I would only be a collector 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I would still play, I would scale back my involvement 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Meh, I would pass 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 60

Post subject: Now that it's over...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, obviously some people are bent out of shape over Wizards of the Coast and their handling of this game. So, I was thinking. Now that you know how it all ends would you do it again? On Sept. 3rd 2004 would you buy that first booster or starter of Rebel Storm?

I started playing the fall of 2006 when Bounty Hunters came out, so I am not someone who has been there from the beginning. I do own all the pieces though and would gladly do it all over again. I love the pieces and friends I have made over the years, now some stats, meh that is a different story, but I would definitely do it all over again as I believe all games have a life span and it was apparent a long time ago that Wizards ran out of quality ideas for this game. I also am able to take a step back and enjoy the game for what it is and not try to turn it into something it's not.

So, what's your story? Would you do it again knowing how it all turns out?

Post subject: Re: Now that it's over...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Great idea for a poll, Chris! My ballot has been cast, and if you know me very well at all, then you know which option I chose.

Spoiler: show
I originally bought my first SWMs (RS Starter and Booster) in order to use them with the RPG, but after reading through the rulebook and playing a few games against mystelf (and then my wife), I knew I had found a new favorite hobby. Five years later, I've never looked back. This is quite simply the best game I've ever played, and I'd happily do it again if I had the choice. Of course--like everyone else--I'm sad that WotC has dropped the game; but I have a lot of confidence in the members of the V-Set Design Team, so I think there are plenty of good days ahead. Furthermore, I'm looking forward to the day when my boys are old enough to really play the game by the actual rules, rather than their own rules: "Your Darth Bane is dead because my Han Solo on Tauntaun jumped on his head." Yes, SWM has been entirely worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:09 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I think if you are still around after this long, the only answer is of course I would :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You forgot to put get into the game sooner. I did not start playing until a little before Champions came out. I kept seeing the game at Media Play and wanted to pic it up but did not know were to play or who else played.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

StriderRe80 wrote:
You forgot to put get into the game sooner. I did not start playing until a little before Champions came out. I kept seeing the game at Media Play and wanted to pic it up but did not know were to play or who else played.

I have to agree. I wish I would have gotten in at the very begining, but didn't get into things until ROTS. Our local play group really didn't get organized till Bounty Hunters came out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:07 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Hmm...well, to this point I'm the one "scale back my involvement" vote. And really, all that I mean is that I would collect differently. Over the past couple years, I've stopped being a completist and just focused on getting the minis I need to build competitive squads, or that appeal to me for some personal or aesthetic reason (i.e., getting all the Hans, even the lesser ones, just because I like Han). I would change nothing about how I've played the game--if anything, I wish I had started going to official tournies and so forth sooner (I didn't really start doing that until a couple years ago).

So, by scaling back, I just mean that I wish I would have started buying singles rather than cases a year or three earlier--it would have been a bit easier on the ol' pocketbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

I would do everything again. This has been some of the best years of my life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If I had it to do over, I would definitely have started playing/collecting a lot sooner (TFU/Legacy for me), and the collecting part would have been a lot cheaper in the long run. Or maybe not - I just love opening booster packs. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If I hadn't done it, I would not now have so many great friends in so many different parts of the country. So yeah I would do it all over again.

Glad to see so many other people say they would, too. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I considered voting scale back my involvement. But then I thougt about it and I don't think that I would.

But just because I would do it again with THIS SWM game doesn't mean I will if a new SWM game comes out. It would have to be a good game and have minis to the same scale for RPG purposes for me to consider a new game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My only regret is that I sold off a bunch of unplayable crap minis that will probably be at the top of the list for reboots in V-sets, so I actually wish I had kept more of that stuff around. You know, like most of Clone Strike and RotS... I doubt that stuff is going to be getting any cheaper now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. the friends that i made during this game are greatest. i couldn't ask for better people to hang out with. i started right when revenge of the sith was coming out and for a while i wondered why i was so crazy about seeing new minis and and opening boosters cause it wasn't till champions that i finally found people to play with. it took me a while to get into the mix and find star wars nerds like myself to play, but the people i found greeted me with open arms and accepted me no questions asked and to this day are the best friends i have. when things started going bad(work, friends moving away, relatives dying...). the friends that i made playing this game were always there for me. sometimes just simply getting my mind of things by playing some strange made up format and having fun. first gen con i went to my hand got caught on the rail of the escalator at the mall and sliced my hand open. one of my friends stayed behind and missed a tourny along with me till the paramedics got there. now true we were able to get our money back for the event ticket that we didn't use but still he missed the tourny and it said alot about his character. i wouldnt hesitate for a second to do this all over again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I would still play, I would scale back my involvement. I think I missed out on so much because I spent so much time making maps, I never got really good at the game itself.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
I would still play, I would scale back my involvement. I think I missed out on so much because I spent so much time making maps, I never got really good at the game itself.

Still plenty of time to do that, though, man. Heck, I was only playing for about a year when I went to my first GenCon and managed a top 8 finish. Played pretty extensively during that year, and exclusively competitive games, but it's not that hard to achieve, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Not a doubt in my mind, I would do it all over again. It's cool to walk into my game room and see literally a clost full o' little plastic Star Wars pieces.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'd definitely do it all again. the early sets were definitely the most exciting for me, especially CS and Universe. I remember when the AT-AT came out.. I really expected more vehicles but hey know what... I'm glad we got anything at all along those lines and I'd still go right into this game again any day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Absolutly I would. This game is way too much fun. I think the same for mechwarrior.but wizkids jacked that too.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:51 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Whish i'd got into it sooner.
I only started shortly after Champions came out.
Whish there were more people around my area who played.

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

If I were to change one thing, it would be to have built a bigger player base in the area before Wizards dropped it. In the past year Ihave spent most of my time and energy (and money) trying to keep the group I play with going, instead of becoming a better player.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.