logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:17 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you Deri for that wonderful write up. My squads took a different approach (both of which I think are valid) and team royal rumble might have been the victor if I would have remembered my stupid crab armor.

Anyways, my approach was go with a heavy damage type squad first, then 2nd go with a snipe kill type squad (accurate shot, or speed to get to the damaged oppontents.), and last go with a brick, survive anything type squad that will outlast and finish off the others.

My squads were
1) IG88/GDAC
2) Jedi Exile/Han G.H.
3) Zannah/Vergere

I brought in IG first in both games and it back fired both games. In round 1 after an IG pummel and kill, my opponents not only teamed up to go after me but also gave up AoO to their other opponent, even though it would kill them, as a way to not allow me any points.

With 2 Maul SI's on the board in round 1, I elected to bring Zannah Vergere in 2nd over Han/Exile and for the most part worked because Zannah was able to outlast the others until only 1 opponent was left on their last squad (Nightsister on Rancor/Vergere). I realized Zannah couldnt win this so rather than give 1 opponent 48 pnts, I killed myself with a corruption and my oppontents split the pnts for Zannah. Then Han/Exile finish off the last squad and survive. At the end I was still down by like 5 pnts due to all the pnts that my oppontents gave to each other.

2nd round, Again I brought in IG first, stupid me as my oppontents both said, oh I've seen that squad last round and they both teamed up at the very beginning to take them out, but then Han/Exile come out and do their thing, taking whatever kills I could get whenever I could get them. And finally Zannah/Vergere come out and last a long time until one other opponent remained with 2 firebreathers at or near full health. Zannah would assult and run 8 with another force pnt forcing them to move into base me and atk @+6 rather than take a flame for 40. Vergere goes down fast doing whatever damage she could do (which wasn't much). Then Zannah starts corrupting and even corrupt myself a few times to bubble the damage away. I get 1 firebreather dead and the other down to 10 or 20 before Zannah dies.

And then on Sunday, I realized I forgot all about my crab armor saves during that last round with Zannah. That would have given me enough to finish off the last firebreather which would have scored me 46 mre pnts for that kill plus 48 for Zannah being last man standing, and those pnts would have likely put team Royal Rumble ahead of Team MBM for the title but as it is, we lost and it was my fault. How ironic that the guy who created this format is the guy to screw up and lose because of it.

It was a ton of fun (you can tell by looking at the pics that Tim posted here)
Thanks Tim for posting those.
I'm so thrilled that everyone had such a good time playing this format, it truely does mean a lot to me.

I hope everyone can join us next year and hopefully bring more people to play.

One last thank you to the SWM COMMUNITY for making this format a success. I've been working hard on it, hoping that everyone would approve of it and have fun with it. So thank you to all who helped with the format and all who endorse, support, play, approve...etc...etc...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Question, someone in the thread metioned that their DUO was under 100 points, Is that ok? I had assumened that it was like DD where it was 2 figures = exactly 100 points.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:24 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

No, the combos don't have to total exactly 100pts. In fact, most of the best combos don't total 100pts. My combo of Mara Jade and Cad Bane (99pts) was the most successful one for me. Darth Jim's combo of Han GH with Malak DLotS (99pts) was also effective. But the combo of Vergere and the Nightsister-on-Rancor (92pts) that Gerry Russell played was simply superb.

The original reason for requiring the pieces to total exactly 100pts in DD was that people didn't want to see the Boba BH/Aurra Sing combo (99pts) all the time, which would have dominated at the time if it was allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Azavander wrote:
Question, someone in the thread metioned that their DUO was under 100 points, Is that ok? I had assumened that it was like DD where it was 2 figures = exactly 100 points.

From post 1 (Bold for emphasis):

sthlrd2 wrote:
Everyone makes three seperate 100 pnt (or under) teams of 2 characters each with no faction restriction (so 6 figures total).

Needing 3 duos without faction restrictions and with the unique rule in place, it really makes for so many good combos. We had some good duos, and I was still surprised by many others. Not having to be exactly 100 really opens up the possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
The tournament was fun, despite that it really showed that Team Atlanta had absolutely 0 experience playing this format.

One thing that I mentioned there to some people is that I think it would be incredibly helpful to new players of this format is if the "veterans" of it were to post what pairs they played with. We had no idea what kinds of things people played or what worked and what didn't, which was definitely in the "Con" column when we were talking about whether we were going to be in this tournament or not.

To tell the truth, there aren't too many veterans of this format. Jake and I would qualify I guess, but it goes downhill steeply after that. Deri hasn't even played it more than a handful of times to my knowledge. The IN guys are probably next up.

