logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: The End of the Wizards Forums!
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:16 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

And I will agree they way the did announced it that is sounded like the forums would still be there and working and that we would still be able to go there and post stuff about the game. Actually here is the acutal post that Boba52 quoted

Boba52 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22320337/Wizards_of_the_Coast_announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you. After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Stay tuned to Gamers for an announcement from Dean Miller in regards to the fans running this game from here on out! There are a ton of creative things coming down the pipe, so don't run around with all the doom and gloom.

So right here might be were people got confused

Boba52 wrote:
The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime,

They had both May and August in the post so you can see were people were confused. and in bold

Boba52 wrote:
We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

That to me sounds like the forums were not going anywhere. They were still able to post and chat with people. Says nothing about start copying your favorite post becasue screw you we are going to take them down anyway.

I for one do not care that they did or not becasue i have not been to the wizards site since January i believe when they did announce that they were not continuing the game but there are people who wanted the information there. And for one I would of loved to seen boris post about that.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:58 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

StriderRe80 wrote:
That to me sounds like the forums were not going anywhere. They were still able to post and chat with people. Says nothing about start copying your favorite post becasue screw you we are going to take them down anyway.

They're not going anywhere (at least for the moment.) They're up and running fine right now.

What has been removed is the Web site. That's the main page where previews and such appeared, and the various subsections on rules, products, database and so on.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

NickName wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

They're not going anywhere (at least for the moment.) They're up and running fine right now.

What has been removed is the Web site. That's the main page where previews and such appeared, and the various subsections on rules, products, database and so on.

ah ok. what is weird and thought the boards went away as well is that I went to wizards.com and tried to find the boards for star wars and cannot find anything about the fourms at wizards.com. They only have at the top there brands when you can go to the "community" that way. They way they have there site set up really sucks and hard to navigate if you dont know what you are looking for

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

StriderRe80 wrote:
ah ok. what is weird and thought the boards went away as well is that I went to wizards.com and tried to find the boards for star wars and cannot find anything about the fourms at wizards.com. They only have at the top there brands when you can go to the "community" that way. They way they have there site set up really sucks and hard to navigate if you dont know what you are looking for

Would you like a link?

http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/v ... ar_Wars174

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:40 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Dendrite wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

Would you like a link?

http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/v ... ar_Wars174

thanks but no thanks. Like i said i really could care less if the boards there go away or not becasue i have not been there in forever. I was able to go there after i knew they were still there and find them but I had to go threw the magic boards to find it as the community.wizards.com is were you will actually find a link called forums and find it. the way they are handling some of this stuff is really stupid and with the economy the way it is I am surprised that they would not want to handle it a little better to try and get more consumers.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I found it again, it was like it was gone and then back, now I'm confused

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

Last edited by dalsiandon on Sat May 29, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:56 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Wow this is really sad. It really sucks that all that good stuff is gone. Scenarios, articles, everything!! I really hope that this will be available for the public again at some point, whether it'll be coming from WotC or the players. I will be very unhappy if all of that is just lost.

Anyways, i have the rules inserts from CotF through MotF if anyone needs them.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:05 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

NickName wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Edit - and even better than making it "civil" - let's make this productive. Let's start collecting the material we all have scattered around, as I know several of us have been pulling material from the wotc site for a while now and get it all made into PDFs and put in the download section of the site. We will need the Rules inserts (while we are at it let's just get everyone scanned into PDF), errata, articles, and whatever else we have saved. We all knew this was coming, and many of us have already recovered some of this material (I think we have all we need between us), so let's get organizing it. Lobostele can put it on the main page as we recover it. (Do you like how I just nominated you :))

I think I have all the rules related stuff covered and will get it up on HOLOCRON soonish.

So if people could concentrate on scenarios and articles that would be less repetitious.

Man, I had planned this weekend to go in and get all the product info and booster pics for our set info archive and got beat! :D Off to the browser cache and google cache to see what I can recover....

I was having trouble finding anything of the cached variety, it was one of the first things I tried, but oh well.

I recall you saying on bloomilk as well that you had the errata and FAQ type stuff being worked on for Holocron so that's somethignt o definitely look forward too.

Otherwise I'll toss this link to Dantooine Base because I don't believe I saw it mentioned. I do see several have mentioned they have some material but hey.. a direct links certainly better than a flooded PM or e-mail box haha.

http://dantooine.hardscribble.net/index ... &Itemid=26

They happen to have the rules/checklists for all sets in pdf format in each section per set when you view them. So that stuff will be easily had, and then in their Miscellaneous section they have other stuff of their own design thats either fun and useful. I'm glad I was pointed into this sites direction, kinda cooled down the temporary "freak-out" when the site was down.

I was trying to look at the FAQ during a vassal game when i came to realize the site was down.. not one of the better moments.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I would like LFL to host the information, I mean, if they own it.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

this was found by one of the RPGers http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.wizards.com/starwars

its archvied all the way up to 2008 only however so it may not be usefull at all...but who knows

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Well that is better than nothing for the folks interested. I considered getting the RPG stuff but decided against it, the ink isn't worth the cost whne it's an RPG and half the fun is making stuff up.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon