logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:58 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Missed a couple of key words in the update. ( with -no- faction restrictions).

Updated/edited 5-1-2012 with new rules for Jar Jar interactions and the word -no- before faction restrictions.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Game ID: NMN1230208
Gaming Group
/ Company: SWM Gamers
Title: Star Wars Miniatures Team Tournament: Royal Rumble
Short Description: Form a team of 3 and be ready to face off in the most chaotic battle. Each player will come with three two-man teams and each player will have one team in play in the Rattatak Arena map
Long Description: For this year's Team Tournament, we will be putting all players on one map at the same time. Using the rules from the Royal Rumble custom game, each player will need to bring 3 different 2-man squads equaling up to, but not exactly, 100 points, and faction rules do not apply. Players will roll off and then start deciding which of their teams will start the battle. Once a player has had their first team defeated, they may choose another team to come into play. So bring on your Dream Teams of duos and unleash them on the opposition!
Event Type: NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System: Star Wars Miniatures
Rules Edition: 2012 SWMPGA Floor
Minimum
Number of Players: 6
Maximum
Number of Players: 24
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (You've never played before)
Materials Provided: No, materials are not provided for this game. You must bring your own.
Start Date & Time: Saturday at 8:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
GM(s): Ray Becker
Web Address
for more information: swmgamers.com
Email Address
for more information: dvader831@gmail.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost: $14.00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Stay tuned for clarification on how this will be run. It's gonna be a blast!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:

I believe the word chaotic was used. Starting areas will be interesting...will there be four teams per map and one team per door? Or are we going to have to find a 5th and 6th starting area?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I believe the word chaotic was used. Starting areas will be interesting...will there be four teams per map and one team per door? Or are we going to have to find a 5th and 6th starting area?

TimmerB123 wrote:
Stay tuned

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bump for now,

Update For gen con should be coming soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Final details are being hammered out - but here's what to expect for sure:

- A fun competitive tournament
- The Royal Rumble format with an exciting new twist
- A team aspect where you have accumulative points, and a winning team of 3 players

This tournament will run in the typical 4 hour slot, but be aware that it will start AFTER TILE WARS finishes. Due to a scheduling snaffu, there was a slight overlap between the two. Anyone playing in TILE WARS (and I hope everyone does) can also play in this.

This is the only official TEAM tournament at GenCon this year - so let the trash talking begin!

Get your 3 player teams together and start making squads.
Each player must have three pairs of characters, each pair equal to or less than 100pts.
NO FACTION RESTRICTIONS!!! Mix and match as you see fit.

I will reveal this - the "unique" rule will apply to all teammates squads.
Each team will have 18 figures total. 3 sets of two x 3 players. No "counts as the same character" duplicates among all 18 figures.
So - in other words, let's say Team One has players A, B and C. If player A has Luke Skywalker Champion of the Force on one squad, no other squad on Team One may contain a Luke of any kind. No Luke's Landspeeder, no Luke Skywalker Jedi Master, not even Luke Farmboy may be played by either player B or C, or be in another squad on player A's team.

This will create a lot of fun diversity in the squads we see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TimmerB123 wrote:
This is the only official TEAM tournament at GenCon this year - so let the trash talking begin!

So who's gonna step up and challenge to win the Team Tournament this year?

Atlanta? I'm calling you out. You don't have what it takes for this tournament. You might as well sit this one out.

So who does have what it takes?

Mike G? You gonna get some of your IN boys together to make a run?

How about up there in MI? Jason, Eric, Lou, Scott, Will? Who has the balls to take this one on?

How about the Northeast? Maybe Darth Jim can gather the forces to make a stand.

What about mighty MO? Can an uggie crew do what it takes? Or maybe Ben J can gather some adopties to tackle the challenge. Rueben - you up for it?

Any representatives from the west? Who's commin to GenCon to show us that the West is Best?

We welcome all challengers!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without any further ado, this is how the royal rumble team tournament will be run at gen con 2012.

We play multiple REGULAR Royal Rumble games (ie - with only 3 or 4 players per the board, each with only 1 duo on the board at a time), but you have other "teammates" that are playing on other boards with their own sets of 3 duos. We keep track of all scores and add the teammates scores together. Do a rotation then repeat.

2 rounds, 1hr45min time limit on each round. Winning team has the highest combined score at the end.

Simple - but fun.

Also, for an extra challenge, The "unique" rule will go across all teammates squads as well. In other words,

Makes for more combos to be seen. I think it will be a ton of fun this way.

Overall it will play slightly like team tournaments of the past, but obviously in Royal Rumble format instead. It will have a similar feel in that you won't ever be on the same map as your teammates, but what they do will affect how you do as a team.

So go find your teammates, prepare your squads, and...

LET'S GET READY TO RUUUMMBLLEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bump again

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Thanks for posting this; I don't know how I missed it when I read the thread earlier today. :oops:

For clarification: Which version of "The Unique Rule" are we using? I've seen it have both of these meanings in the past:
1. Only one version of any character can be played in the entire Team (ie, if Player A uses Boba Mercenary then Players B and C on his team cannot use any Boba).
2. No single unique piece can be used more than once per Team, but different versions of that piece can be used (ie, Player A uses Boba Mercenary, Player B uses Boba BH, and Player C uses Mando Boba)

And if I'm understanding correctly, the way the team pairings will work is that, unlike the last 3 years when two Teams have been paired against each other, it looks like this time three or four teams will be paired against each other. Is that accurate? It sounds like whole pile of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

thereisnotry wrote:
Thanks for posting this; I don't know how I missed it when I read the thread earlier today. :oops:

For clarification: Which version of "The Unique Rule" are we using? I've seen it have both of these meanings in the past:
1. Only one version of any character can be played in the entire Team (ie, if Player A uses Boba Mercenary then Players B and C on his team cannot use any Boba).
2. No single unique piece can be used more than once per Team, but different versions of that piece can be used (ie, Player A uses Boba Mercenary, Player B uses Boba BH, and Player C uses Mando Boba)

And if I'm understanding correctly, the way the team pairings will work is that, unlike the last 3 years when two Teams have been paired against each other, it looks like this time three or four teams will be paired against each other. Is that accurate? It sounds like whole pile of fun!

The unique rule we are using matches up with #1 of what you said. If you have boba bh on your first duo: then 1) neither of your others duos can have another boba and 2) neither of your opponents can have a boba on any of their duos. Only 1 version of a unique is allowed on your entire team. (ie: of the 18 characters [6 per team member]{3 duos each} you are only allowed 1 version of a unique) 1 boba, 1 Luke, 1 leia etc, etc, etc...

Correct. You will be playing at a table with 2-3 other teams. Player A from teams 1,2,3, and 4 will play a royal rumble format as will player B from each team and so will player C. We will do a rotation after first round and the winner will be the highest scoring team (Combined Points)

(ie: player A from team 1 scored 800 points in his first 2 rounds. Player B from team 1 scored 400 and player C from team 1 scored 600. Then team 1 has a score of 1800 points.)

I will be trying to come up with some prize support for the winning team and also for best team name. I have been super busy lately with kids and work so I can't promise anything but I am trying to think of something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

sthlrd2 wrote:
The unique rule we are using matches up with #1 of what you said. If you have boba bh on your first duo: then 1) neither of your others duos can have another boba and 2) neither of your opponents can have a boba on any of their duos. Only 1 version of a unique is allowed on your entire team. (ie: of the 18 characters [6 per team member]{3 duos each} you are only allowed 1 version of a unique) 1 boba, 1 Luke, 1 leia etc, etc, etc...

I think Jake meant teammates, not opponents. Can't really control what your opponents bring.

Also - I take it this means you're coming to GenCon Trevor? As of last year I didn't think you were.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanx Tim, yes that was a mistake. It should have been teammates.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, my plans have gloriously changed! The game is better now than it's ever been, so I was hoping I could be part of it at least one last time, and then out of the blue, my wife (who is amazing!) says, "Why don't you go to Gencon this year?" :saber:

I'm riding up to Indy in the DarthJimMobile, and Hinkbert and Darphnader and I are working right now on our RRTT squad ideas. It's gonna be a blast!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, my plans have gloriously changed! The game is better now than it's ever been, so I was hoping I could be part of it at least one last time, and then out of the blue, my wife (who is amazing!) says, "Why don't you go to Gencon this year?" :saber:

I'm riding up to Indy in the DarthJimMobile, and Hinkbert and Darphnader and I are working right now on our RRTT squad ideas. It's gonna be a blast!

That is so great to hear!

And a very formidable team. Lookout!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

That is so great to hear!

Not nearly as formidable as Team Royal Rumble :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Not nearly as formidable as Team Royal Rumble :D :D :D :D

Truth!
:Boba:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Edited with ruling on force suppression.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Posted for ease:

- force suppression: In the event of more than one character with force suppression on the board at the same time, you will still only have to pay 1 extra force as this will fall under the general rule of stacking. A character can't be affected by the same ability multiple times unless it specifically says "this ability stacks" (which force suppression does not).

Kind of obvious imo, but you never know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next