, only much bigger? A 4 section map where each map has sides that are "framed" by space, and combined, like Mos Eisley Meltdown, would show a bird's eye view of the shape of a much larger vessel cruising along? That could certainly look epic and be an eye catcher sitting altogether on a large table at a convention or store. That sounds like what you're looking for. And I'd just personally love to see a map of such a big ship. :D