logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Any players in London? + SWM Sophie's Choice!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:54 am 
General
General

Next week I'm moving half-way across the planet to London. Now, I assume there's an active SWM scene there, right? Who here is in London, and where do people play? I'm used to regular SWM tournaments here in Malaysia, there better damned well be regular tournaments to play in over there. I see there was a large turn-out at the French Nationals, I don't want to have to cross the channel for a game of SWM :P

And now, Sophie's Choice!

I obviously can't take my entire SWM collection with me. Most of like, like the Huges, will stay behind in Malaysia, and I'll figure out where to keep it all later (I'm thinking about getting it all shipped back to Australia...).

So, the question is, if you guys were in my shoes, and you could only fit in a small box of minis into your luggage, what minis would make the list? Preferably minis which allow me the most squad building versatility. Think of it almost as the "essential competitive SWM toolbox". Discuss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I agree with fool take your R/VR with you. You know most SWM players are a friendly bunch and an sure they will lend you C/UC for the night if you find a group to join
Best of luck with your traveling and move. Welcome to the UK when you get here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:34 pm 
General
General

Well, even taking all the R/VRs is alot, I have complete sets of everything... I don't think figures like CS Anakin and Dash Rendar really need to come along just now though :)

dreadtech: Where in the UK are you? Not London area I take it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wedge772 wrote:
Well, even taking all the R/VRs is alot, I have complete sets of everything... I don't think figures like CS Anakin and Dash Rendar really need to come along just now though :)

dreadtech: Where in the UK are you? Not London area I take it?

No unfortunately not. I live in Stourbridge. Which is in the West Midlands about 10 miles away from Birmingham. About 150 miles from central London. ( about a 4 hour drive away ) You will find traveling anywhere in the UK has traffic congestion which adds a lot of time to journeys.

If you go on WOTC site there is a thread about UK players you mite find some in London in that thread.

Anyway best of luck finding a group to join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Well I can't help you out with play locations in London, but I do have some thoughts on paring down your collection for your move.

As your main interest is in competitive play, I would suggest only bringing along key pieces from the Imperial, Republic and Fringe Factions. From this starting point, it easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. First, no Huge characters are competitively playable, and they are big so leave them. Second, most Unique Jedi are no longer competitive, so unless they are really good (CS Windu or Yoda) or they have a unique special ability that can be exploited there is no point in bringing them. Third any piece that you have never used more than twice or you've never seen anyone else use effectively I don't see the point in bringing along.

Lastly, if you could send the rest of your collection to someone you trust to look after it for you and they know the peices they could send you anything you feel you can't live without later. It should be fairly easy for anyone to figure out the pieces anyway as they are all clearly labeled on the bases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:48 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Oh man, tough decisions lay ahead of you. I would leave the huges behind for now simply because they're pretty bulky, unless you want to make room for a Snowspeeder. If you're going to be buying some Force Unleashed boosters while you're in England, you might want to bring a Snowspeeder or some Hoth stuff. I'm all about the themes... :)

But in terms of what to bring, I would bring enough to fill a couple of lightside and darkside squads. Make your favourite pieces your priority. I'd probably bring Rebel and Imperial figures along for the first leg. Like Rebel Storm almost, except with key pieces of your choosing. Plus some Fringe. Plus, the upcoming set will provide the most support for those factions first.

It won't be difficult to bring a couple of NR pieces too, if you want to have some variety.

I have full sets of everything that's been released as well, so if I were moving I'd have the same dilemma. I might bring some Republic Jedi as well. I know they're not the most competitive but they do have some of my favourite characters...

Are you going to be staying there a while? Are you eventually going to have the rest of your collection follow you to London?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 am 
General
General

I'll be there for at least 6 months I think, probably longer (as in a couple of years if all goes to plan). Once things are more established then I'll look at bringing the rest over, Huges and all.

I worked out the figures to bring today, in the end I caved in and filled up a second box of minis. I couldn't help it. With the second box I was able to fit in quite a bit to fill out alot of squads. Of course, totally ignoring Mandalorians, Old Republic, most Separatists...

No Huges are coming, no way those would fit. Not even bothering with a Snowspeeder. Even the Larges are a pain. I just *had* to bring Luke's Landspeeder, but fitting in some Darktroopers took up some space. After playtesting with Kazdan over the weekend, I just had to have the Darktroopers though, in case I manage to get hold of him. I also had to fit in a couple of Dark Hellion Swoops; I figure all I needed to add was 2 Swoops and Exar and that's another whole playable squad.

Not sure if I'll get any Force Unleashed in England, it's a fair bit more expensive than I'm used to buying from my LGS here, but I might just bite the bullet and pick some up over there. Might look into any online sellers, see what deals I can get.

Here's hoping I can fit everything into my luggage though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:47 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Sad to see you're leaving Wedge aka Matt .... my advice .. don't forget to evade when you're being shot there hehe... The sad thing now that I'm gonna loose my best SPARRING buddy for a while? or maybe forever? Anyhow our LGS gonna miss you as our best player then. Well all I can wish you is LUCK. You gonna need that badly man. :D

As for your new LGS, hope you find one and settle down fast :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:46 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

It's funny how even just a couple of squads worth of minis add up in terms of space. Huges take up a lot of space, no matter how you pack them. They take up enormous amounts of space in just my regular storage at home.

I'd be wary of buying FU stuff over in England too. Paying in pounds hurt, but I'd still try to see what I could find.

Good luck fitting everything in. There's always your carry on if you can't fit it in your luggage. Just make sure it's small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:22 pm 
General
General

Abiwan wrote:
Sad to see you're leaving Wedge aka Matt .... my advice .. don't forget to evade when you're being shot there hehe... The sad thing now that I'm gonna loose my best SPARRING buddy for a while? or maybe forever? Anyhow our LGS gonna miss you as our best player then. Well all I can wish you is LUCK. You gonna need that badly man. :D

As for your new LGS, hope you find one and settle down fast :P

You've still got Peter, Ong, Alvin and the kids to Disintegrate on a regular basis :) I'm sure I'll drop by Malaysia at some time in the future, I'll give you a buzz whenever that is.

Jughead: It's been my experience that you can really abuse the overhead compartments :) If flying short haul I don't even check any luggage, just carry it all onboard.

There was one time I managed to carry a small wooden chest filled with books onto the plane and into the overhead compartments... it weighed a TON, just had to pretend it was pretty lightweight 8)