Ray's team won it and he'd only played it once or twice. I don't think Wes had ever played it.

Some guys that have never played it before came out and really surprised people. I don't think Jim had ever played it (certainly not much if so).

Honestly it's a new format to most, and I was really impressed with some of the foresight and creativity I saw.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

From the discussions that I heard most people seemed to have played it at least once or twice before. I'm pretty sure Jim had played at least once before. Wes might not have. The bar for "vet" for this format is just really low; honestly after having played in just 2 games of this format I now have a MUCH better idea of how it works and what would do well, what wouldn't, and why.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
From the discussions that I heard most people seemed to have played it at least once or twice before. I'm pretty sure Jim had played at least once before. Wes might not have. The bar for "vet" for this format is just really low; honestly after having played in just 2 games of this format I now have a MUCH better idea of how it works and what would do well, what wouldn't, and why.

Fair enough. To be honest your teams were good. Match-ups are huge in this format.

So why didn't you guys play it once or twice before you came? Other teams did just that and came up with awesome squads.

Also - Jake and I never even dreamed of it being a team event. Ray was the madman who came up with it (simply because he wanted a team tournament, but there weren't enough slots). Funny how he won it then . . .

But this being only a 2 round team tournament, everything changes on a dime. It was a 180 swing from Team Royal Rumble to Team MBM when Greg made his LS defense save with Marka Ragnos. My Boba would have killed him (and thus Exar Kun DFS) giving my team 90 points instead of Ray's team, when Ray snuck in and stole the kill. And then we would have won the title easily.

Anyway - my point is that there are so many factors in this format (ESPECIALLY in the team format, which we ALL were playing for the first time) that you can't address them all. You just play and have fun.

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
Echo wrote:

Fair enough. To be honest your teams were good. Match-ups are huge in this format.

So why didn't you guys play it once or twice before you came? Other teams did just that and came up with awesome squads. I don't understand the complaining that you were unprepared because you chose not to prepare.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. We didn't prepare because we weren't sure if we were playing in it, and we preferred to spend our small amount of free time preparing for other things like the championship. We literally decided to play in it a few days beforehand, and even then David was originally on the team with me and Graham but the day of David dropped out and Greg took his spot. We knew we were unprepared and didn't really know what we would see, and that was alright.

I was just saying that if we had been able to have a better idea of what other people considered good in this format it might have been better and we might have been less on-the-fence about it (we almost didn't play in it, and the main reason we did was just because so many other people were). I wouldn't be surprised to learn there were other people who didn't play in it because it's a format they had never played and didn't know anything about, so if people discuss things like their duos more it might make the format more popular, which is a good thing, right?

Quote:
Also - Jake and I never even dreamed of it being a team event. Ray was the madman who came up with it (simply because he wanted a team tournament, but there weren't enough slots). Funny how he won it then . . .

But this being only a 2 round team tournament, everything changes on a dime. It was a 180 swing from Team Royal Rumble to Team MBM when Greg made his LS defense save with Marka Ragnos. My Boba would have killed him (and thus Exar Kun DFS) giving my team 90 points instead of Ray's team, when Ray snuck in and stole the kill. And then we would have won the title easily.

Anyway - my point is that there are so many factors in this format (ESPECIALLY in the team format, which we ALL were playing for the first time) that you can't address them all. You just play and have fun.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the swinginess or anything. That's really inherent in the format, which is fine. Hell, I'm not complaining about how poorly my team did; in round 2 I did awesome! It was fun. I'm actually trying to help this format grow by encouraging discussion about it. Why don't you post what you played and why? That would be interesting and would probably help interested people get their heads around the format.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Echo wrote:

So why didn't you guys play it once or twice before you came? Other teams did just that and came up with awesome squads. I don't understand the complaining that you were unprepared because you chose not to prepare.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. We didn't prepare because we weren't sure if we were playing in it, and we preferred to spend our small amount of free time preparing for other things like the championship. We literally decided to play in it a few days beforehand, and even then David was originally on the team with me and Graham but the day of David dropped out and Greg took his spot. We knew we were unprepared and didn't really know what we would see, and that was alright.

I was just saying that if we had been able to have a better idea of what other people considered good in this format it might have been better and we might have been less on-the-fence about it (we almost didn't play in it, and the main reason we did was just because so many other people were). I wouldn't be surprised to learn there were other people who didn't play in it because it's a format they had never played and didn't know anything about, so if people discuss things like their duos more it might make the format more popular, which is a good thing, right?

