logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:58 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Missed a couple of key words in the update. ( with -no- faction restrictions).

Updated/edited 5-1-2012 with new rules for Jar Jar interactions and the word -no- before faction restrictions.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Game ID: NMN1230208
Gaming Group
/ Company: SWM Gamers
Title: Star Wars Miniatures Team Tournament: Royal Rumble
Short Description: Form a team of 3 and be ready to face off in the most chaotic battle. Each player will come with three two-man teams and each player will have one team in play in the Rattatak Arena map
Long Description: For this year's Team Tournament, we will be putting all players on one map at the same time. Using the rules from the Royal Rumble custom game, each player will need to bring 3 different 2-man squads equaling up to, but not exactly, 100 points, and faction rules do not apply. Players will roll off and then start deciding which of their teams will start the battle. Once a player has had their first team defeated, they may choose another team to come into play. So bring on your Dream Teams of duos and unleash them on the opposition!
Event Type: NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System: Star Wars Miniatures
Rules Edition: 2012 SWMPGA Floor
Minimum
Number of Players: 6
Maximum
Number of Players: 24
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (You've never played before)
Materials Provided: No, materials are not provided for this game. You must bring your own.
Start Date & Time: Saturday at 8:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
Location: ICC : Hall C : Blue : 8--13
GM(s): Ray Becker
Web Address
for more information: swmgamers.com
Email Address
for more information: dvader831@gmail.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost: $14.00


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Stay tuned for clarification on how this will be run. It's gonna be a blast!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
TimmerB123 wrote:
Stay tuned for clarification on how this will be run. It's gonna be a blast!!!


I believe the word chaotic was used. Starting areas will be interesting...will there be four teams per map and one team per door? Or are we going to have to find a 5th and 6th starting area?

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Stay tuned for clarification on how this will be run. It's gonna be a blast!!!


I believe the word chaotic was used. Starting areas will be interesting...will there be four teams per map and one team per door? Or are we going to have to find a 5th and 6th starting area?


TimmerB123 wrote:
Stay tuned


:)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Bump for now,

Update For gen con should be coming soon.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Final details are being hammered out - but here's what to expect for sure:

- A fun competitive tournament
- The Royal Rumble format with an exciting new twist
- A team aspect where you have accumulative points, and a winning team of 3 players

This tournament will run in the typical 4 hour slot, but be aware that it will start AFTER TILE WARS finishes. Due to a scheduling snaffu, there was a slight overlap between the two. Anyone playing in TILE WARS (and I hope everyone does) can also play in this.

This is the only official TEAM tournament at GenCon this year - so let the trash talking begin!

Get your 3 player teams together and start making squads.
Each player must have three pairs of characters, each pair equal to or less than 100pts.
NO FACTION RESTRICTIONS!!! Mix and match as you see fit.

I will reveal this - the "unique" rule will apply to all teammates squads.
Each team will have 18 figures total. 3 sets of two x 3 players. No "counts as the same character" duplicates among all 18 figures.
So - in other words, let's say Team One has players A, B and C. If player A has Luke Skywalker Champion of the Force on one squad, no other squad on Team One may contain a Luke of any kind. No Luke's Landspeeder, no Luke Skywalker Jedi Master, not even Luke Farmboy may be played by either player B or C, or be in another squad on player A's team.

This will create a lot of fun diversity in the squads we see.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
TimmerB123 wrote:
This is the only official TEAM tournament at GenCon this year - so let the trash talking begin!



So who's gonna step up and challenge to win the Team Tournament this year?

Atlanta? I'm calling you out. You don't have what it takes for this tournament. You might as well sit this one out.

So who does have what it takes?

Mike G? You gonna get some of your IN boys together to make a run?

How about up there in MI? Jason, Eric, Lou, Scott, Will? Who has the balls to take this one on?

How about the Northeast? Maybe Darth Jim can gather the forces to make a stand.

What about mighty MO? Can an uggie crew do what it takes? Or maybe Ben J can gather some adopties to tackle the challenge. Rueben - you up for it?

Any representatives from the west? Who's commin to GenCon to show us that the West is Best?


We welcome all challengers!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Without any further ado, this is how the royal rumble team tournament will be run at gen con 2012.

We play multiple REGULAR Royal Rumble games (ie - with only 3 or 4 players per the board, each with only 1 duo on the board at a time), but you have other "teammates" that are playing on other boards with their own sets of 3 duos. We keep track of all scores and add the teammates scores together. Do a rotation then repeat.

2 rounds, 1hr45min time limit on each round. Winning team has the highest combined score at the end.

Simple - but fun.

Also, for an extra challenge, The "unique" rule will go across all teammates squads as well. In other words,

Makes for more combos to be seen. I think it will be a ton of fun this way.

Overall it will play slightly like team tournaments of the past, but obviously in Royal Rumble format instead. It will have a similar feel in that you won't ever be on the same map as your teammates, but what they do will affect how you do as a team.

So go find your teammates, prepare your squads, and...

LET'S GET READY TO RUUUMMBLLEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Bump again

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3599
Location: New Jersey
Thanks for posting this; I don't know how I missed it when I read the thread earlier today. :oops:

For clarification: Which version of "The Unique Rule" are we using? I've seen it have both of these meanings in the past:
1. Only one version of any character can be played in the entire Team (ie, if Player A uses Boba Mercenary then Players B and C on his team cannot use any Boba).
2. No single unique piece can be used more than once per Team, but different versions of that piece can be used (ie, Player A uses Boba Mercenary, Player B uses Boba BH, and Player C uses Mando Boba)


And if I'm understanding correctly, the way the team pairings will work is that, unlike the last 3 years when two Teams have been paired against each other, it looks like this time three or four teams will be paired against each other. Is that accurate? It sounds like whole pile of fun!

_________________
"Don't give the tool more credit than the master." --Weeks
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
thereisnotry wrote:
Thanks for posting this; I don't know how I missed it when I read the thread earlier today. :oops:

For clarification: Which version of "The Unique Rule" are we using? I've seen it have both of these meanings in the past:
1. Only one version of any character can be played in the entire Team (ie, if Player A uses Boba Mercenary then Players B and C on his team cannot use any Boba).
2. No single unique piece can be used more than once per Team, but different versions of that piece can be used (ie, Player A uses Boba Mercenary, Player B uses Boba BH, and Player C uses Mando Boba)


And if I'm understanding correctly, the way the team pairings will work is that, unlike the last 3 years when two Teams have been paired against each other, it looks like this time three or four teams will be paired against each other. Is that accurate? It sounds like whole pile of fun!


The unique rule we are using matches up with #1 of what you said. If you have boba bh on your first duo: then 1) neither of your others duos can have another boba and 2) neither of your opponents can have a boba on any of their duos. Only 1 version of a unique is allowed on your entire team. (ie: of the 18 characters [6 per team member]{3 duos each} you are only allowed 1 version of a unique) 1 boba, 1 Luke, 1 leia etc, etc, etc...

Correct. You will be playing at a table with 2-3 other teams. Player A from teams 1,2,3, and 4 will play a royal rumble format as will player B from each team and so will player C. We will do a rotation after first round and the winner will be the highest scoring team (Combined Points)

(ie: player A from team 1 scored 800 points in his first 2 rounds. Player B from team 1 scored 400 and player C from team 1 scored 600. Then team 1 has a score of 1800 points.)

I will be trying to come up with some prize support for the winning team and also for best team name. I have been super busy lately with kids and work so I can't promise anything but I am trying to think of something.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
sthlrd2 wrote:
The unique rule we are using matches up with #1 of what you said. If you have boba bh on your first duo: then 1) neither of your others duos can have another boba and 2) neither of your opponents can have a boba on any of their duos. Only 1 version of a unique is allowed on your entire team. (ie: of the 18 characters [6 per team member]{3 duos each} you are only allowed 1 version of a unique) 1 boba, 1 Luke, 1 leia etc, etc, etc...


I think Jake meant teammates, not opponents. Can't really control what your opponents bring.

Also - I take it this means you're coming to GenCon Trevor? As of last year I didn't think you were.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Thanx Tim, yes that was a mistake. It should have been teammates.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3599
Location: New Jersey
Yes, my plans have gloriously changed! The game is better now than it's ever been, so I was hoping I could be part of it at least one last time, and then out of the blue, my wife (who is amazing!) says, "Why don't you go to Gencon this year?" :saber:

I'm riding up to Indy in the DarthJimMobile, and Hinkbert and Darphnader and I are working right now on our RRTT squad ideas. It's gonna be a blast!

_________________
"Don't give the tool more credit than the master." --Weeks
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, my plans have gloriously changed! The game is better now than it's ever been, so I was hoping I could be part of it at least one last time, and then out of the blue, my wife (who is amazing!) says, "Why don't you go to Gencon this year?" :saber:

I'm riding up to Indy in the DarthJimMobile, and Hinkbert and Darphnader and I are working right now on our RRTT squad ideas. It's gonna be a blast!


That is so great to hear!

And a very formidable team. Lookout!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, my plans have gloriously changed! The game is better now than it's ever been, so I was hoping I could be part of it at least one last time, and then out of the blue, my wife (who is amazing!) says, "Why don't you go to Gencon this year?" :saber:

I'm riding up to Indy in the DarthJimMobile, and Hinkbert and Darphnader and I are working right now on our RRTT squad ideas. It's gonna be a blast!


That is so great to hear!

And a very formidable team. Lookout!


Not nearly as formidable as Team Royal Rumble :D :D :D :D

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
And a very formidable team. Lookout!


Not nearly as formidable as Team Royal Rumble :D :D :D :D


Truth!
:Boba:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Edited with ruling on force suppression.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Posted for ease:

- force suppression: In the event of more than one character with force suppression on the board at the same time, you will still only have to pay 1 extra force as this will fall under the general rule of stacking. A character can't be affected by the same ability multiple times unless it specifically says "this ability stacks" (which force suppression does not).


Kind of obvious imo, but you never know.

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield