logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New: Deep Caverns map!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:54 pm 
General
General

Hey folks!

I'm trying to crank out another poster in time for Gen Con: this time, a sequel to my Forsaken Lands poster! With time growing short, I'm skipping the part where I show you little bits of the map at a time, and just show you the whole thing:

It may interest you to note that this map was designed to line up with three other existing posters: Swamp Caves (on the right), the Crystal Caves of Illum (on the bottom) and the Rancor Pit (on the top). Feedback is welcome! I realize that this is not going to be a keenly balanced map for tournament play (and wasn't strictly meant for such), but if you see any very minor adjustments that might help in that regard, there's a small window of opportunity for me to make adjustments while I finish up the map for the reverse side. (An arid badland reminiscent of Geonosis...)

Post subject: Re: New: Deep Caverns map!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:21 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I can't wait to pick this up.

Looks awesome. Is that Drow map going to be on the flip side?

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:48 am 
General
General

No; I have about 6 drow-themed maps finished that I plan to publish with an adventure someday, but they won't be on this map. The back of this one is a dusty arid badlands with sandstone caves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:57 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Gorgeous artwork as always. You're right that it's not really balanced for skirmish play, as the right side has a huge advantage. However, you could use it for scenarios, like where some Republic Commandos have to survive X number of rounds against a swarm of Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids. Anything like that could be cool. Oh, and it'll be DYNAMITE for the RPG! I like it that it can connect to those other maps, too. Great job!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:44 pm 
General
General

Thanks, thereisnotry!

I find it interesting that you feel the right side has the advantage here. I feel that left-side shooters have a better vantage point to snipe on gambit than the right, therefore forcing right to cross over to engage left and take a bit of a beating in the process. Meanwhile, the left side can get into gambit with a bit more protection against right-side shooters once they get there.

If I was to field a melee squad, I'd prefer the left and make a dash for gambit, then use the narrow tunnels to force close-range engagement. If I was to field a ranged squad, I'd likewise prefer the left for better lines of fire on enemies trying to collect gambit.

But I might be backwards about that; I've never been the best in actual gameplay. :)

Incidentally, this is a map where I really would like to add a new terrain type: the spray from the waterfalls should block line of sight (or add a concealment modifier), but allow movement. That would, I think, give the map more balance with regards to shooter squads.

In any case, I'm really glad you like it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:02 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Gorgious art as always. I'll run some scenarios with rakghouls on this one for sure

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Mapmaker wrote:
Thanks, thereisnotry!

I find it interesting that you feel the right side has the advantage here. I feel that left-side shooters have a better vantage point to snipe on gambit than the right, therefore forcing right to cross over to engage left and take a bit of a beating in the process. Meanwhile, the left side can get into gambit with a bit more protection against right-side shooters once they get there.

If I was to field a melee squad, I'd prefer the left and make a dash for gambit, then use the narrow tunnels to force close-range engagement. If I was to field a ranged squad, I'd likewise prefer the left for better lines of fire on enemies trying to collect gambit.

But I might be backwards about that; I've never been the best in actual gameplay. :)

You might have a point there; since I've not yet played on the map (obviously), that could be true. However, the reason I think the right side is the one with the advantage is because they can bottleneck the approach of the opponent coming from the left side. They can set up their shooters in the tunnels and pepper away at anything that advances toward the center. And even more effective, they can place diplomats (Caamasis, Rodians) or even strong melee tanks in the tunnels right in front of a powerful/fragile shooter, and then the opponent have a difficult time trying to engage effectively...so even if the left player makes the dash for gambit, he still won't be able to engage, because he's been bottlenecked by diplomats or strong melee tanks. Anyway, this is all conjecture at this point; I can't wait to play on the map.

From an artistic and creative standpoint, I really like how you've built elevation into the map, with the various waterfalls and terrain elements. I think this might be one of the most attractrive maps you've made yet! Thanks again for sharing your work with us. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Looks fantastic!

Are you planning on having this one done on Kickstarter as well?

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am 
General
General

Thanks!

Yes I am doing a Kickstarter pre-order for this one, in fact. The page for it should go up later today; I'm still recovering from an all-nighter to get the other side done last night. :)

This pre-order will be a shorter duration, with a lower goal and the option available for backers attending Gen Con to pick up their maps on site, if they wish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

And the Grand Moff Boris special, like last year? :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:55 am 
General
General

Boris, I'll probably be doing a special like that at Gen Con, but I haven't had time to plan the details yet. Ask me at the show! :)