logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Working on a new format
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Got the first tourney scheduled for this format. Im hoping it goes well.

We are using the Rounds +1 squads and Reveal squads, then secret selection for choosing squads to play versions suggested by other users.

Assuming this tourney goes well, I'll post an actual 'new format' thread after the tourney, and give credit to those who gave valuable input.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

Post subject: Re: New 100pt Format: Multi-Squad Monte!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

So, now that the format is officially up, and we had our first tournament with it, I'm posting results.

We had a total of 8 players, and despite my last minute decision to have everyone write down their squads instead of just swapping stacks of cards, it went fairly smoothly.

The squads I played, in order of playing them were:
1) Luke Commando, Opp Han, Extra-Attack Leia, Dodonna, Reikkan, 1 Ugo
2) 3x YVJH, Shaper, Gamorean Bodyguard, 2 Ugos
3) Boba Fett, BH, 2x Bothan Noble, 1 Ugo
4) something else that I didnt end up playing

Round 1 I faced off aginst swinefeld on Muunilist, who was using SS Vong. He had Nom, a YVJH, the Spit Poison guy and some other stuff. I dont remember alot of specifics about the game, but between Han evading just about every shot that hit him, and Luke throwing him around and leia giving him the extra shot, I won pretty handedly.

Round 2 I faced off on Bespin against a guy playing Bacara, Rex, R2AD and a couple Sevs. I started on the platform, he in the carbon freezing room. We moved through the rooms, and once shots started flying, he was moving back, while I tried to move up and stay in cover. I managed to down Bacara and one Sev, and get the other two down to 10hp with a combination of Thud Bug and melee, but he easily took me down.

Round 3 I played aginst a local kid who is rather good, who played Ganner, Mara, Wedge, and an Ugo. he brought a custom map from one of JC's first map pack, i think. Our venue has a general policy, lately anyway, of 'if your opponent doesnt care that its not legal then its fine' for custom maps, so off we went. I thought I was doing well, and won the key initiative when Mara had based Boba, so i could shoot and move away, denying her the kill, but in trying to figure out where to place, I forgot what I was doing and decided to have one of the Bothans activate, heal (putting me at 100 hp), and have Boba fire. Mara is down to 40hp. Right as I finished I went "What am I thinking?" realizing I had just killed myself, lol. he assaulted and rolled a 1 on one of the attacks, leaving me w 10hp, but moved Ganner up and killed Boba. Game.

I went 1-2, :(, but getting to play with so different of squads all night kept me on my toes...somewhat I guess.

Definitely had fun, and cant wait to do it again. Everyone at our venue enjoyed it, and I hope they like it at yours too.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yep, this format was a lot of fun. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sounds awesome, I would love to try this sometime. I like variety so it's cool that every game would be different. Couple things you might want to tighten up:

What happens if a player gets a bye? Do they just choose one of their squads to cross off?

Does the "no repeating characters" rule apply to reinforcements and reserves? There aren't many characters with these abilities so limited chances of abuse if you just said that there are no restrictions on reinforcements or reserves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:58 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Wow, hadnt thought of either of those.

For the bye, I think players choice to mark one out is fine. If you are doing the roll to see what you play, then roll to see what to mark off.

For Reinforcements/ Reserves, yes the 5pt restriction still counts. So if you bring in Wicket in one squad for Reinforcements, then he cant be brought in again. Also, that would mean anything you already have in a squad costing more than 5pts would not be an allowable option for any other squads reinforcements/ reserves.

fingersandteeth wrote: