logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TimmerB123 wrote:
Forgot to mention this - could anyone who has the Rattatak Arena (AKA Royal Rumble Map) bring it to GenCon? Especially those of you playing in the tournament. I want to make sure we have enough maps to play on. I don't happen to have 10 sitting around.

Yes plz. I will have mine and Tim will bring his, but obviously we will need more than 2. So plz if you are playing, bring the map with. If we use it or not, the main thing is to make sure we have enough. As us electricians would say when pulling wire, "too much, and your @$"'!;:, too little and it's your job. Better to be an :@!":$, than to lose your job."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
Forgot to mention this - could anyone who has the Rattatak Arena (AKA Royal Rumble Map) bring it to GenCon? Especially those of you playing in the tournament. I want to make sure we have enough maps to play on. I don't happen to have 10 sitting around.

I'll bring mine (laminated).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Is disintegration allowed in RR?

Fun Stuff:
In the year 3000 we will combine Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook to create the ultimate website: youtwitface

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

UggieDemo wrote:
Is disintegration allowed in RR?

Yes. You can use boba bh and all of his tricks. Do you have a team already or are you making one? Keep in mind the unique rule goes across the team. If you play boba in one of your squads then no one else in your team can play a boba in any of their squads.
Hope to see yet another team in RR tourney.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:

Consider mine packed....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:54 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

At least one and possibly two teams from ATL will be there to throw down.

That is all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

greentime wrote:
At least one and possibly two teams from ATL will be there to throw down.

That is all.

Wow, this should be a great turnout.

May the battle for the belt begin!!!

Let's get reeeeaaaadyyyyyyyyyyy toooo ruuuummmmmbbblllleee!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:11 pm 

Some questions we came up with while talking about our squads:

Will Scum and Villainy be legal for this event?
Do we have to choose the order of the second and third pair beforehand, or can we pick which one we want based on the board conditions?
If a character kills itself, who gets the points (for example if Kaan blows himself up)? Or what if you bring in Exar Kun and someone to swap essence into - who gets those points?
Similarly, if you use Onimi to take over someone else's character and kill someone, who gets the points?
If you play the Nightsister on Rancor, do you get to make the dismounting save, and if so, are any additional points scored for killing the dismounted Nightsister?
Does Diplomat work as normal? Or Override?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

greentime wrote:
Some questions we came up with while talking about our squads:

Will Scum and Villainy be legal for this event?
Do we have to choose the order of the second and third pair beforehand, or can we pick which one we want based on the board conditions?
If a character kills itself, who gets the points (for example if Kaan blows himself up)? Or what if you bring in Exar Kun and someone to swap essence into - who gets those points?
Similarly, if you use Onimi to take over someone else's character and kill someone, who gets the points?
If you play the Nightsister on Rancor, do you get to make the dismounting save, and if so, are any additional points scored for killing the dismounted Nightsister?
Does Diplomat work as normal? Or Override?

I will make an attempt to answer everything here but if I miss one then plz go to the first page of this thread as everything should be covered in there.

First- Scum & Villany is not legal in this format.

Second- order for your 2nd and 3rd squads can be decided as the time comes (judging off of board conditions).
Everyone will know what all your squads are because they will all be in front of you but part of the stratagy is deciding when to bring in what squad depending on what the situation is on the board.

Third- points from killing your own figure are split among the other players. If Khan blows up and kills a piece, you will get those points but the 36 pnts for Khan will be split among the other players.
Other figs (not included in any of your squads) can not be brought in. No alchemy or dismount. You can still use Celeste or the rancor but those abilities that let you bring in additional characters can not be used.
Override is never brought up because there are no doors to open/close. (Everything takes place in the arena)
If you take control of a piece with onimi and kill another piece, then you will get those pnts. You get a turn under your control so that piece is considered yours for that turn.

I think I covered everything, but you should probably refer to the first page as that will spell everything out you need to know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I just read the first post. I have 2 things that I need to edit.
First - the unique rule for this team tournament at Gen Con will apply to your entire team. If you have a boba on one of your squads, then neither of your other squads can have a boba and neither one of your teammates squads can have a boba.

2nd - just recently implemented. You will only score pnts for your remaining figs if the game finishes. If a game goes to time, then no pnts will be scored for remaining figs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:43 am 

How does emplacement work, if someone wants to play a bacta tank or (much more likely) Palpatine on Throne?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:57 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

greentime wrote:
How does emplacement work, if someone wants to play a bacta tank or (much more likely) Palpatine on Throne?

Answered in the first post.

The entire base must be within 6 of your phase in area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Reminder - Sat night at GenCon - 8pm (right after TILE WARS)

Royal Rumble Team Tournament!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Royal Rumble had a great turnout with 21 and everyone had a blast. Congrats to Deri, Ray, and Wes for winning the royal rumble team tournament.

One thing that I forgot which likley would have put "team royal rumble" ahead is the last match of my Zannah against the Grahms firebreathers. With me corrupting and bubbling damage away from the fire, I managed to kill one and get the other down to 20. And idiot me forgot to make a save for my crab armor 6 from Vergere almost the entire match. That probably would have won me the game and put us ahead in points.

Oh well, I was the idiot that forgot, it is what it is and Deri, Ray, and Wes "Team M. B. M." wins it and they deserved it cause they played hard throughout.
So again, great turnout and congrats to team M.B.M.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

sthlrd2, have you considered whether or not the new Luke and Sidious will be legal for Royal Rumble? I was just wondering and I wasn't sure if it was required for a team to have 2 pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:39 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hinkbert wrote:
sthlrd2, have you considered whether or not the new Luke and Sidious will be legal for Royal Rumble? I was just wondering and I wasn't sure if it was required for a team to have 2 pieces.

I've been thinking about it now that you brought it up. I am leaning towards no they are not, a team must have 2 figs. I will have to look at them some more before I make a final desicision. I will post here later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The tournament was fun, despite that it really showed that Team Atlanta had absolutely 0 experience playing this format.

One thing that I mentioned there to some people is that I think it would be incredibly helpful to new players of this format is if the "veterans" of it were to post what pairs they played with. We had no idea what kinds of things people played or what worked and what didn't, which was definitely in the "Con" column when we were talking about whether we were going to be in this tournament or not.

Since nobody has posted anything about it, though, I'll start by saying what I played with and how well they did!

First pair: Galen Marek and Cay Qel-Droma - I really wanted to play Cay, because it seemed to me that there would be a lot of Unique characters in this format, and someone failing their Cay's Legacy save would be a really big swing. Unfortunately in my first game Atton Rand killed him and passed the save and in the second game he got eaten by a Leviathan so no save was made. He was still a solid piece to tie people up and do some damage, and Ataru Style was really easy to get off, so he worked out pretty well. I paired Galen with him because there weren't many commanders that I think would boost Cay well so I just put him with a big character. Galen worked great, though! Pull is really, really good in this format, because people can't do stuff like put a scrub in the way to block you from it. Lightning and Repulse are also great since they hit multiple targets so you can potentially get multiple kills. Plus he's just a solid attacker on his own. He doesn't have much in the way of defenses, so you have to be careful so he doesn't die too quickly, but he did pretty well for me.

Second pair: Darth Revan, Sith Lord and Lord Kaan - Kaan is really cool in this format just because the Thought Bomb is a lot of auto damage, and if you kill him on your turn your opponents split the points (which can often be better than just one player getting them all). You'll also get Bravado off quite a bit, and Backlash since you win init with Revan and usually use Revan first to do extra damage with Cunning. Speaking of which, Master Tactician is AMAZING in this format, mostly because you'll find yourself in a position where you can make sneaky political deals with the other players to let other people go first. Having that kind of control over the whole game is huge. Revan is also a good choice because he's just very strong defensively and has good enough damage output on his own. He's also super fast so you can get to those weakened characters to finish them off, and you can move Kaan around a little more (or position Kaan so that Revan returns to a more favorable position after attacking). You have to be careful, though, because you don't want to set off Thought Bomb while within 6 of Revan, and you have to be within 6 of him to swap. So when you see the opportunity for the Thought Bomb, get Revan out of there!