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not talking about the swinginess or anything. That's really inherent in the format, which is fine. Hell, I'm not complaining about how poorly my team did; in round 2 I did awesome! It was fun. I'm actually trying to help this format grow by encouraging discussion about it. Why don't you post what you played and why? That would be interesting and would probably help interested people get their heads around the format.

Awesome. Sorry I misinterpreted your tone.

I played:

Whorm Loathsom and Durge JH 1st.
Sick shooty madness! You almost always start with LoS on someone, and it's frequently a force user. Light them up, take the points. Also, people tend to run from Durge, (rightfully so), and then he lasts a long time (especially with regen 20). If you can keep Whorm safe, Durge is a force to be reckoned with. Get up on points early, and cruise. Worked perfectly in round 2. Ray brought in Exile and Durge, but IMO, Whorm is better. 180 damage threat is too great to challenge alone. In game 1 Daniel brought out Cay (Damn, probably the best counter!), and I couldn't risk killing him with a non-force user. If I failed that save it would be game over. Probably tournament over. So I chose my other opponent, Bryan - who had Master Thon. Due to MotF2, high HP, and Lightsaber Defense (and a few misses on my end), I couldn't finish him off. SO those points got sniped and my big opener didn't pull his weight.

I am a big believer that I will never have a set 2nd team and 3rd team. I play them when the situation calls for it.

My other 2 squads (in no particular order) were:

Darth Maul SI and Potty Palps - They are a huge damage threat and a brick. If there are shooters on the board, or a juicy kill lurking within range of my phase in door - I bring these guys. Also if everyone on the board is full health, then these are the guys to bring, since Maul is a threat to anyone at anytime. Palps is a brick that can soak up a lot of shots. Maul takes the easy kill if something is close, cloaks if not (using Plaps FP). Maul can Sith Rage 2 every turn using Palps FPs, and cloaked he's a ridiculous threat (160 damage). He also can take a lot from Melee (Teras Kasi) and so if someone tries to come smack the Emperor, Mauly-boy is waiting to thrash them. Once Maul goes down Palps sucks, but he still can do his thing vs Melee. Great survivability.

Boba Merc and The Revanchist. My kill sniper. Tactician +8 is so awesome (although it's amazing how often I failed init even with this), and helps Boba get his cunning. And beween Boba's intuition, flight and Revanchist's CE, Boba has an effective 12 square movement range to still get his 2 accurate shot cunning attacks. Snipe central. I have stolen so many kills with these two it's nuts! I bring them in 2nd if anyone (significant) has 60 hp or less and is not cloaked or Super Stealthed. Boba has such great movement he's hard to pin down, but when he does die Revanchist ain't bad either. The big FP4 is awesome for an auto kill as well.

Due to a bad start in game 1, we pretty much all ended close to even. Not great, but could have been worse.

I dominated in round 2, and scored over 500 pts. If Greg would have missed that last LS defense, Team Royal Rumble would have won overall and I would have had the highest single game score. Ray pulled in just enough points to edge us out (although it sounds like Deri had the Lion's share for his team)

Regardless it was a ton of fun and I look forward to it again next year!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not had much time to play around with V-4 in any format so I was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to mess around with V-4 in Royal Rumble. Is there anything I need to examine more closely as far as rules or interactions are concerned.
If so plz list your squad and your concern or question and I will put my attention into ironing out V-4 for royal rumble play.

Work has had me on a crazy schedule as of late, so I haven't even had a lot of time to look over everything from V-4 to even know where to begin to solve any strange interactions. I can tell you that I'm tired of getting up at 3:30 am every day.

Any help would be great

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:40 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

So I have been lobbying to get the Royal Rumble format into our league play schedule and it looks like it might happen this month! We have played the Battle Royale format (designed by the NZ crew?)and that has been well received but I think this would be a blast too so I am really excited about this!

A couple things, one is it possible to get this thread stickied or perhaps anothet thread with the rules created and posted in astickied in the appropriate forum? I wasny sure where to find it initially.

Second, I may have missed in the first post of the thread but I didn't see the Master Tac details covered there and had to dig.

As for time allotment , does this go very much quicker witth 3 people on a map as opposed to 4? I was hoping we could get 2 rounds in that night but might not be able to make that work.

Hopefully we can get this scheduled and get you some feedback on v-4.

Lastly, thanks Jake (and Tim) for all you have done keeping this concept going. Looks like t will be a blast!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

GalacticFunk wrote:
So I have been lobbying to get the Royal Rumble format into our league play schedule and it looks like it might happen this month! We have played the Battle Royale format (designed by the NZ crew?)and that has been well received but I think this would be a blast too so I am really excited about this!