Third pair: Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight and Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi - I liked to play these two last because they are very defensive. The both have Parry (and there is a good amount of Melee in this) and Jaina has Deflect while Jacen has Embrace of Pain. You also get Lightning which is good like I said before, and Jaina is super speedy so again you can get to those weakened characters and grab the points. This was probably my weakest pair, although Jaina was quite good. Jacen should probably get replaced with somebody better to pair with her.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Last edited by Echo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I know there are squads listed from other games somewhere in this thread (although that would require you to read through 7 pages. I can't blame you for not wanting to do that). I also believe in the Missouri regional thread I listed squads played from the royal rumble on Friday and again the royal rumble during the final 4.
A squad that I played quite often (not at the con) was Cay and exar dfs (yes, way under 100 but it was just to run them in there and steal somebody's big beat after they fail their save 15. A more fun squad but something I played because you can run stupid stuff like that in this format and still have fun.
Im glad Atlanta showed up to play this format and hope you guys do it next year as well.
I have to get going now but I will come back on and do a small squad report with some play techniques that I use.

Thank you for posting. It was a fun time and I hope more people post here about squads that were played and how much fun they had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I should probably give the run down of my squads seeing i was 1/3rd of the vicotrs

1st Darth Zannah and Celest Morne
The idea here was to shield Morne with Zannah to get her close for some JH Amushes and then have Zannah corrupting the melee after.
I put them down 1st in the 1st game and Zannah, contrary to what she was intended to do, got smoked by a triple twin Carth (Carth and Vader LotDS combo is awesome). However, Celeste (who i cloaked while Zannah got burned) managed to do some great damage. Ambush is pretty easy to get off when 4-5 pieces are in a bunch, she offed both Vader and Carth, and perhaps even a 3rd piece.
In the second game i brought them out second and the roles reversed totally, Celeste went down after squandering an ambush on Flobi, but Zannah beat down triple twin rex and corrupted several other pieces.
They worked well individually but didn't function as a team very well due to the awesome shooters i was facing.

2nd Ganner and Lord Vader
Originally it was supposed to be Luke commando and vader but Ray wanted Loda so we switched out Ganner for Luke.
In the 1st game i brought them in 2nd and this team did terribly. Two Uber Crit Maces were on the board and LV just gets owned by them. Vader did score a ganner Kill and perhaps another fig but Mace caught him and battered him (no assault, no rage, no leap nothing, Mace absorbs it all). Ganner, however, is not to be overlooked. People do though and that means you can use his push to snake kills.
Anyway, second game i brought them out 1st and LV had a field day. A first round levitate and LV ate Cad Bane, beat a viper to an inch of its life and took out Sora Bulq before going down. Ganner was his sneaky best aswell pushing a couple of people for sneaky points.

3rd by FAR the best team i used
Grievous DAC and IG88 Assassin Droid.
IG88 in the hands of Grievous in a format where you can't scrub block him is devastating. He's pretty tough but his +24 quad opportunist mopped up the field in both games leaving them the sole suvivors. Between the two they killed 2 firebreathers, Gowk, Freedon Nad, and at least two other big figures. Grievous is mainly a shooter but you keep him close to IG for some triple jedi hunter interference. Very hard to deal with when figs a wounded.

This game is about matchups, everyone has a bad match up (see LV v Mace for example) so you have to try and bring your guys out when they have an advantage. Obviously the 1st choice squad is a gamble but dmg sinks tend to be able to get involved early as they have less bad match up. Shooters are amazing end game unless you've managed to drag the fight to your spawn area in which case you've engineered your own demise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next