A couple things, one is it possible to get this thread stickied or perhaps anothet thread with the rules created and posted in astickied in the appropriate forum? I wasny sure where to find it initially.

Second, I may have missed in the first post of the thread but I didn't see the Master Tac details covered there and had to dig.

As for time allotment , does this go very much quicker witth 3 people on a map as opposed to 4? I was hoping we could get 2 rounds in that night but might not be able to make that work.

Hopefully we can get this scheduled and get you some feedback on v-4.

Lastly, thanks Jake (and Tim) for all you have done keeping this concept going. Looks like t will be a blast!

Awesome!

It does go quicker with 3 than 4, but not hugely so.

Master Tac (and regular tact) all work like normal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

The Master Tactician comment was more a suggestion than anything else. I read through the entire first post to familiarize myself with the rules and didn't see it in there. Not having played RR before it was actually one of my first questions and thought it would be good to have there without trying to dig through the whole thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GalacticFunk wrote:
The Master Tactician comment was more a suggestion than anything else. I read through the entire first post to familiarize myself with the rules and didn't see it in there. Not having played RR before it was actually one of my first questions and thought it would be good to have there without trying to dig through the whole thread.

Done. Master Tactiction and Tactiction working as normal has been edited into the first post.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gen Con is around the corner and I've had little time to start looking through v4 and v5 cards for interactions that may have to get a closer look at before Gen Con. I am just getting underway with going through cards (would prefer some actual Playtests with this format, but I don't have time for that yet). I am asking the community to help me out. Please if you have any time, Playtest, look through v4, and v5 cards and consider any interactions that may occur. Post findings here. If anything needs to be looked at/ruled on then I will get on that.

If you have played this format with v4 and v5 stuff then please let me know how it went and if there was anything weird. What you ran, how the abilities interacted with other abilities or rulings? Anyone who participated in this event last year at Gen Con knows it was a blast and a ton of fun. I would like it to run just as smooth. So please if you have time. I'm asking for help to get this ready for Gen Con.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:04 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Jake, while we won't be using the arena for our upcoming Friday Night Follies; our Dynamic Duos on Tiles should still yield some valuable input as to v4 & v5 character interactions. I've got one planned already that should prove most annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:55 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DarthMandalore is looking to play in this (The Royal Rumble) event at gen con this year and needs teammates. If anyone is interested or needs another teammate then plz contact him. He started a thread in competative tourny/meta gaming forums looking for teammates. I have not heard much as to who is participating this year, but I would like to expect the same if not more than last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:33 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just got an email from Alex (Darth Newt) - he is looking for one as well.

Looks like they just need a third!

(Nevermind! DarthMandalore is Darth Newt)

He needs 2 teammates!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:06 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, so I have an important question to pose and see what others think.

For this year at Gen Con for the team royal rumble, we were considering adding a 2x2 square wall in the middle if the arena. We didn't really like the idea of someone getting shot and killed right of the bat before they even get to do anything. This would change that for sure.

But, I am also concerned that doing this may make games take longer, which of course we don't want to do.

So I pose the question to you, what are your thoughts/concerns of making the center of the arena a 2x2 square wall?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It has taken me way to long to get this up and going.

For Gen Con 2013, we will be playing Royal Rumble without the boulder in the middle. I've had one Playtest with it and didn't like how it played. It was a 4 way battle and it essentially divided the battle. It was me vs the guy to my right going at it on one side while the other 2 went at it on the other. Royal Rumble is supposed to be danger from every side so that you have to really work to find your angles. I would have liked to see how it would have played out with 3 players instead of 4 but I didn't have time to try that and its getting way to close to Gen Con to change things now. I will be open for suggestions to improve the format after Gen Con.

On another note, abilities from V4 and V5 that needed some kind of ruling so that people are not surprised when they arrive are the following:

Hostage Shield - I will rule this the same way I rule Jar Jar. Points will be awarded to the player that did the attacking.

Replication - Replication will work as normal. You still cannot have another IG88 in one of your other squads and a teammate still can not have an Ig88 on one of their teams. It will work for that 1 pair.

Resol'nare - this will work the way it currently works in the normal game. If you have the Kelborn pair based to the same enemy and move away using Resol'nare, that enemy will get 1 AoO and will have to pick which character to take the AoO on.

I will update these to the front page later. I'm at work now but wanted to let people have enough time to prepare. Hope to see you all at Gen Con and let the smack talk begin. Which Team will walk away RR champions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8